PDA

View Full Version : Ruger P89

tbierley
09-11-2013, 10:21 PM
Has anyone had any dealing with the Ruger P89. I just a stainless P89 on a trade in 9mm. Has anyone had any problems loading cast in it.

454PB
09-11-2013, 10:57 PM
The P-89 (and a P-85) Ruger I own do fine with cast. I size all my 9mm to .357", because I own four of them, and .357" works for all.

My P pistols aren't tack drivers, but will keep 15 shots in a palm sized group at 25 yards.

MT Gianni
09-11-2013, 11:56 PM
I had a p-89 that I had to have as the 94 magazine ban was kicking in. The second happiest day with it was the day i bought it the happiest was the day I sold it. It had the worst DA trigger I have ever shot and 1200 rds later it had not shot in at all. It shot OK with jacketed but the best group with cast @ 25 yards was 6". It did not help much that my first mold was a Lee 125 tltc. That prejudiced me against tl molds ever shooting. I also tried the LY 356402 and 358242 124 gr with somewhat more consistent results. The biggest problem for me was that it weighed slightly less than a super redhawk or so it felt.

dragonrider
09-12-2013, 12:21 AM
Not a P89 but my P85 does very well with cast. Eats anything I feed it. I have never handled a P89 so I can't say what differences there are to consider.

baker1425
09-12-2013, 05:20 PM
If the action is horrible on the P89, time for springs (http://www.gunsprings.com/index.cfm?page=items&cID=1&mID=52). Don't be surprised if you take it apart and find unpolished surfaces and casting marks. A lot of my agency carried the P85 in the late 80s, all of them had to have their final polish done around the sear and hammer area. The interesting thing was, they still shot even with a 22 lb trigger pull (no exaggeration). There's several youtube videos that show detailed disassembly. I don't have a 9mm ruger to tell you about accuracy with cast, but I know they're reliable.

contender1
09-12-2013, 10:33 PM
Well, as an owner of a pair of P-85's and a single P-89,, I have a bit of experience.
Not a whole lot of difference in the two models.
Yes,, cast will shoot fine in them. As with any caliber/boolit/gun combo,, you have to find the "balance."
Many people are turned off by the bulk & size of the P series. Add in the fact that the DA action isn't snot slick,, many complain.
But a friend in our club has put well over 60,000 (yep that's right) rounds of cast through his P-85. He has worn out a few other parts, but the gun keeps on going.
So, load up some cast & have at it!

9.3X62AL
09-13-2013, 12:40 AM
I have a Ruger P-89X, this variant has a swap barrel in 30 Luger and a lighter recoil spring/guide rod to service the smaller caliber. The 9mm barrel is lead-friendly as can be, and my particular example can shoot nearly as accurately as my SIG P-226.......though their triggers are LIGHT-YEARS APART in aesthetic quality. The 30 Luger barrel shoots very close to the 9mm barrel in terms of hitting where the sights direct things. The pistol is reliable to a fault, too. The trigger is not highly refined, and that is my sole grievance with the thing. That is not exactly uncommon in 1980s-90s double-action autopistols, though. S&Ws weren't SIG-Sauers in similar respects, for darn certain.