PDA

View Full Version : A bad day today on my move

johnho
10-24-2007, 07:25 PM
I knew things were going too well. Closed on a new house yesterday and all went well. Movers showed up this morning on time. took about 3 hours to load up truck INCLUDING about 1400 pounds of lead in small ingots, on the ground, etc. Since I thought it was going to be too much lead for them I also checked the load limits on my Trailblazer. Said if I had the weight distriubed for a trailer hitch I could have a tongue weight of up to 900 pounds. Hmmmm- I guess that means if i put about 700 pounds in the back and a few "small" boxes of Linotype and another 200 pounds give or take on the floor of the back, seat should be no problem.

Ok, tires looked a little flat so put more air in them. Start off for 4 hour drive. Get within one hour of my first stop at airport to pick up wifes car (that's another story) and car doesn't want to accelerate anymore. Hmmmm, now not running good at all. Going slower. All cars and trucks passing me in I95-not a good sign. Getting worse. Wife yells at me to get off at next exit. Like a good husband I obey. Pull into first motel. Get out and smell transmission fluid. Uh oh. Not that nice sweet smell. Kinda sour smelliing. Smelled that before so knew we were not doing good.

Anyway, got car to Chevy dealer. Got rental car.

I just didn't think I was overloading that thing based on what I read but it looks not too good for the ole tranny. Trip will continue tomorrow in rental car and wait for movers to deliver rest of stuff. things were just going too good.

John :(

35remington
10-24-2007, 07:38 PM
If it's the Trailblazer that has the fried tranny 900 lbs of lead in the back won't do it.

They can haul more than that. Coincidence and bad timing, is all I'd say.

dubber123
10-24-2007, 08:08 PM
One of my favorite sayings: " If all seems to be going well, you've obviously overlooked something." I doubt 900 lbs would fry the tranny in a Yugo, much less a Trailblazer. It probably was on it's way out anyways. I hope the rest of the move is smooth sailing for you.

ssn vet
10-24-2007, 09:43 PM
was the vehicle riding low in the back.....

extreme angle might contribute....

that's really not that much weight though

Newtire
10-24-2007, 11:44 PM
Hey Johnho,
Your Trailblazer may just have gone into "limp-home" mode. It is hard to tell without looking at it what is actually wrong but if you were to put a scan-tool on it, a Snap-On or the Dealer Tech2, you may find a stored tranny code. The characteristics are, a second gear takeoff with no upshift or downshift in the OD range-you will have a lack of power and may explain why you could only go the slow speed you were going. If Trans Computer is in limp in, it will not affect reverse feel although the pressure will be high so may (or may not) exhibit a harsh engagement from a stop. Fluid stinks these days just being normal when it heats up so the fluid smell isn't a thing to go by unless it is black or brown. Driving it an extended length of time would have heated up the fluid as the pressure is pretty high when the lim home activates. If in doubt, wipe the stick on a white sheet of paper and if it shows pink stain, you are probably good.

Just a bit of advice from a transmission guy.
Hope you get your trans back in one piece.

Lloyd Smale
10-25-2007, 06:02 AM
like newtire said the new gm trucks have abuse mode. If you get to carried away abusing the trasn they go into a mode that backs off timing and throttle blade opening and it will feel jus like your experinecing. the vehicle will have no power and shifting will feel like the trans has gone to heaven. Its actually there because its cheaper for gm to do that then to put a transmition in them thats tough enough to take abuse. Saves them on warantee work. If they did claim to rebuild your trans id ask them for the old parts.

johnho
10-26-2007, 07:17 PM
Well, found out today tranny is ok. It's the catalytic converter and there are none available. On backorder and don't know when they will be in.

Thanks to each of you for your comments. I learned a lot about that Chevy that I didn't know.

John

dubber123
10-26-2007, 07:22 PM
In the good ole (bad ole?) days, you could just smash the guts out of the cat, and re-install it. It usually gave you a few more H.P. too. If your state requires a smog check at inspection time, it's probably not a good idea, though.

Newtire
10-26-2007, 09:01 PM
Just goes to show how futile "over-the-phone" (or in this case over the internet) diagnosis can be. Sounds like these guys know what they are doing.

mag_01
10-26-2007, 09:32 PM
TO THOSE WHO WILL LISTEN ----- Had a pickup truck that was giving me problems asked a few dealer mechs. to work on it in there spare time at there home --- Paid them with bad results --- Went to a scrap yard and purchased a distributor (old point type) and installed it in the block --- disconnected the computer and cut all wiring that fed computer information --- Re-timed the truck and set it up took off catalytic converter and bypassed it ---- Wow truck had power ran very well and then dreaded emissions --- well It passed with very low emissions -- What dose that say about computer and catalytic converters --- The truck was cleaner burning and ran like one happy machine.

This is a true story -------------- Mag_01

Misfire99
10-28-2007, 03:04 AM
I would use the rental to move the lead. When you give it back who would know?

You know 900 pounds is like having a couple of fat chicks in the back.

MT Gianni
10-28-2007, 08:54 PM
TO THOSE WHO WILL LISTEN ----- Had a pickup truck that was giving me problems asked a few dealer mechs. to work on it in there spare time at there home --- Paid them with bad results --- Went to a scrap yard and purchased a distributor (old point type) and installed it in the block --- disconnected the computer and cut all wiring that fed computer information --- Re-timed the truck and set it up took off catalytic converter and bypassed it ---- Wow truck had power ran very well and then dreaded emissions --- well It passed with very low emissions -- What dose that say about computer and catalytic converters --- The truck was cleaner burning and ran like one happy machine.

This is a true story -------------- Mag_01

Carburated not fuel injection I presume. Gianni

Newtire
10-29-2007, 09:10 AM
Yeah Mag_01, now adays if there is no proper ignition signal to the computer, the trans won't shift, engine won't start, there is a new system called CAN where the car's computers are linked together & talk to each other so things that had nothing to do with each other now are dependent on all these other systems to work. In fact, if youhave a problem with the new 6-speed trans in your beloved Chevy Pickup (or Ford for that matter) and you need to get a $75 solenoid replaced, you will find that they are no longer available separately. The solenoid is a part of the computer & transmission valve body package. I'm guessing around $2000+ to replace that. There is a bill getting together called "right to repair". Unless we do something about it, people won't be able to get their cars repaired economically anymore. Trust me on this one-car owners of America are going to be in for a rude awakening! This not only affects Mechanics-consumers unite.
http://www.righttorepair.org/