PDA

View Full Version : SMLE bolt head question

roysha
09-11-2013, 11:48 AM
A friend has an SMLE made by Savage. The mark and number escape me at the moment but I believe my question is generic enough that it should not matter.

As I understand it the bolt head can be changed to adjust headspace. According to the NRA book we consulted there are 4 sizes from 0 to 3, and the number is stamped on the bolt head.

My question is this: the bolt head of his bolt is stamped with a number 5 (there are no other numbers) and is located in the proper place according to the NRA book, so can someone explain what this 5 signifies?

I tried to google for a chart of bolt head numbers or any information regarding a possible 5 bolt head but came up pretty much with nothing. I'm sure the information is out there but apparently my search parameters were not correct.

JohnS4570
09-11-2013, 12:24 PM
A friend has an SMLE made by Savage. The mark and number escape me at the moment but I believe my question is generic enough that it should not matter.

As I understand it the bolt head can be changed to adjust headspace. According to the NRA book we consulted there are 4 sizes from 0 to 3, and the number is stamped on the bolt head.

My question is this: the bolt head of his bolt is stamped with a number 5 (there are no other numbers) and is located in the proper place according to the NRA book, so can someone explain what this 5 signifies?

I tried to google for a chart of bolt head numbers or any information regarding a possible 5 bolt head but came up pretty much with nothing. I'm sure the information is out there but apparently my search parameters were not correct.

Look for another number on the bolthead of your no.4 mk1* savage mfg Lee Enfield. I believe your will find that what you see as the number 5 is not a number but a stylized S for Savage. The true number should be somewhat smaller and may be worn or lightly struck.

Outpost75
09-11-2013, 01:24 PM
Normal .303 headspace measurements are (0.064" / 0.074") in British military specifications.

A new No. 4 normally is fitted with a 0 (Zero) size bolt head, but if it has a size 1 that’s OK.

After firing 3500-5000 rounds, continued firing compresses the locking lugs, bolt, and the bolt head, shortening the assembly and increasing headspace. Armourers then re-fit the next size "up" bolt head and you away you go again until the barrel is shot out. When the rifle goes Factory Through Repair a new bolt head the next size "up" is fitted with the new barrel.

No. 4 Bolt heads were made in 4 sizes (0, 1, 2, & 3). Only a very few number size 4 were made for wartime use only. Normally if a number 3 does not correct headspace, a new bolt is tried with bolt head 0, 1, 2, or 3. If the headspace still cannot be corrected it means that the lug seats in the receiver were buggered, and such rifles would be scrapped.

To confuse the issue further bolt head size 'numbers' are almost meaningless, due to tolerance overlap. You must ALWAYS use a headspace gage and try SEVERAL bolt heads, because it is necessary to measure the headspace DIMENSION not simply change a bolt head SIZE.

Hardcast416taylor
09-11-2013, 03:18 PM
A few months back I thought I`d try swapping the bolt heads on 3 of my #4 Lee Enfields and an extra #4 complete bolt I had. NONE of the bolt heads would interchange with another bolt body! They were different numbers from a #1 to a #3. I was told on this site that it takes an armorers tool to correctly seat a different bolt head so that it will work properly. I have a Savage #4 that came with an #0 bolt head that I did swap out for a #2 head that luckily required no strong man work to do so.Robert

roysha
09-18-2013, 11:48 AM
"Look for another number on the bolthead of your no.4 mk1* savage mfg Lee Enfield. I believe your will find that what you see as the number 5 is not a number but a stylized S for Savage. The true number should be somewhat smaller and may be worn or lightly struck."

Yup. You are correct. After closer inspection with a strong magnifying glass we could see that it was indeed a stylized "S" and after comparing the Savage bolt to another SMLE bolt we were able to find a VERY lightly struck "0". Thank you for the information.

303Guy
09-24-2013, 09:47 PM
Just to clarify the Lee Enfield nomenclature - the No4 is not an SMLE. The SMLE was a No1. Savage only ever made No4's as did all other North American builders of Lee Enfields.

Early Lee Enfields were called MLE's (Magazine Lee Enfield) and LEC's (Lee Enfield Carbine) then came the SHTLE or SMLE (Short Lee Enfield or Short Magazine Lee Enfield). There was once a No1 MkIV which was renamed the No4. The missing No3 was the P14 and No2's were 22lr conversion training rifles. Somewhere along the line thje nomenclature changed and the number names came in so the MLE's and SMLE's became Rifle Number 1's.

Thought that might be of some interest to some.

gwpercle
09-26-2013, 01:34 PM
Another thing to remember is the 303's were given rather generous chambers, to work with dirty ammo , mud, to function during war time conditions etc....the round is rimmed , so replacing the the bolt head will not affect the generous chamber dimension's they usually have. Save you brass and neck size to prolong case life.