PDA

View Full Version : Help using a six cavity mould please

Aaron
10-25-2007, 12:46 AM
I have my first Lee six cavity GB mould. It is Sean's .502. I have been accumulating my equipment and lead and tried casting some tonight for the first time. I have a 40 pound Magma pot that the bottom pour has two streams of lead going at the same time. How do I fill all six cavities without making a huge mess? I removed the tab for pouring a two cavity mould and start on one end of the mould and move it through the streams of lead front to back. But this method has alot of overflow which gets everywhere. There's got to be a better way

Thanks

Aaron

leftiye
10-25-2007, 01:28 AM
I think I'd plug one up. That or get the crap out of the nozzle that's causing it to make two streams.

Buckshot
10-25-2007, 01:38 AM
..............Really hard to advise without actually being there to see what's happening and how it's set up. I have the Lee 20lb pot and I'd drilled the spout out. It will pour a substantial stream if wide open. For me, I push the mould in. Doing that I tilt the blocks down (lift the handle end). My setup is such that I can see the top of the mould while pouring.

Maybe you can visualize that how the countersinks in the sprueplate are angled, as the cavity becomes full, excess lead is directed toward the front of the mould (cavities previously filled). If you were to start at the rear (handle end) and were to pull the mould toward you, you would lower the handle end.

The angle of the countersink at each cavity becomes more acute, and as a consequence tends to direct the lead back toward you (again, to priviously filled cavities).

.................Buckshot

Aaron
10-25-2007, 01:39 AM
It is designed to have the two streams line up with two cavities.

Thanks

fivegunner
10-25-2007, 04:38 AM
I think you can buy a new Plate for your magma pot that has just one hole . I think that you might want to try a ladel and cast that way untill you figure out the cure for the bottom pour problem. I have a 90LB Magma and it was a bear to get it to work for me. :castmine::Fire: