PDA

View Full Version : Messed up lee 6 cavity

jonk
09-12-2013, 11:04 AM
I have a Lee 325 170ish gr flat nose group buy mold. Wonderful design, shot very accurate. Shot. Past tense.

Awhile back, a board member was asking for some 8mm bullets; I sent him some samples, he said that he was very pleased with the results and asked if he could borrow the mold. I stupidly said yes; he sent me money as collateral, kept the mold for a few weeks, and returned it. Visually it looked fine, so I sent him his money back.

I should have cast with it first. Unfortunately I didn't cast with it until like 6 months after the loan, so I would have felt stupid calling him out on it at that point.

The .325 now drops at .333. Sizing down to .325 obliterates most of the lube grooves. Looking at the way the two halves meet, there is obviously some warping going on. Daylight is plainly visible between the mold halves if you hold it up to the light. It's almost like it's been beagled; teh bullets actually shoot ok out of my 8X56R, but I only have one of those, and have a dozen or so 8mm standard diameter guns. Lee said they can't do anything for a custom mold. However, I think that a machinist could likely mill a thousandth or two off of each side and make the block halves meet true again. Even if this messed up the vent lines, I could re-etch those without too much effort.

Anyone here know of someone who can/would do that, or otherwise have suggestions?

USAFrox
09-12-2013, 11:06 AM
Wouldn't that just leave you with oval bullets, then? If you take material off in one dimension, your bullets will no longer come out round. Sorry to say, i think you may just have to cut your losses. That sucks, sorry.

jonk
09-12-2013, 11:14 AM
Kicker of it is, I have not found a bullet that shoots as well since. I even contacted the original designer about re-running the group buy; he suggested MiHec do it, but was being very protective of the drawings- said he'd contact MiHec directly. Whether he did or not, I don't know, as he did not answer any of my follow up questions on the matter.

Echd
09-12-2013, 11:30 AM
That's a shame. Maybe they can draw one up for you over at Accurate molds?

Hate that you had a bad experience, the trades and buying and selling here have been great for me!

nhrifle
09-12-2013, 11:42 AM
If you milled the mould block faces so they were flat, the boolits would definitely cast out of round, but I think you could lap the cavities round again and restore the mould to operating condition. I'd be happy to skim them for you if you want, you take care of postage both ways and I will true them up. Let me know.

Hardcast416taylor
09-12-2013, 11:52 AM
I once loaned a 4 hole Lyman mold to a "friend" to use once. I got it back about 2 months later. The sprue plate was beat and peened as if a steel hammer had been used on it. It was warped, both the plate and the mold block on 1 side, extreme heat discoloring was evident everywhere. Nothing remotely resembled the near new mold I loaned him. He acted like it should look like this. After a "few" words he said he would replace it. It took over 6 months before I got a new mold and handles from him. Oddly enough, he bad mouthed me to others about being a crook and hard case to deal with.Robert

skeet1
09-12-2013, 12:28 PM
I almost never will lend anything out, it is a good way to cause problems between friends. I will however help someone by using my equipment to get the results they want. This comes from from an experience years ago.

I owned an old 1948 International pickup, it was no beauty but a good truck. A long time friend asked to use it and I let him. The truck came back with an empty gas tank and a broken side window. I never said a thing to him about it and took it as a good lesson learned.

Ken

MarkP
09-12-2013, 12:52 PM
Kicker of it is, I have not found a bullet that shoots as well since. I even contacted the original designer about re-running the group buy; he suggested MiHec do it, but was being very protective of the drawings- said he'd contact MiHec directly. Whether he did or not, I don't know, as he did not answer any of my follow up questions on the matter.

Jonk if you have a boolit I will measure it up at work and make you a CAD drawing over lunch in the next few days. I have no idea why some are so Secretive about their drawings. I have had Tom @ Accurate make me several molds from my drawings, they have all been spot on. I would highly recommend Accurate Molds

PM me I would enjoy helping you out.

My wife loaned her sister my pickup, when I drove it next the tailgate kept on coming down, later discovered the tail hinges were all bent up and the plastic cap was broken. She must have backed up into something with the tailgate down.

M Hicks
09-12-2013, 01:16 PM
What MarkP said might be one of your best options. That is a pretty good gesture too.

MtGun44
09-12-2013, 01:16 PM
I NEVER lend a mold. I'll give some samples, but lending is not on the list.

Bill

BruceB
09-12-2013, 01:44 PM
Full agreement here with not lending moulds. Many years ago, I had a 4-cavity Lyman 35863 wadcutter mould which never did make it 'home' again. That cured me!

EXCEPT..... giving full credit where credit is due, I WILL loan moulds, books, anything.... to NVCurmudgeon, a close friend whose acquaintance was made as a direct result of this very website. We met at the first Nevada Cast Bullet Shoot in 2000, and he has proven to be a friend for the ages. ANYTHING of mine is his to command.

joesig
09-12-2013, 03:17 PM
If excess650's method doesn't work and the diameter at the parting line is .325 a steady hand with a fine file across the faces or some fine sandpaper on glass will fix you up. Obviously you'll have to knock the pins out first. Take and record micrometer readings of the thickness of the block so you know you have taken off the required amount. It may take a little trial and error (sand, check for light between the halves, take a measurement) but it can be fixed.

PS Paul
09-12-2013, 05:02 PM
Bummer. I've loaned molds to fellas on the forum AND was very generously loaned a mansom reamer for .45 Colt from another fella on this forum.

Molds were returned as I sent 'em and I sent the reamer along to another fella who the owner loaned it to. Makes me sorry to hear these sort of stories.

Springfield
09-12-2013, 06:00 PM
I suppose it could be warped but I would bet that it is the alignment pins holding the mould faces apart. Or even a small piece of lead stuck to the mould, sometimes thay are difficult to see. i put on my 5x magnifying lenses and take a good look at mould faces when I have this problem, usually find something.

leadman
09-12-2013, 06:08 PM
Take some Comet cleanser and a toothbrush and scrub the mold faces. This makes it very easy to see if there is lead stuck on the faces. And again the pins and bushings do move.
If you find nothing and it is still showing light between the halves do clamp it tightly in a vise with some protection for the aluminum. I have used this successfully several times to correct a Lee mold.
Also look for some lead stuck in one of the aligmnent bushings. Found this condition earlier today on one of my molds.

denul
09-12-2013, 06:28 PM
Several years ago, I had a Lee GB mold that I dropped and damaged. It was very early after the molds shipped, and Lee replaced it free even though it was my fault. I get the impression that they don't keep the drawings for GB's for long.

chboats
09-13-2013, 10:22 AM
Jonk - I go along with what excess650 and Springfield said about the guide pins. I have had this happen to a couple of Lee molds. Tap the pins back to where they belong and stake them in place. The guide pins are easy to fix, warping is another story.

Carl

blackthorn
09-13-2013, 10:40 AM
I live by the old saying: "Neither a borrower nor a lender be"! I think that if I can't afford to buy my own, then I can't afford to replace anything I damage or break. If I need to "try before buy" I would ask to buy a few samples.