View Full Version : J. C. Higgins Model 20 Hammer Follow?

John 242
09-11-2013, 09:50 PM
I'm currently working on a J. C. Higgins Model 20, 12 GA shotgun. I'm trying to figure out whether "hammer follow" is a design feature, or if there is wrong with the trigger group.

When I received the gun, it was in pieces. I was told that there was something wrong with the slide lock. I replaced a missing trigger lock pawl spring and had to replace the pawl because it was incompatible with the spring. According to the Numrich schematic, all parts are present and accounted for. However, when the trigger is held down, the hammer "follows" the bolt forward. A little internet research says that this might be a design feature of this shotgun.

Anybody familiar with one of these?

Ragnarok
09-12-2013, 10:03 AM
Hmmm...The Winchester M1897 and Chinese clone shotguns will do that..as will the Ithaca Model 37...Don't know about the JC Higgins/High Standard pumps though?

With the Winchesters and Ithaca..you can hold the trigger and pump the gun and shoot it empty as quick as you can pump...the hammer isn't really following the bolt home...it's tripping the hammer when the bolt closes

John 242
09-12-2013, 03:04 PM
On the J.C. Higgins Model 20, if the trigger is held rearward and the action is cycled, the hammer is not caught by the sear and merely follows the bolt and bolt carrier to the uncocked position. The trigger must be released before the action is cycled if the sear is to catch the hammer and retain it in the cocked position.

Hope this helps.

PB

Thank you, very much. This is exactly what I was trying to figure out and I really appreciate the information.