PDA

View Full Version : Where would one find a 3HP 3 Phase Replacement motor used?

Just Duke
09-12-2013, 12:47 PM
Where would one find a 3HP 3 Phase Replacement motor used?
C base I believe the machine says.
RPM is 3200 or 3250.

W.R.Buchanan
09-12-2013, 01:27 PM
Duke: this is not going to be easy and will require copious quantities of Divine intervention to pull off.

If there is an industrial electrical company near you that rebuilds motors,, like for the oil fields, they would be probably the best source.

Otherwise, Look at used machine tool companies. Craig's List and local equivalents, and possibly surplus type stores.

I have to tell you that even I,,, who frequently look for such things, and have many connections,,, would consider it an act of God himself if I found something so specialized.

If you do find something quickly it should be viewed as "being in the good graces of himself."

Randy

oldred
09-12-2013, 01:32 PM
Why would a 3 ph 3 hp motor be hard to find? Actually they should be easy to come by, I just bought a brand new 5 hp GE 3 ph on E-Bay for less than $70 delivered.

Surplus Center is a good place for those motors and lot of other goodies.

www.surpluscenter.com

Example,

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Baldor-3HP-C-frame-Motor-/171124932105?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27d7d73e09

Randy, I assume you were joking?

lancem
09-12-2013, 01:48 PM
+1 on Surplus Center, a great place for lots of stuff, I buy all of my hydraulic stuff from them and several motors in the past.

oldred
09-12-2013, 02:13 PM
When I get my new Surplus Center catalog it's more fun than a Sears&Robuck at Christmas time!! :D

W.R.Buchanan
09-12-2013, 02:50 PM
Red: He said "Used."

New ones are all over the place. I got side tracked during my post and forgot to mention new ones would probably be easier.

A little Divine Intervention never hurts, anyway?

Randy

Zymurgy50
09-12-2013, 03:08 PM
To have it rebuilt would cost you more than new, unless you are looking for 10hp or above. I would look at equipment salvage yards, or call a local motor shop and see what they can do for you.

Just Duke
09-12-2013, 03:56 PM
Looks like I made a mistake. I can go with the 4 bolt mounting system after all. The four bolt that mount by the shaft.

oldred
09-12-2013, 04:07 PM
Red: He said "Used."Randy

Ah so he did! Funny how overlooking one little word can make such a difference, I couldn't help but wonder why a 3 HP 3 PH motor would be so hard to find.

Dale in Louisiana
09-12-2013, 05:40 PM
If it's three-phase, I'm betting RPM will be closer to 3600 RPM, like 3550 or so.

You might want to check locally for used, but as a guy who deals with electric motors daily i can tell you that you might be surprised at the price for a new one.

voltage is an important number. I expect a three-horse motor to be 208, 230 or 460. I just found one on line for $693. That's expensive. You should be able to do better.

What's wrong with the one you have? IF the windings didn't fail and the bearing housings and shafts are okay, replacing bearings isn't expensive.

dale in Louisiana
(electric motors from 1/4 - 22,000 HP at work)

jmorris
09-12-2013, 06:10 PM
Surplus center does not have very good deals, they seem to have lost "surplus" 5+ years ago.

ebay is your place, take your time though. 3hp 3ph gear motor with brake $30 shipped, 5hp 3 ph baldor for $50 are two of the deals I have had from there.

In your search narrow to auction only and ending soon. Once you find one you want, set a timer for 5 minutes before the auction ends. Now figure out how much you are willing to spend the subtract the shipping cost from that number. That will give you the number you want to bid once there is less than a minute left in the auction.

For every one I "win", I loose 50 but I don't get just good deals, I wait for the great ones.

Norbrat
09-12-2013, 06:18 PM
Once you find one you want, set a timer for 5 minutes before the auction ends. Now figure out how much you are willing to spend the subtract the shipping cost from that number. That will give you the number you want to bid once there is less than a minute left in the auction.

I just use biddingscheduler http://biddingscheduler.com/

Just Duke
09-12-2013, 09:53 PM
56C Frame

Ford SD
09-13-2013, 08:26 AM
Not to hijack the thread

but found this site to covert 2 phase to 3 phase

http://www.andersonconverters.com/

jmorris
09-13-2013, 09:11 AM
Rotary phase converters like the link above are better than static converters for a number of uses. VFD's like these http://www.automationdirect.com/adc/Overview/Catalog/Drives/GS2_(115_-z-_230_-z-_460_-z-_575_VAC_V-z-Hz_Control)/GS2_Drive_Units_(115_-z-_230_-z-_460_-z-_575_VAC) are often a great choice. starting around $100 and allow speed control, reversing and many other features. like running a 230v 3 ph motor off of a 110v single phase outlet.

Thanks Norbrat, I'll have to give that a shot.

jmorris
09-13-2013, 09:14 AM
If you don't want to go through the wait and bidding process here is one for $176

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?sbk=1&nav=SEARCH&itemId=290942111219

Tdart
09-13-2013, 09:37 AM
I happen to have a used one in practically brand new condition! PM me if interested.

Just Duke
09-13-2013, 02:30 PM
Rotary phase converters like the link above are better than static converters for a number of uses. VFD's like these http://www.automationdirect.com/adc/Overview/Catalog/Drives/GS2_(115_-z-_230_-z-_460_-z-_575_VAC_V-z-Hz_Control)/GS2_Drive_Units_(115_-z-_230_-z-_460_-z-_575_VAC) are often a great choice. starting around $100 and allow speed control, reversing and many other features. like running a 230v 3 ph motor off of a 110v single phase outlet.

The link is dead.

Just Duke
09-13-2013, 02:34 PM

Exactly what I need to do.

jmorris
09-13-2013, 05:41 PM
Try this link.‎

www.automationdirect.com/VFD

I have both the GS1 and GS2 units. The GS1 starts under $100, the GS2 around $150. All of the ones I am using are fed 120v single phase and controling 230v 3ph; however, I am only driving 1/2 hp or less motors.

For 3hp, I think you will need a GS2 and will have to supply 230v single phase, so all it will get you is 3ph power, speed control and one touch reverse.

andremajic
10-10-2013, 11:02 AM
http://www.yellowpages.com/las-vegas-nv/electric-motor-rewinding

I'd call around locally and find if they have one that has been rebuilt, or maybe one that a customer ordered that was never picked up or paid for. That way you can also take your motor in and compare the part in hand to the replacement. Another advantage of buying locally is the possiblity of getting burnt on a bad deal is a lot lower, since they know you can come back to the shop if there's a problem.
Paying to have one rebuilt, unless it's a HUGE motor is generally prohibitively expensive.

I got a brand new baldor 1hp 3ph from a local rebuild shop that a customer had ordered and never picked up. They just wanted the manufacturers price for it, instead of retail, which was a significant savings.

Hope this helped.

leftiye
10-11-2013, 06:27 AM
Surplus Center

unclogum bill
10-11-2013, 10:03 PM
State auctions are a good place but I know if you punch in Ebay you will see a bunch. I guess I bought 3 or four motors off them for compressors, lathe' jointer or such , so far no problems.

Garyshome
10-11-2013, 11:26 PM
Grainger.

seagiant
10-13-2013, 11:48 AM
Hi Duke,
I've got a 3PH 5HP motor but it runs at 1730 RPM. You are welcome to it, but it does not sound like what you are looking for?

bedbugbilly
10-20-2013, 08:39 PM
Check with industrial electricians in your area - they may just know where there is one sitting like you need. Also, you might check and keep track of industrial auctions - I had a woodworking/millwork shop years go and I often found good used motors at industrial auctions - sometime had to buy a machine in order to get it and then either peddle the machine or scrap it. That was before scrap prices were high and recycling was big. You just have to be persistent, put out a lot of "feelers" and see what surfaces in your area. I'm in Michigan and years ago, 3 phase motors went begging at auctions because not too many folks had 3 phase. Now, you have to compete with those who want to scrap 'em for the copper and other metals. You also might put an ad on Craig's List in your area and see if anything shows up. Good luck!

felix
10-20-2013, 09:17 PM
Dale in LA state is correct. A good motor will have its bearings shot within the first hour of run because of power circuit noise. Bearings lasting 10 times longer are the solution and usually are an after market deal. Race car engines use ceramic bearings in all the high heat, high electrical noise places, so why not your home motor too? Any time a phase converter is connected, bearings become the most important part of that motor, no matter how clean the incoming voltage is. Ask Dale what motor is desired for the load you have, and then via him select the converter. Baldor and others make very good ones and can double rated rotational speed as well as converting 110 single to whatever 3 phase voltage-maxcurrent desired. ... felix