PDA

View Full Version : Weird 38Spcl case - Primer

archmaker
09-11-2013, 12:02 AM
Ok, I have looked long and hard at this with a magnifying glass.

I have a Winchester 38spcl case that still has the primer in it, but ONLY the sides.

Went to seat a primer and couldn't and realized that the primer is still in there, but it looks just like a bushing was put in there (best way I know to describe it).

Any idea on how you could blow the whole backside off a primer?

The case looks normal, and just ran a paper clip on the inside and nothing unusaul there.

Alvarez Kelly
09-11-2013, 12:17 AM
Sometimes the decap pin rips the primer apart. I usually just toss the case into the scrap bin.

rodok
09-11-2013, 06:24 AM
I got some brass from a person that had been done with some kind of wet cleaning, and I had several of the primers break in the same fashion.

Shepherd2
09-11-2013, 06:50 AM
I've had that happen with several 9mm cases. The decapping pin pushes the bottom of the primer out and the sides stay in the pocket.

MtGun44
09-11-2013, 01:53 PM
One of the potential problems with wet cleaning, corrosion can stick the primer.

Bill

km101
09-11-2013, 03:24 PM
I have had this happen a few times. Usually the result of a soft primer that is corroded in place. The decap pin pushes the anvil and the top of the primer out and leaves the ring that you see.

I can usually remove the ring with a dental pick, or a scratch awl and pry it out. Or you can take an awl with a really fine point and drive it down between the side of the primer pocket and the remains of the primer. If it is really tight or corroded in place it may not be worth the effort.

archmaker
09-11-2013, 04:03 PM
I only asked because I have reloaded a LOT of rounds in my 30 years, and have never seen this.

Things change and I appreciate the insight.

rondog
09-11-2013, 04:20 PM
Yeah, actually pretty common. I have a lot of cases in my scrap bucket with that problem. Not worth struggling over, IMO, but I still crush them with pliers to remove the temptation to "save another one".

TheDoctor
09-11-2013, 04:59 PM
That's why I wet clean AFTER I decap. That, and it makes my solution last longer.

Lance Boyle
09-11-2013, 05:05 PM
That's why I wet clean AFTER I decap. That, and it makes my solution last longer.

Yep, I learned this before ever even getting a wet tumbler. My buddy bought a bunch of .30 carbine to split and the seller had cleaned it wet with the primers in. What a pain in the buttocks. Greenest primer pockets I ever saw.

GRUMPA
09-11-2013, 05:42 PM
I have done so many and I rarely get what I call "ringers" and I wet clean the brass first. The only ones I have ever had a major issue with was the WCC with the dates of 11 thru 12 and don't like it. All of the above mentioned are 5.56 and like I said I do a fair amount a month of these.

300winmag
09-11-2013, 06:24 PM
I have seen this with the 1x fired fed 9mm brass the newer stuff, never had a liquid bath of any kind or tumbled, universal decapping die.

JakeBlanton
09-11-2013, 06:30 PM
I've seen this with military crimped primers a few times.

williamwaco
09-11-2013, 07:20 PM
It does happen.

I have seen it about a dozen times

Mostly it happens when you are decapping but I have seen it happen upon firing.