PDA

View Full Version : Current Information Regarding DD-214's

Bad Water Bill
09-11-2013, 02:18 AM
I posted this a few years ago. Since then ?0,000 have joined our family.

Current Information Regarding DD-214's

Please pass on to other vets. It's official: DD-214 discharge papers are

NOW ONLINE. The National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) has
provided the following website for veterans to gain access to
their DD-214s online:

http://www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records/

This may be particularly helpful when a veteran needs a copy
of his/her DD-214 for employment purposes. NPRC is working
to make it easier for veterans with computers and Internet
access to obtain copies of documents from their military files.

Military veterans and the next of kin of deceased former military
members may now use a new online military personnel records
system to request documents.

Other individuals with a need for documents must still complete
the Standard Form 180, which can be downloaded from the
online web site. Because the requester will be asked to supply
all information essential for NPRC to process the request,
delays that normally occur when NPRC has to ask veterans
for additional information will be minimized. The new web-based
application was designed to provide better service on these
requests by eliminating the records centers mailroom and
processing time.

Please pass this information on to former military personnel you
may know and their dependents.

Perhaps someone can STICKY this somewhere

gbrown
09-11-2013, 08:57 AM
Thanks for sharing this, it will be useful for many people. I used this type of information a few years ago to retrieve my FIL's DD214 at the time of his death. I'm sure this is an updated version of what we did, can't remember. Many will find this useful for family and friends.

runfiverun
09-11-2013, 12:03 PM
putting it in for consideration.
we'll try to find somewhere it can be seen.
I linked it to my something that may help sticky for now.

km101
09-11-2013, 03:28 PM
Thanks Bill!! Your thread showed up 2 days after I needed a copy of my DD-214. I can not find my copy and I don't remember if I filed it with the county clerk or not. So this is a big help.

Please continue to post this from time to time. I remember seeing it before, but did not need a copy right then, and thought nothing of it. But now I do, and it's a lifesaver.

NWFLYJ
09-11-2013, 03:52 PM
Thanks!

WilliamDahl
09-11-2013, 03:56 PM
Slowly but surely, the government moves into the *20th* century.

I've worked on various projects for the government and defense contractors over the years, but I have never had one ask to see my DD-214.

Bad Water Bill
09-11-2013, 04:07 PM
That is the very reason I asked to have it made a sticky somewhere.

At my age I do not have a written guarantee that I can keep providing it next week let alone next year.

My puter could crash etc and all would be lost also and I do not the responsibility of being "THE ONLY ONE" capable of helping folks out.

Here in Illinois we will need 16 hours of training in firearms handling in order to get a CCW permit. A copy of your DD-214 will be proof of about 4 hours of training.

I am not the only vet that was discharged OVER HALF A CENTURY AGO.

How many have saved that tissue paper thin copy handy all of these years?

WilliamDahl
09-11-2013, 04:15 PM

At my age I do not have a written guarantee that I can keep providing it next week let alone next year.

My puter could crash etc and all would be lost also and I do not the responsibility of being "THE ONLY ONE" capable of helping folks out.

Here in Illinois we will need 16 hours of training in firearms handling in order to get a CCW permit. A copy of your DD-214 will be proof of about 4 hours of training.

To compound your problem, your records might have been in that group that was destroyed in the fire that they had in 1973.

As flimsy as the original copy might have been, I believe that I lost mine well before it had a chance to self-destruct. Too much moving around after I got out and it probably disappeared within the first 5 years or so. It just didn't seem all that important to me back then and considering the fact that I've not needed it since then, I guess it really wasn't all that important with respect to my future jobs.

If they had been meant to have been kept, surely they would have printed them on a more robust paper, right?

I just wish that the IRS would accept email communications.

GREENCOUNTYPETE
09-11-2013, 04:36 PM
also , your DD-214 counts as your proof of training for a Wisconsin concealed carry license , and for purchasing rifles from the CMP

missionary5155
09-11-2013, 07:19 PM
Greetings and thanks Bill !
Happily when I ETS'd at Ft Dix the E-6 told us to get 20 copies made ASAP of our DD-214 so we would always have one handy... I followed his instructions.
I have more than one down here in Peru with me as occassionaly there is a need to send one off somewhere.
Mike in Peru

mikeym1a
09-12-2013, 01:42 AM

I was released from active duty in 1972, and recently found ALL my old forms. Mouse and bug chewed. All transfers, promotions, citations, etc. It was only through luck that I found them, and right now I couldn't lay hands on them if my life depended on it. BUT I have them! somewhere..................:D

Bad Water Bill
09-12-2013, 02:31 AM
When my time drew near I was on the USS Independence in Gitmo bay.

I had to inform the yeoman that I only had 7 days left in the Navy.

Orders were cut IMMEDIATELY to nearest port of discharge, which ended up at N A S Sanford. That flight is another grey hair story.

For 6 days I was assigned to walk my post "in a military manner" till they discovered I had been promoted to E5. On the last day they rushed me thru everything and handed me my discharge papers and orders to report to N A S Glenview Il for reserve duty.

Now walking back to the barracks to retrieve my sea bag a NEW O1 stopped me for wearing a baseball cap instead of a proper DIXIE CUP.

Only took about 2 minutes to straighten that "BOOT Ensign" out and I was on my way home.

After serving as flight crew over the next 2 years at Glenview they realized tomorrow was my last day in the reserves.

Well you can use your own brains to imagine what a C ---- my discharge was. Yes IF I wanted to apply for the 20% loss of hearing I had suffered I would have to re enlist or forget it.

WHAT SAY :bigsmyl2:

Some where in the BIG envelope was my DD-214.

I am sure other vets can share the same stories.

When a friend provided me with that site I posted it and I am hoping that others will keep that site available for MANY years to come.

popper
09-13-2013, 02:59 PM
I saw my original a few years ago, have no idea where it is now. I did the county reg. thing way back and now I find they don't keep the records! I applied on-line and got the copy ~ 1 mo later. I had to show the original for GI Bill, security clearance and VA loan, long ago. Now it's to get vet status on D.L., a plot for me in Grand Prairie. Dog tag has been enough proof for retail discounts. Good sticky.

merlin101
09-13-2013, 03:18 PM
I still have my copy and even all my med records stashed away in a safe in the attic. I put them there almost 30yrs ago and they haven't moved, some day I need to find the combnation so I can open it!:oops:

stepmac
10-14-2013, 12:39 AM
From experience. Don't lose you DD214.

DRNurse1
10-15-2013, 01:35 PM
Thanks, BWB, I have my DD214 but wanted to check this out. Guess what. National Archives site close during the Government shut down. Shoot, Veterans wouldn't need this information for work, or retirement, or anything important, right?

gbrown
10-24-2013, 09:26 AM
When I ETS'd in 1972, I filed mine with the County Clerk. Came in handy a couple of times. Went back in TXARNG for 21 years, went from NCO to WO, mobilized twice and retired. I have a few DD214s. Most important one at this time is the final one. It's good to take them to some "Office" place and have them digitalized. Save on computer, flash drives, or memory cards. What is amusing to me is I have my original DA 201 file, complete, originally initiated at reception center, Ft Polk, La, Jan 1970.

EdZ KG6UTS
01-28-2014, 02:23 PM
I kept my DD214 but never really looked at it. When I was joining the VFW I got a letter saying I was not qualified. The block for awards said 'none' and there was no mention of time in Vietnam. I had to use the dates on the 214, unit history, etc to get credit for time spent, a reissued DD214, and eventually Life VFW. It all stemmed from the hurry Navy personnel clerks were in when I came back to CONUS for discharge.

EdZ KG6UTS

Bad Water Bill
01-28-2014, 03:31 PM
The V F W & Legion want nothing to do with me.

Between 06 1955 and the start of Viet Nam was PEACE TIME so we are not eligible.

Nor did they give out any medals. Not even good conduct.

Then there was the fire in St Louis records so if you do not have something in your hand it is hard to prove you ever served.

That was the reason I posted this info.

Hope it helps us old folks.

sparky45
01-29-2014, 03:44 PM
And therein lies the problem(s) organizations such as VFW and American Legion run into in "recruitment" of new members. I was denied VFW membership because I wasn't in a direct combat area (I served in a direct support area). Then when the local chapter saw the handwriting on the wall, so to speak, concerning dwindling membership, they sought out persons such as myself to join. I told them to go pound sand. BTW, my records never made it to St. Louis, I have the originals right at home. DD214 was used last Sept. to purchase a Vets License Plate from the DMV.

WilliamDahl
01-30-2014, 02:07 AM
From experience. Don't lose you DD214.

What was your experience? I probably had mine for the first few years after I got out, but they got lost in one move or another over the years. I've never had to produce a DD214 since then even though I've worked on projects that required a security clearance.

Littleton Shot Maker
02-03-2014, 04:47 PM
My next door neighbor lost his record during the fires of 91 in LA.??
He said he got them back (originals) with burn marks on them??
Mine was lost to the garage monster a long time ago. Or was that the rats and mice??

Junior1942
02-04-2014, 08:15 PM
Mine is in a cabinet in the kitchen. I have a bank safety deposit box for which I pay about $50 a year, so the question is: Why tha hell isn't in it!? It will be before this week is over!

WilliamDahl
02-04-2014, 08:20 PM
Mine is in a cabinet in the kitchen. I have a bank safety deposit box for which I pay about $50 a year, so the question is: Why tha hell isn't in it!? It will be before this week is over!

Because as a lot of people learned, having things in bank safety deposit boxes is not necessarily all that safe during flooding as occurred during TS Allison and Hurricane Katrina?

But a better question might be whether you have ever actually needed to produce them. I never have and I've had a few government contracts over the years that required security clearances even.

jcwit
02-09-2014, 09:57 AM
I have the one they gave me in 1973 somewhere. I also have it registered at our local court house. The one at the court house is the one I know where its at.

popper
02-10-2014, 11:23 AM
Don't count on the county to have your 214 on file. I reg. mine in mid 60's, no record found at the county - they probably don't keep it. I never needed it for clearances, but I did fill out the 5 page forms. They already have the service record.
I was originally a 'nam era vet' but later they changed the designation to 'in-country/combat only', to save money in bennies. I always get VFW/AL applications and toss them. Don't drink much and don't have a hall nearby, but I have nothing against them, they are on my charity list along with the USO.

Chapo
03-04-2014, 01:33 AM
Good info all. I am about to be medically retired in a few months, so this info is rather helpful!!

MUSTANG
03-08-2014, 08:54 PM
I have a few DD-214's from my enlisted days (each time I re-enlisted, got a new one). The only time I ever had to produce one was when I wanted to use my GI Benefits for education; benefit difference between Vietnam Era, and post Vietnam era benefits was the question. Also, I had dallied with a State Veterans benefit loan for a Texas Farm Loan, and would have had to produce a DD-214, but I reconsidered the farm so did not have to produce one.

Gar
03-16-2014, 06:09 PM
Just as a reminder, your next of kin will also need access to your DD214 if your final wishes are to have military honors at your funeral. Make sure they know were a copy of it is kept.

CastingFool
03-16-2014, 08:22 PM
That's a good site to know about. I do have my original DD214, and I also have a retired military ID card, plus my 20 yr letter.

Bad Water Bill
03-16-2014, 08:40 PM
Sitting here tonight thinking about how things have changed over the many years I think most of us should get another "OFFICIAL"copy and give the new copy to a friend or neighbor just in case.

There are quite a few of us now living by ourselves and if something happened who else knows where that danged DD214 is so they could at least get you buried with full honors.

Brother Bob
03-22-2014, 08:21 PM
Show a copy of your DD214 at Lowes or Home Depot and get 10% off your purchase......at least they do in Oklahoma.

stu206
04-23-2014, 02:49 PM
As a Viet Nam Era Vet, 7/64 till 7/68 in Uncle Sams Nursery, yes I still have my DD 214 and Discharge Papers etc. Did apply to VFW but not on DD 214 form, but alas the rules change about in country time to support time, but still not on 214.
Have applied to the black hole for the awards, but nothing yet, applied to VA for service connection but denied it all. Even tho in Hospital while in service, you healthy now so you not service connected on anything.
Now retired and enjoying life and shooting cast lead and round balls.

Bad Water Bill
04-23-2014, 02:58 PM
Another member here spent a year in Bathesda hospital for injuries suffered while on board ship.

A whole 10% disability.

I am sure there are many more members here that can tell more stories of how well the VA takes care of the military vets.

Shame on them.

stu206
04-24-2014, 03:22 AM
Another member here spent a year in Bathesda hospital for injuries suffered while on board ship.

A whole 10% disability.

I am sure there are many more members here that can tell more stories of how well the VA takes care of the military vets.

Shame on them.

I feel for you on a year in Hospital, I spent 100 days in Bremerton Naval Hospital with Infectious and Viral Hep, came out of Hospital and was discharged five months later with no rating or anything. Just have a nice life and too bad you can't donate blood or organs cause of the Hep but no disability rated for that....!

dennis k
05-22-2014, 10:33 AM
Bad Water Bill, this might help you. A few hours after getting off a troop ship in NY in 1962 I was a civilian. During the discharge physical the audio tech mentioned that I had a hearing loss. I was so happy to get out that I didn't care at the time. Some 50 or so years later my family is pestering me to get hearing aids. After testing I found out aids were $8,000. That was way to many guns so I nixed that idea. I discussed this history with some winter Texan friends who told me to contact the VA and get my records. After a few moths of waiting my records arrived and sure enough my physical showed a hearing loss. I applied for medical care here in MN and was given and exam. Sure enough the graph of my test was the same shape as the one on my separation physical. The MD announced that I was eligible for aids (state of the art) and I would be getting $200+ dollars per month for a 20% hearing loss. I hope this info helps. I never would have tried if it hadn't been for old vet friends.

Bad Water Bill
05-22-2014, 10:55 AM
Looking back at post 31 reminded me of a friend that had 0 relatives and had a fatal heart attack on the street in Chiraq.

Since I was the only one on his cell the Chiraq police contacted me.

I told them his ball cap has his military # and 101st Airbourn + his DD214 is in his wallet.

90 days later Larry was still laying in the morgue.

I contacted a vet police officer and 2 days later Larry was buried with full honors.

Yes there are plenty of great cops out there.

Now off to see about my own hearing.

To bad they can not make payment retroactive to the time the military first showed me of the loss.[smilie=b:

Yes a 51 year total sure would help but anything is better than nothing.

Keep posting your results vets

scarry scarney
05-26-2014, 11:18 PM
One thing about the online dd214 thing. I did the request, and they only sent me the first page. A few of us have a two page DD-214, and the system is not set up to handle "unique" DD-214's.

ChaplainJohn
05-29-2014, 03:20 PM

A whole 10% disability.

Shame on them.

BWB, I sure can... I'd have been dead 15 years ago if not for VA. They found the severe blockage in an artery and provided bypass surgery that I NEVER could have paid for. VA has been very good to me!

Owen49
07-26-2014, 07:46 AM
I recorded my DD214 at the county courthouse when I came home. I can get as many free certified copies of it as I want anytime they're open. Every time I move, I take a certified copy & have it recorded in my new county of residence so I've got certified copies in 3 different states now & can get them anytime. Thus far, no county recorder has lost my DD214.

AK4570
04-05-2015, 01:45 PM
Good info.. Need to get mine and my Bride's recorded ASAP... Thanks!

John

RetMSgt
06-23-2015, 10:40 AM
I retired from the Air Force last year. During one of our separation briefs, they made us create a account here:
https://www.ebenefits.va.gov/ebenefits/homepage

There is a lot of resources on this website, including military medical records, x-rays, create a VA claim or get your DD-Form 214...etc. Just wanted to throw it out there as an added resource.

Bad Water Bill
06-24-2015, 06:34 AM
I retired from the Air Force last year. During one of our separation briefs, they made us create a account here:
https://www.ebenefits.va.gov/ebenefits/homepage

There is a lot of resources on this website, including military medical records, x-rays, create a VA claim or get your DD-Form 214...etc. Just wanted to throw it out there as an added resource.

Thank you sir for your service and information.

Perhaps a MOD can make your link into a great permanent STICKY link for all of us OLD reprobates.

Bad Water Bill
10-15-2015, 05:56 PM
Time for another kick and info for Illinois vets.

You can contact the DNR in Sppringfield,email them a copy of your DD214 & DL to receive a substantial discount on licenses.

If you have any overseas or sea service time on your DD214, the licenses are 1/2 price FOREVER.

aap2
10-24-2015, 08:59 AM
I have been surprised at how many benefits/discounts (here in PA at least) are available to veterans; I used to carry a copy of my DD214 to obtain generous discounts at the local Home Depot (hey, 10% off of a lawn mower or water heater that is already on sale is a good deal)..A clerk told me to take my DD214 with me when I renew my driver's license and they will add veteran's code to the new license which is proof of vet status without carrying a copy of the DD214 around. Lots of places offer a significant discount to veterans......getting a copy of your DD214 is worth the trouble...IMHO

Hick
12-05-2015, 01:34 AM
Good stories about DD-214. When I went looking for mine all I got back was a DD-214 for 6 months enlisted in the Navy without pay. I went back and said "look again, please-- that 6 months was while i was waiting for and OCS berth." They finally found the real one (Vietnam era). Funny story: I have a hearing loss in one ear frm my youth. The Navy needed engineers badly, and took me as an engineer. But-- when I took my physical I passed the hearing test to be a private with a rifle, but failed the OCS hearing test. This young Navy medical corpsman said "It says here you are an engineer-- I'll bet you can figure out how my hearing test works. Want to try again?" I did, and I "passed"

shdwlkr
01-28-2017, 07:55 PM
I have no real idea where my DD214 is but if push comes to shove I might be able to find a copy.
Nothing much on it says I was a reservist, my ets date which is wrong and nothing much more
I was in from 69-77 and left as an SFC which is to say I must have done something my country liked, Do the math I have been out for 39 years and DOD still tracks where I am in the country go figure

hardware
01-29-2017, 02:33 PM
Just another suggestion on your military records.

Take ALL of them to your nearest "HOME DEPOT" and have them scanned and copied for a nominal fee.

They did that for me + sent a copy to my son.s puter and handed me a chip with all of my records on it.

I NEVER knew I was eligible for any benefits at all when I was discharged almost 60 years ago.

Sure could have made a big difference in my life if I could have known that back then.

Hoping many here will pass all of this info on to the young vets

2HighSpeed
02-01-2017, 01:55 AM
Old thread, I know. But you can also access your DD-214 by HTTPS://HRC.army.mil

Bad Water Bill
02-01-2017, 08:15 AM
Thanks for the update.

Now to correct Hardwares post.

It should read "OFFICE DEPOT" NOT HOME DEPOT.

fastdadio
02-04-2017, 09:11 PM
Old thread, I know. But you can also access your DD-214 by HTTPS://HRC.army.mil

My Firefox firewall security just posted a security warning that says this site is not secure. Mebee it's the russians again.....

jsizemore
02-06-2017, 09:39 PM
I went to the county Sherriff's office to get some pistol purchase permits. I filled out the form on the computer provided in the lobby. Went into the clerk of the magistrates office to sign my application and pay my fee for 7 permits. When I finished, the secretary said I'd have to bring my DD-214 to prove I'd gotten an honorable discharge. When I got home, I couldn't find ANY of my significant papers. I used the link provided by Bad Water Bill. I received conformation of my request for copies of my DD-214 and an estimate of 3 weeks delivery. The secretary at the Magistrate's said I had 2 weeks after notification to pick up my permits or forfeit my fees. Of course I got approved the next day. 9 days later my DD-214's show up in the mailbox with a big thank you letter for using the service and my service to our country. They didn't ask for a dime. WOW! Not your usual government agency.

Newtire
04-19-2017, 06:38 PM
Tried to use this site and got nowhere! Answered first three questions and then nothing happens???Are you the vet? 2 more and it does nothing. What am I doing Wrong? Looking for my DD-214.

mwhite49
07-24-2017, 01:05 AM
Do yourselves a big favour and if you are still on active duty check your personnel record for accuray. I retired from the Navy Seabees in 1992. Back then we double checked all entrees into our records and still wuold find errors and omissions where some clerk forgot that one important thing. Medical records the same , double check..

drizler
12-29-2018, 05:56 PM
That Lowes mylowes card discount is nice. One word of caution about applying on line though. If you have 2 discharges it won’t take it online . I was both in the army then national guard so it got rejected with no real explanation. If they don’t take it just head to Lowe’s with your 214. They will do it for you. Something about the second discharge confuses things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dieselhorses
12-29-2018, 06:16 PM
Be aware that some vendors, local authorities and potential employers look beyond the type of discharge. There is also a “separation code” on a DD214. http://www.utvet.com/SPNnumeric2012.html

samari46
05-02-2019, 11:09 PM
Got discharged in '67 from the navy and spent the balance on inactive reserve. Gave my wife copies of my DD214,honorable discharge and birth certificate. Have numerous copies of all of the above. Going to give copies to my daughters as when the time comes dollars to donuts the wife won't be able to find them. And my original DD214 is mimeographed!!. Frank

nhdon
05-07-2019, 05:36 PM
Maybe I better check as I never got a DD214 for the last hitch ending in 1966 with all the screw ups perhaps there is a big pile of money waiting or more likely a who the h--- are you? Have a nice day Don K

Finster101
05-07-2019, 07:59 PM
Does anyone know how I could get an Honorable Discharge certificate ? I have my DD-214 with no problems but never actually received the certificate that I could hang on the wall.

drizler
05-09-2019, 02:02 PM
Does anyone know how I could get an Honorable Discharge certificate ? I have my DD-214 with no problems but never actually received the certificate that I could hang on the wall.

I’d just wander into the nearest VA office and see them. Of all the gov agencies I dealt with in 32 years with the gov they are the ONLY ones not full of [emoji90]. take good ID. You might be able to call but with privacy considerations just go yourself.