PDA

View Full Version : Ruger #1 Misfires

keyholer
09-11-2013, 01:05 PM
The rifle is a 30-06 built about 1981. It shows some external blue wear and heat cracking in the bore; it's had some use. The firing pin indent varies from moderate at best to mere tick marks at worst, with occasional misfires. When dry firing, I notice that the breech block moves up slightly (perhaps thirty thousandths) when the hammer strikes. This is true with both an empty chamber and with a fired case in the chamber to provide tension against the breechblock. The breech block has been removed, disassembled and cleaned, with no improvement. The firing pin has a small flat spot where the transfer block had been striking it. Having no previous experience with the #1 action, I'm hoping for advice from more knowledgeable shooters. A few questions come to mind.
1. Is it okay and /or normal for the breechblock to move when the hammer falls?
2. If that movement is unacceptable, perhaps robbing energy from the firing pin, is there a particular part that might be the cause?
3. Can the lever links be installed incorrectly?
Any advice is appreciated.

Ben
09-11-2013, 01:20 PM
What kind of ammo is being fired in the rifle when it is mis-firing ?

Ben

bigted
09-11-2013, 03:23 PM
same thing happened to me with my 375 ruger. when I sized the neck only it worked out well but then I accidently sized em in a full length sizer and punched em into the die far enough to set the shoulder back enough that they also miss fired.

might check your shoulder to base length to be sure the cartridges are within reach of your firing pin.

Gibbs44
09-11-2013, 08:20 PM
The block on mine moves while dry firing, I can't say I've paid attention to it when going live fire. I don't really think there is a wrong way that you can put it back together and have it still work, seems like it might bind if the linkages installed incorrectly would bother anything. I'm basing this on my limited number of times disassembling my No. 1, if I did reassemble incorrectly it still works.

+1 on checking your shoulder to base dimension.

Ben
09-11-2013, 09:11 PM
keyholer

checking your shoulder to base dimension.

Hence my question above. Sounds like your brass has had the shoulder set back too far, creating excessive head space.

Ben

Lloyd Smale
09-13-2013, 05:50 AM
with the ammount of shooting that gun has probably had it could be just crud built up and it just needs a good cleaning.

detox
09-13-2013, 06:15 AM
Make sure your primers are seated fully. Some handheld priming tools require more force of the hand.

starnbar
09-13-2013, 07:19 AM
Have you checked the length of the firing pin against ruger specs? Also check firing pin protrusion through the breech block.

Tatume
09-13-2013, 07:59 AM
Hi Keyholer,

I would send that gun to Ruger. Tell them how much you love the gun, and explain the problems you're having. Then tell them again how much the gun means to you. You'll be pleased with it when it returns.

Take care, Tom

375RUGER
09-13-2013, 08:26 AM
You don't say if you are the first owner or not. I'm going to throw this out-check the hammer strut spring and make sure some one didn't shorten it making it weaker.
Shoot a box of factory ammo in it. If it still misfires, then back to Ruger.

375RUGER
09-13-2013, 08:34 AM
Almost forgot, headspace too long will misfire also. I have a No 1 that won't shoot the ammo for a shot out M77VT because the body is too long, even though the cartridges chamber.

beagle
09-16-2013, 08:59 PM
Probably headspace problems cause by oversizing. You haven't loaded some LP primers by mistake have you. I did that once for a test and it will sure misfire./beagle