PDA

View Full Version : Remington small pistol match compared to Win Small pistol primers

gamma50
09-11-2013, 10:50 AM
is there any big difference between the Win SP primer and the fed SP match primer? big diff between shotgun primers from federal, Winchester and Federal, and most sold. but are these 2 primers I'm asking about any difference in a .357 mag with 9 grs. Unique and 125 gr. JHP bullet ?

aspangler
09-11-2013, 12:05 PM
Not enough to tell unless you are using a chronograph. I use whatever is available when I can find them and have had no trouble with switching primer brands in my 38 or 357 loads.

gamma50
09-11-2013, 12:22 PM
sorry about the first post!!! I waited for Winchester small primers a few months ago, when I saw these Federal small pistol primers I bought 5k. I thought I'd never see any more if I kept waiting for Winchesters. and of course AFTER I buy these Federal Winchester come up for sale! so now I just hoard everything like its GOLD. can't eat gold in the long run but a primer and powder might get you some meat for the table.
also I notice on these feds that there is some kind of sealer over the anvil area pf primer, Winchesters don't have. wonder what that's for?

detox
09-12-2013, 04:43 PM
Federal Small Pistol primers are most popular with competitive shooters using revolvers. The cups are softer/thinner and easier to ignite when using lighter hammer springs.

gamma50
09-12-2013, 05:27 PM
thanks, I guess the difference between small pistol primers are not a great deal. unlike shotgun primers which have exaggerated pressures when switched from win 209 to cci 209m to fed 209as. so my question is moot. sorry.

garym1a2
09-13-2013, 12:27 PM
i don't like federal spp since one went off on me when loading.