PDA

View Full Version : My Linoype Lead Spacers Measure 22bhn

detox
09-12-2013, 03:35 PM
Here are my testing results. My spacing strips tested 22 bhn (Saeco 10 ). This is exactly what Linotype measures. Some say spacers are softer than linotype?

The Saeco gauge shows that marks line up on 10 (Saeco 10). This converts to 22 bhn using the Saeco instructions.

Purdy and well filled out boolits BTW

KYCaster
09-12-2013, 10:04 PM
OMG!!! You're telling me you read something on the internet that isn't true??? :shock:

Next thing I know, you'll try to tell me stick on WW aren't all pure lead.......

or, isotope containers aren't all the same alloy..........

or, you can't make Lyman #2 alloy from WW and Sn.......

Where will it end......:groner:

Jerry

dilly
09-12-2013, 10:35 PM
Anyone else care to chime in? Are his results typical? Were these things handled the same way in every print shop, or did some use separate alloys for different pieces? If I get linotype with lead spacers, can I assume they are the same alloy?

mikeym1a
09-12-2013, 10:42 PM
These things were used in printing. The spacing had to be pretty precise. If you used a softer material as a spacer, pretty soon, your spaces are going to be irregular. I have some 'foundry type', and spacers for same. The spacers test the same hardness as the type. It only makes sense, to me.

fryboy
09-12-2013, 11:13 PM
from my understanding the spacers didnt get melted down as much and consequentially suffer from alloy loss , this doesnt always hold true but the ones i smelted ran the same as the lino using a lee tester ( same barrel of assorted lino and spacers tested in separate smelts ) [shrugz]

bangerjim
09-12-2013, 11:54 PM
I have lots of "leading" spacers used in printing. Some are 9bnh....some are 20+bnh. Depends on who made them and when.

My older leading (ca 1900) is softer than the new ones I just got at the scrap yard 2 weeks ago.

Best thing is melt them down as separate items and measure the bnh and stamp it into the ingots for casting......like I do.

bangerjim

KYCaster
09-13-2013, 01:15 AM
Anyone else care to chime in? Are his results typical? Were these things handled the same way in every print shop, or did some use separate alloys for different pieces? If I get linotype with lead spacers, can I assume they are the same alloy?

You can assume whatever you want, but if it doesn't have a manufacturer's ID on it, you don't know what it is.

If you bought it as scrap then that's what it is....scrap. If it didn't come with a certified analysis then you don't know for sure what's in it. You can make an educated guess based on previous experience with similar scrap, but it's just a guess.

Jerry

pls1911
09-13-2013, 01:09 PM
I bought a 55 gallon drum of "print metal" years ago on the cheap, and I'm still going though it.
I never paid attention to the spacers, as I figured the worst they could be was wonderful.
In the drum were many huge blocks of headline lettering as well as seasonal column art castings and commercial trademark castings.
I just can't bring myself to melt down this little piece of magnificent Americana.
I have plenty of other alloy for boolits.

Defcon-One
09-13-2013, 05:56 PM
My spacers were all pure Linotype at about 22 BHN!

But, I agree with bangerjim 100%!

I have lots of "leading" spacers used in printing. Some are 9bnh....some are 20+bnh. Depends on who made them and when.

My older leading (ca 1900) is softer than the new ones I just got at the scrap yard 2 weeks ago.

Best thing is melt them down as separate items and measure the bnh and stamp it into the ingots for casting......like I do.

bangerjim

fecmech
09-13-2013, 10:12 PM
I bought 300 lbs of new in the wrapper spacers from a print shop some years ago. Same as new linotype.

williamwaco
09-13-2013, 10:27 PM
40 years ago, I got my linotype from an old printer who owned his own print shop. A one man operation.
He made his own spacers and made them from the same linotype as his type.

A couple of years ago, I bought 1,000 lbs of linotype from a printshop that was going ( or had gone ) digital.
It was still on blocks of lines, like columns of print.

The spacers were dark grey. totally different color from the type lines.
They were much easier to bend, so, I expected them to be much softer than the lino.

I separated them out and when I got enough to smelt them, I was surprised to find that they tested BNH 16.

1bilmr59
09-14-2013, 12:54 AM
What is lino ?

Airman Basic
09-14-2013, 05:51 AM
What is lino ?

http://bit.ly/14U2dNH

williamwaco
09-15-2013, 09:31 PM

NEAT! :shock:

howjadothat?

NewbieDave007
09-16-2013, 10:46 AM

I know I shouldn't laugh, but I did. I would also like to know how you did that.

OBIII
09-16-2013, 12:31 PM
Some people, it seems, just have way too much free time on their hands. :kidding: