PDA

View Full Version : homemade shoot n c?

dilly
09-11-2013, 01:02 AM
I got a few of those high visibility targets once and I really enjoyed them. I mean the kind that have some fine black coating that flakes off to display a brighter under coat to show your hits better. However, they are kind of expensive and I got to wondering what it would take to do it at home. Anybody have any experience, thoughts or ideas?

I specifically wonder what that black coating that kind of flakes off is.

BK7saum
09-11-2013, 01:14 AM
I saw somewhere that someone made some larger ones for long range shooting. Iirc they used a white trash bag over a board or cardboard and spray painted black over it. The spray paint didn't bond to the bag and flaked off around the bullet hole.

Never tried it myself.

I'm sure you probably have a trash bag and some spray paint.

dothedrew57
09-11-2013, 05:28 AM
I had pretty good success with a reusable one I rigged up once. Get some self sealing pipe insulation and flatten it out best you can and staple /glue it to a cardboard backer. Then staple your white target over it.

When you shoot it the insulation fills back in behind the hole. Worked really well for rim fire and pistol out to about 50yds. Ymmv

cpileri
09-11-2013, 06:36 AM
I went to hobby lobby and bought a poster board in bright neon yellow, covered it first w clear acrylic spray, let that dry, then w black tempera paint which flakes off easily. not quite as good as a commercial shoot'n'c, but pretty good, much bigger, and way cheaper.
C-

MtGun44
09-11-2013, 02:00 PM
Respray with black paint and they work the same.

Bill