PDA

View Full Version : question bout the Dreaded Evil Zinc Wheelweight

The Nyack Kid
08-21-2005, 04:31 PM
I got my bottom pour furnace built last night . as i was sorting wheelweights for the maiden run , i came a cross a weird wheelweight . it is small (bout .5 oz ) and it differs from normal weights in that it is riveted on to the steel clip . I havn't had the time to test and see if this is a steel or a DEZW . does sound like a zinc wheelwheight ? if anyone has found a zinc wheight would they be so kind as to post a picture to help enlighten us who dont know anybetter ?

Willbird
08-21-2005, 04:40 PM
I have found some steel ones, no zinc yet, try a magnet on it.

Bill

MTWeatherman
08-21-2005, 05:34 PM
Every riveted wheelweight I've found has been steel. I almost guarantee that's what it is. Try Willbird's advice and you'll quickly confirm if thats true.

I didn't see the steel wheelweights appear until relatively recently. I now keep a magnet on hand to check any unusual weights. I have yet to find a zinc one.

The Nyack Kid
08-21-2005, 06:08 PM
went over to the shop and stuck a magnet to it . it is a steel wheight . anyhow what does a zinc wheight look like ? this steel wheight has a paint on it that makes looks like galvanised steel .

trickyasafox
08-21-2005, 06:20 PM
is their any use for steel wheel weights? obviously not casting but im talking even general purpose?

imashooter2
08-21-2005, 06:38 PM
is their any use for steel wheel weights? obviously not casting but im talking even general purpose?

Sure... they work great for balancing tires.:D

buck1
08-21-2005, 06:52 PM

They dont let nothing slide around here! LOL!!!! ...

Its easy for me, Its lead and melts with the rest , or its trash! ...Buck

grumble
08-21-2005, 07:18 PM
Uses for a steel wheelweight, eh?

Well, let's see now. You could:
-carry it around to test magnets
-use it to replace a stolen lead wheelweight off a gov't vehicle
-put it against the compass on a cruise ship and say, "Surprise!" when you dock in Cuba instead of Italy
-With a grinder, use it to light your shop
-hammer it flat and use it as half of a fire-lapping kit
-use it as a suppository if you happen to be anemic
-frame it, and enter it in an art competition
-send it to Homeland Security and ask if it is a WMD

I'm sure there are many more uses, and this is the right group of people to ask!

Rick N Bama
08-21-2005, 08:07 PM

Someone actually uses wheelweights for balancing tires? I thought they were only for Boolits! Learn something every day around here :-P

Rick

Willbird
08-21-2005, 08:45 PM
Save a whole 5 gallon bucket of them, then put an add in the paper "free wheelweights"

just for fun :-)

Bill