PDA

View Full Version : Help with M1 carbine paratrooper model

Hal A Looyah
09-10-2013, 08:44 PM
I'm trying to help an older fella figure out what his M1 carbine paratrooper is worth. I have a couple pictures. The wood is in good shape, but the sights have been replaced with Williams sights. What details should I look for to determine its value. I read that most current paratroopers were arsenal converted at a later time, and weren't manufactured as paratroopers.

Inland Div
S/N 4924xxx

Also I need some guidance on original sights.

Thanks for any help.

captain-03
09-10-2013, 11:19 PM
Any pictures; especially some close-up of the stock ... rivits, leather, and markings on the metal stock plate (rear) ...

rondog
09-11-2013, 12:15 AM
All I know is that the genuine M1A1 paratrooper carbines used during the war were supposedly all Inlands. And the genuine rifles are worth a LOT of dough! I'd suggest taking your question to the CMP Forums, there's collectors there who could help you a lot. And get some GOOD photos of it, lots of them, and use a camera, not a cellphone. They'll want to see lots of certain markings and details.

jimb16
09-11-2013, 07:36 PM
Your serial number is too late for a first run M1A1 and just a bit too early for a second run. You don't supply any details about the carbine like high wood or low or type of barrel band. Also need info on stock markings. I suspect it is a post WWII rebuild.

rondog
09-11-2013, 07:52 PM
Your serial number is too late for a first run M1A1 and just a bit too early for a second run. You don't supply any details about the carbine like high wood or low or type of barrel band. Also need info on stock markings. I suspect it is a post WWII rebuild.

Ah, Mr. Carbine is here! Hi Jim!

jimb16
09-12-2013, 09:36 PM
Say Hey! Rondog

Hal A Looyah
09-12-2013, 10:43 PM

I don't know what "high or low wood" means. I don't know one barrel band from another. Perhaps I could email you some pics.

jimb16
09-13-2013, 03:36 PM
On low wood, the arm of the slide is completely visible. On highwood, the arm is half hidden behind a thin wood strip. Barrel bands are, type 1 very narrow with a screw holding the sling loop in place; type 2 about 1 inch wide with no bayonet lug; type 3 1 inch wide with a bayonet lug attached. Also what markings are on the pistol grip and what is their location? Look VERY carefully. Some may be almost invisible on the bottom of the pistol grip. Others could be on the right left or front. The stock itself may have markings on the rear or left side and on the inside. Plus almost every part of a GI carbine except the springs and screws are usually marked. Listing the part and markings will tell us a lot too.

Hal A Looyah
09-22-2013, 10:49 PM
Ok. Have it in my hands now.

Low wood
Type 1 band
"P" on the belly of the pistol grip
7/4 on rivits on leather cheek rest
Can't discern multi digit # on inside of cast buttplate
Williams rear sight is obviously not original
Front sight is skeletonized, on a barrel band with set screw

That's all that I can find. Any help?