PDA

View Full Version : How do you tune a flintlock?

Texantothecore
09-10-2013, 06:26 PM
I would like to know how you tune a rocklock.

varsity07840
09-10-2013, 06:31 PM
Send it to Brad at Cabin Creek muzzleloaders. www.cabincreek.net

GARD72977
09-10-2013, 07:05 PM
Im guessing you want to do it yourself. I have wondered the same thing. Im sure someone will chime in with advice. Not sure If I would do it but I would like to know how.

Texantothecore
09-10-2013, 08:10 PM
Im guessing you want to do it yourself. I have Johnwondered the same thing. Im sure someone will chime in with advice. Not sure If I would do it but I would like to know how.

That's the idea, to do it myself and learn how these guns work at a really basic level.

fouronesix
09-10-2013, 08:45 PM
It's an art- achieved only with luck on a first try or by some work and a lot of experience. There are a few on here who have done a lot of FL tuning. I've watched and listened to one very experienced FL shooter who has his own secrets. I've tuned a few of my own FL guns. I've read most there is on the subject. My conclusion is- it's an art mastered only through lots of experience, punctuated by some trial and error. But I absolutely do know one of the first steps- shot to shot consistency with lots of spark straight down into the pan. :)

pietro
09-10-2013, 08:49 PM

Please read "Tuning a Flintlock for Success" here: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?3941-Tuning-a-flintlock-for-success

waksupi
09-10-2013, 10:57 PM
It is all the relationship between sear, tumbler, and trigger. It is something much easier learned by watching it done a few times, then buggering parts. First thing to remember, if you own a Dremel tool, throw it as far away as possible.
I did go through some of it on boerranchjoe's thread on shooting the trade gun.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?160666-Gots-a-question-for-you-Trade-gun-shooters

Dryball
09-11-2013, 01:04 AM
easiest way to tune a lock...buy a Jim Chambers lock and slap it on, then go shooting

Dirty30
09-11-2013, 02:40 AM
Look for videos on youtube. That said, make sure the demonstrator is a reputable builder and not some Bubba with a video camera. Hershel House did a good video on lock tuning, I seem to recall Jim Chambers doing one as well. They may or may not be on there, but it's worth a look.

KCSO
09-11-2013, 09:33 AM
Well you turn the tuning peg till each string... nah.

There have been numerous articles and I believe there is a sicky somewhere on this. You are asking a question that would require pages of text to answer. IIRR the book of buckskinning covered this pretty well in one issue. The other problem is that how and what you tune depends on the lock. A Harpers Ferry lock in positivly the worst designed lock ever made and a Nock needs only to have a flint installed.

waksupi
09-11-2013, 11:09 AM
easiest way to tune a lock...buy a Jim Chambers lock and slap it on, then go shooting

I think Jim's locks are the best on the market at the time, but I still end up putting in an hour or two fine tuning them.

square butte
09-11-2013, 12:58 PM
Plus one - on Waksupi's comments. Some seem to need a little less - or more time. But the best on the market for my money

Texantothecore
09-11-2013, 02:17 PM
Thanks. The threads are illuminating.

BruceB
09-11-2013, 03:37 PM
Apropos of nothing at all...

A few years ago, I read of an experimental high-speed photography project involving flintlock rifles.

Actual filming revealed that, in a well-tuned rifle, the ball exited the muzzle BEFORE the cock stopped moving. Now, THAT is impressive.

"Click-whoosh-bang"??? Uhhhh.. no, I don't think so...