PDA

View Full Version : Pietta navy SxS

bigted
09-11-2013, 02:47 PM
just bought a Navy Arms Pietta manufactured 12 gauge SxS from a friend here and am I impressed with it. gonna get some photo's a bit later but wanted to report my fine purchase now as I took it out yesterday to shake it up and see what is possible with it.

load 1 = 80 grains GOEX 2F powder with a thick cushion wad over powder and the 80 grain measure to hold the #4 shot then a over shot card. capped with a cci #11 cap on each barrel and my ... this load is rite on the money at 35 yards. hammers the bank rite where I point it with both barrels.

load 2 = 90 grains powder and the 90 grain measure full with same #4 shot. this also hits rite where I point it with both barrels at the 35 yards.

load 3 = 80 grains powder behind a .690 patched ball and same cap ... this hummer hits any rock I wanna punch with it and apparently both barrels at this range hit rite together.

load 4 = 90 grains behind the same ball's. same cap and except for the slightly more recoil in this little lite 12 gauge shotgun double it does the same and hits the same place.

load 5 = same 90 grain load behind the same ball's only now I set up a target at the 35 yards to see where for sure the barrels are regulated to and WALLA ... sighting along the barrel with the bead I aim below the bull in a 6 o-clock hold and MY the holes were just 1 inch apart horizontally and just under the bull ... rite where the bead was pointing. the right barrel is printing on the right side and the left barrel is pointing to the left side ... how fine can this be?

to say im tickled is an understatement. this shotgun is more fun then I ever imagined. im thinking I better be a bit more quiet about my find or he may decide he wants it back ... [smilie=s:

do any of you have a like shotgun that you may have some suggestions for this new comer to shotgun bp shooting?

thanks for your valuable info in advance.

Swede44mag
09-11-2013, 05:12 PM
This post needs pictures so we all can enjoy.

crawfobj
09-11-2013, 05:54 PM

Absolutely!!!

bigted
09-11-2013, 06:25 PM

ok fine ... ill try but no guarantee

http://i777.photobucket.com/albums/yy55/bigted1956/31_zps26bb447c.jpg (http://s777.photobucket.com/user/bigted1956/media/31_zps26bb447c.jpg.html)

http://i777.photobucket.com/albums/yy55/bigted1956/32_zps7834fd4f.jpg (http://s777.photobucket.com/user/bigted1956/media/32_zps7834fd4f.jpg.html)

this is a photo of the target at 35 yards. I shook the second shot ...[one on the left lower]... but they were within 1 inch of each other horizontally. blow mind!!!

http://i777.photobucket.com/albums/yy55/bigted1956/33_zpsab4abeb0.jpg (http://s777.photobucket.com/user/bigted1956/media/33_zpsab4abeb0.jpg.html)

so there she is and I hope they come thru but I guarantee they don't do this shooter justice. what a gas for sure. im impressed with how she recoils and where she prints with both loads and both shot and ball. this will accompany me on many forays into the wild blue.

nekshot
09-11-2013, 06:46 PM
Thats a sweet unit for sure, I like it. Reminds me I have a new 16ga dbl in a box waiting to get placed in a muzzle loader build. Your regulation there sounds kinda like my poor mans double rifle it crosses around 35 yards so I set the sight on for the right barrel and use the left barrel first. Its in range on the target to 70 yards and then the right barrel is right on from there out except for elevation. I hope that makes sence.

Nobade
09-11-2013, 08:54 PM
Hmmm.....looks like a nice shotgun ya have there!

-Nobade

bigted
09-11-2013, 11:08 PM
Hmmm.....looks like a nice shotgun ya have there!

-Nobade

please don't begin repossession papers ... :drinks: ... [smilie=l: ... :kidding:

gnoahhh
09-12-2013, 01:40 PM
Sweet! I have its twin, but never fired anything but shot charges out of it. I guess now I have to scrounge up some .690 balls...

GARD72977
09-12-2013, 01:58 PM
I bet you have had those Kmart targets a very long time!!!!

bigted
09-12-2013, 03:13 PM
I bet you have had those Kmart targets a very long time!!!!

LOL didn't think that would come thru ... why yes they have been layin round fer awhile. I like the big ol bull in black for these tired ol eyes.

GARD72977
09-12-2013, 04:36 PM
That is a very nice gun. Im wanting a SxS to hunt with. I have bought a ton of guns because I wanted to go hunting and never did. We will see what this winter brings.

bigted
09-13-2013, 06:14 PM
took it out yesterday and also brought my 2 inch thick x 8 inch diameter gong and set it up at 50 yards. everytime I hit the thing it danced with a fury. my 45-70 just makes it dance like that with heavy smokless rounds and in my ruger #1

I could hit the dang thing way more then a miss. with some trigger work on the lock's im bettin that this and some decent sights ... this will be a moose gettin outfit. thinkin that if it will be a repeatable thing ... maybe ill make a poormans double rifle...smoothbore rifle that is. then I can do shot for birds n bunny's and crank it up with the round balls for bigger critters.

YEE HAA

45 Bravo
09-14-2013, 01:12 AM
My best friend just picked up one of these for $170.
We were using 70gr of 2f, 2 lubed cardboard over powder wads(cut from regular cardboard boxes, lubed with wonderlube), an equal amount of #6 shot, and a overshot card cut from a shoebox.

We retrieved the wads, they are not burned through, the powder side wad is scorched some, the face of it does not show bb impressions, the other wad does. But there again, it supported the shot column, and was Also intact..

It shoots and patterns well with both barrels.

In looking at the photos, he suffers from the same problem here, he has with his flintlock, he closes his eyes when he pulls the trigger..

But the right hand trigger is atrocious, the left is better.
How are your triggers?

We have not tried it with slug or ball.

45 Bravo

http://i43.tinypic.com/2zi3azr.jpg
http://i41.tinypic.com/ifsmtx.jpg
http://i40.tinypic.com/35hg2hl.jpg

bigted
09-15-2013, 01:35 AM
this shotgun is exactly the same with the right trigger or front is very heavy and this is the set I wanna work on. the left or rear trigger is nice and soft but crisp and a joy to shoot as is. wonder the why of the front trigger being so tough ... ive have smokeless doubles and they all seem to have a fairly heavy front or right barrel trigger.

nice thing about this is the ease of removing the right lock and the leaf springs are fairly easy to deal with. will post when I do the deed just for giggles.

another thing for giggles. I am now aware of a set of 14 inch barrels for this little shotgun soooo ... if anyone has knowledge of a set that may be for sale id be very interested. I gotta have a short set but WILL NOT cut these as they do regulate so well.... I would be interested in a regular barrel set as I feel like I can do a fair to middlin job of shortenin em myself. be grateful for the extra eyes lookin for another set of barrels for this Pietta Navy Arms double.

Nobade
09-15-2013, 09:29 AM
It is the leverage the two triggers have. The rear has way more leverage than the front. If you think that front trigger is heavy now you should have seen it before! I couldn't get it to fire when I first got the shotgun. It certainly has room to get lighter but I didn't want to take it too far and make it unsafe. But a little polishing on the lock internals went a long way to making it better.

-Nobade

bigted
09-15-2013, 01:12 PM
naaa wasn't sniffling about it at all. for shotgunning with shot it is great. not so much for the rifle like shooting with balls. the front needs a bit of concentration to get a good letoff for a good hold while squeezing.

I can see what your talkin bout tho with the leverage tho ... the front IS way shorter in the leverage dept. and the front that hinges on the same pin is enough longer to provide the better leverage for smooth trigger letoff.

hey Nobade ... have you ever run across another set of barrels for this shooter?

Nobade
09-15-2013, 06:48 PM
No, I haven't. I wish I could have found some though, years ago I had a 12 inch 12ga. SXS and it was really entertaining. It would be pretty neat to find another set of barrels to cut down and do that to. I was sorely tempted to do it to those you have now but they were too nice and I couldn't bring myself to do it. A word of warning though, if you have never done that be sure your soldering skills are top notch when you get ready. Filling in the hole in the end after you cut it off is about the most frustrating thing I can think of doing.

-Nobade

bigted
09-15-2013, 10:03 PM
LOL ... yes sir!!! in my youth when "entertainment" was more important then usefulness I snipped a couple pretty nice doubles and that dang hole betwixt the barrels is still stuck in my mind and the steel wool I stuffed in there to build a platform for the solder to settle on. I also uttered a bunch of profound intelligent words in the endeavor but did finally get the hang of it. thought I had heated em too much on one shotgun and lucked out to have the silver solder stay put but just from pure dumb luck ... not by any intelligent's for sure.

no sir these barrels have earned a place just the way they are. if they had regulated off then I planned on doing some shadetree work on em but ... nope ... they stay as they are. may still do some type of front and rear sights but the barrels themselves will not be changes in the least.

starmac
09-20-2013, 05:11 PM
Will those work with steel shot?? It may be time for a trip to minto lakes. lol

gnoahhh
09-21-2013, 03:17 PM
I wouldn't use steel shot in one. I have hunted geese with mine, using #2 Nice Shot non-tox shot, 1 ounce of it over 3 drams of powder. Knocked a few geese **** over teakettle, at around 25 yards over decoys.

fouronesix
09-21-2013, 06:05 PM
Will those work with steel shot?? It may be time for a trip to minto lakes. lol

If you want to load it like a conventional ML shotgun I'd use a non-toxic other than steel. However, if standard bore, then you can take a steel shot type cup, use steel BB or #2 and simply adjust the shot charge to fill the cup then add the overshot card to hold it all in. You may have to experiment a little in how to slit the cup for the best pattern. To slit a steel shot cup use a really thin bladed cutter like a sharp large bladed X-acto or box cutter.