PDA

View Full Version : T/C 30-30 Win.

Ben
09-10-2013, 01:54 PM
T/C Contender

I've been wanting one of these.

The one I purchased is an early model , circa 1980 according to a s/n chart that I've seen on the internet. ( s/n 165,XXX ) .

It is a T/C Contender, octagon barrel, 10" , 30-30 Win. I thought the price was reasonable on this one, so this weekend I bought one. I have so many .30 cal. molds, it will take me another 50 yrs. to test all of them in this pistol.

I found in my mold stash an IDEAL 311419 , 88 gr. gas check. If it shoots well, I'll be getting 80 bullets from a pound of alloy.

That would be some cheap shooting.

My 1st trial run loads with this bullet are as follows :

CCI 300 Large Pistol primers, bullet sized .310" dia. with an .014 " Amerimax g/c with 8.2 grs. of Alliant Unique in the 30-30 Win. case .

I've also loaded some of my 31141 HP's, 311241's, 311291's and even some 190 gr. , SAECO #301 g/c bullets. I'll have a busy afternoon soon testing all these loads in my " New Toy ."

Ben

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/haysb/008-38.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/haysb/002-69.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/haysb/003-63.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/haysb/6355817d-b06a-4a6d-b2af-7ba2aaeccc7e.jpg

nagantguy
09-10-2013, 02:07 PM
Nice toy, sounds like you picked some good candidates as far as molds and loads go. Good luck on your shooting.

Ben
09-10-2013, 02:10 PM
nagantguy

I'm out in " new territory " now......................
I guess this is what intrigues all of us.

Hamish
09-10-2013, 04:15 PM
Interested to hear about this one, have casted up a few 311316 from an old Ideal SC to do the very same thing.

John Allen
09-10-2013, 04:22 PM
I really like the early octagon barrels they just look nice with the short forearms. I have two of the octagons and am always looking for more.

Ben
09-10-2013, 05:30 PM
I might be a candidate for a couple more barrels also.

Ben

fryboy
09-10-2013, 05:47 PM
rut roh the tc bug has bitten again ....., the octagon barrel is best with the lighter projectiles and loads ( vicious with factory loads ) on a positive note dont limit yourself to 30 caliber boolits as several lite weight 32 boolits can also be utilized with great results !! i usually use around 100-120 grain plain based ones for plinking , welcome to the contender club !!

Ben
09-10-2013, 05:49 PM
Yes, I've thought about the Lee T/L 314 " pistol mold.

Anyone tried this combo in a 30/30 at " plinking ranges " ( 25 - 40 yds. ) ?

My particular pistol is tight on closing with a .311 cast bullet, but has adequate clearance with a .310 " cast bullet.

I wonder if I'd lose a lot of the micro bands going to .310 "

fryboy
09-10-2013, 05:56 PM
not personally that mold but scroll a couple threads down to the roundball in 30-30 thread

Hamish
09-10-2013, 07:57 PM
I might be a candidate for a couple more barrels also. Ben

dun-Dun-DUHNNNNN,,,,,,(que spooky music, cut frame to dimly lit basement with contender barrels covering every possible spot, gaunt angular figure gliding among them, touching them, caressing them,,,,,barely audible above a whisper,,,,"my prescious,,,,," )

John Allen
09-10-2013, 08:17 PM
I might be a candidate for a couple more barrels also.

Ben

This is how it starts. You need to immediately sell that gun or you will in no time have a half dozen barrels for it.

Ben
09-10-2013, 08:20 PM
Ummmmm, sounds like a " money pit ".

John Allen
09-10-2013, 08:23 PM
Oh it is but once you are bitten there is no cure.

fryboy
09-10-2013, 11:09 PM
every new barrel a new set of dies ..brass ... molds ....scopes .... cases ..... the list could be endless ,aye but welcome to the curse lad and allow a link or two ( edstc and mike bellm's ) the latter especially :twisted:

http://www.edstc.com/

http://www.bellmtcs.com/store/

somewhere today i saw the same boolit you posted earlier in a 30-30 case , i thought it was the roundball load thread but apparently it wasnt , it's around here someplace , my browsing history didnt help me re-find it ( darn it ) and being a voracious reader i read quite a few threads :(

357maximum
09-11-2013, 12:15 AM
I use LARGE PISTOL PRIMERS and 8.5 to 9 grains of Herco under a BRP designed 120 grain plainbased RNFP in my 14 incher with accuracy that holds out to 250 yards plus.....fun little plinking round and as accurate as I can hold. Just make sure you do not nove the shoulder back after firing by Neck Sizing or partial FL sizing. My contender barrels throw a hissy fit when you move the neck back to where saami says it should be.

Three44s
09-11-2013, 01:03 AM
So many barrels ......... so little time!!

In two years and change ........... eleven barrels and two frames around here ..... yes, they "multiply"!!!

Three 44s

Wayne S
09-11-2013, 03:03 AM
Ummmmm, sounds like a " money pit ". Wish I had realized that SEVERAL frames and more barrels that "Carter has Liver pills " ago.
Check the bbl's twist, the early 30 Cal. bbl's came with a 1-14 twist.
If you start going higher that your present load look for one of the T/C Contender grips with the rubber cushion on the back or a Pachmeyer grip.

Ben
09-11-2013, 07:30 AM
Good ideas offered by all of you.

Many thanks,
Ben

TCLouis
09-11-2013, 10:44 PM
Lee C309 115 RNFP or the "Soupcan" is a match for your gun and barrel.

Ben
09-12-2013, 08:17 AM
I put my Bushnell Trophy 2 X - 6X variable pistol scope on my T-C yesterday :

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/haysb/004-60.jpg

quilbilly
09-15-2013, 12:02 AM
In a few years you will have 4-5 frames, 12-14 barrels, and be thinking about another frame. It is a terrible thing. I speak from experience

Ben
09-15-2013, 12:30 AM
Guess I better start saving money UUUhhhh ?

41mag
09-15-2013, 05:45 AM
This is how it starts. You need to immediately sell that gun or you will in no time have a half dozen barrels for it.

So many barrels ......... so little time!!

In two years and change ........... eleven barrels and two frames around here ..... yes, they "multiply"!!!

Sadly what they speak is the truth. I must admit it has happened to me as well. My only saving grace has been, "that I got into casting". (like that has been much better on my wallet)

I started out with a 7x30 Waters, now have several in .357, 44, one in .223 AI, one in 30-30AI, and well I know there are a couple more but anyway you see it's pointless to resist.

Just go ahead and clean off a shelf in your safe and dedicate it to barrels, frames, and the wooden furniture you will want to try. One other thing I can pass on that might help, try and pick up those Weaver type rails, and quick detach rings. This way as you add barrels, you don't HAVE to add another scope. Well the last part is up t you. I certainly cannot be held good on that either. But at least I am trying.

Ben
09-15-2013, 10:23 AM
Sadly what they speak is the truth. I must admit it has happened to me as well. My only saving grace has been, "that I got into casting". (like that has been much better on my wallet)

I started out with a 7x30 Waters, now have several in .357, 44, one in .223 AI, one in 30-30AI, and well I know there are a couple more but anyway you see it's pointless to resist.

Just go ahead and clean off a shelf in your safe and dedicate it to barrels, frames, and the wooden furniture you will want to try. One other thing I can pass on that might help, try and pick up those Weaver type rails, and quick detach rings. This way as you add barrels, you don't HAVE to add another scope. Well the last part is up t you. I certainly cannot be held good on that either. But at least I am trying.

I have little room in the safe and little $.
This could be a problem for me that will take care of itself ? ? ?

Ben

fryboy
09-15-2013, 12:10 PM
....maybe i shouldnt of posted that link to ed's tc ..... :P

i do have to grant that nothing expanded my reloading knowledge ( and expenditures ) quite as much as the hoss trade that put me onto my first 'tender and pretty soon it seems i wanted a frame for every barrel - especially the rifle barrels ,in the end i used to ask myself was it worth it ? for me it was ( erm and still is ) the pure enjoyment ( ok ok and some frustration ) i've had over the years has been priceless ! it's also what i reach for when a kid wants to learn how to shoot , the single shot assures that they wont try the "spray and pray" we see so much of from hollywierd and a soft shooting accurate 38 special loads assures that they stand a good chance of hitting the target and not get beat up in the process ( the shine in their eyes and smiles on their faces further enhance the "priceless" aspect of it ) and it's also economical to boot ( ie; win/win ! )

gsdelong
09-15-2013, 07:56 PM
When it gets really bad you have to buy a "TC" safe.

Three44s
09-17-2013, 12:05 AM
I can't wait to inform my wife that we need another safe ...... one just for TC's!!!

(If you don't hear from me for a while ......... you'll know she did not take it well!!)

Ben,

I found most of my barrels on Grey Beard and Accurate Shooters.

Happy huntin' ........ !!

Three 44s

nanuk
09-22-2013, 12:58 PM
Yes, I've thought about the Lee T/L 314 " pistol mold.

Anyone tried this combo in a 30/30 at " plinking ranges " ( 25 - 40 yds. ) ?

My particular pistol is tight on closing with a .311 cast bullet, but has adequate clearance with a .310 " cast bullet.

I wonder if I'd lose a lot of the micro bands going to .310 "

look for posts by Larry Gibson about that exact boolit in all his 30cals.

taco650
09-22-2013, 09:46 PM
How does it shoot???

I'll admit a contender in 30-30 is something I've always wished I could find. However, when I did have the money I couldn't find one so I bought something else. Someday...

Ben
09-27-2013, 07:51 AM
How does it shoot???

I'll admit a contender in 30-30 is something I've always wished I could find. However, when I did have the money I couldn't find one so I bought something else. Someday...

taco650 :

You said that you'd like to see range results with the T/C, 30-30.

After I got my scope roughly sighted in at 50 yards, I shot 2 different groups at 50 yards.

After I shot " Group 1 ", I made windage and elevation adjustments to the scope and proceeded to shoot " Group 2 ".

While I realize that this isn't going to win a lot of praise, but for my 1st day out with the Contender and not knowing if the loads that I shot today are agreeable with the pistol or not, I was reasonably pleased with the way it shot.

More " fine - tuning " and I hope to have this pistol shooting even better. Hey, it is fun and it keeps you off the streets.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/haysb/download-7.jpg

taco650
09-27-2013, 08:39 AM
taco650 :

You said that you'd like to see range results with the T/C, 30-30.

After I got my scope roughly sighted in at 50 yards, I shot 2 different groups at 50 yards.

After I shot " Group 1 ", I made windage and elevation adjustments to the scope and proceeded to shoot " Group 2 ".

While I realize that this isn't going to win a lot of praise, but for my 1st day out with the Contender and not knowing if the loads that I shot today are agreeable with the pistol or not, I was reasonably pleased with the way it shot.

More " fine - tuning " and I hope to have this pistol shooting even better. Hey, it is fun and it keeps you off the streets.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/haysb/download-7.jpg

Ben,

Thanks for posting the target pic. I think those groups are pretty good for just sighting in on a new-to-you gun. Are going to try the groups at 100 yds?

Ben
09-27-2013, 10:19 AM
I had a Contender in 30 Herrett back in the day. Its an efficient little cartridge, and mine was extremely accurate (sub 3" at 200 yards w/5x). I never tried cast in it.

Your results are lookin' promising there Ben.

Thanks !
UUmmm, Well......you got to start somewhere. The " T/C Thing " is still new to me.

It will take me another 40 yrs. to test all my different .30 cal. cast bullet designs.

Keeps me off the streets...............

Ben

HiVelocity
09-27-2013, 08:48 PM
Ben,

My T/C is the 14" model in 30-30. Lots of load data to choose from. Since I hunt with mine, I favor the 165gr Ranch Dog mold. 10 grains of Salut' (Russian Unique) is mild enough to plink, yet strong enough to hunt with. Just my .02 worth.

HV

Ben
09-27-2013, 09:06 PM
I have plenty of Russian Unique.

I'll try your load. Many thanks,

Ben

TCLouis
09-28-2013, 11:01 PM
HiVelocity

Have you used the RD Boolit and Russki Unique on deer?

What distance were the shots?

Heart/Lung or shoulder?

May just go a different direction with mine if that combo was successful.

My Unique look-a-like was sold as #105 but in testing was 100% comparable.

I am using the RD in one cast Boolit aught six.

It is one great Boolit!

Haven't had an opportunity to test in on a deer yet.

taco650
09-29-2013, 08:19 AM
Ben/TCLouis:

What is this "Russian" Unique you both have mentioned and where did you get it?

TCLouis
09-29-2013, 10:11 AM
Were both "MILSURP" or Russki production powders that were once available from Jeff at GIBRASS and were comparable to our own "Unique".

Like all of them they came and went and are no longer available.

taco650
09-29-2013, 01:38 PM
Were both "MILSURP" or Russki production powders that were once available from Jeff at GIBRASS and were comparable to our own "Unique".

Like all of them they came and went and are no longer available.

So much for my plan of getting cheap powder.

TXGunNut
09-29-2013, 08:50 PM
Nice pistol! And yes, they do multiply. I made the mistake of buying two stainless barrels, two scopes and one stainless action 20-some years ago and soon found I had a pistol (.223 Rem) that would shoot better than any rifle I owned (.67-.75") with four different j-word projectiles. The other, in 35 Rem, would produce decent groups IF I could hold onto it. ;-)
Liked those two so well I found a blue 10" .44 with a dot scope and bought it so I could develop .44 Spl-level loads for a .44 my brother had just bought. Figured I'd sell it when I worked up the load. Yeah, right!
A question comes to mind, what do you do when adapting a rifle load to a pistol? My .35 Rem bbl doesn't seem to like CB's and adapting the Contender load using a Hornady 180 J-word has been frustrating.
Looks like the key is a faster powder but my old J-word load was RX7. Guess this is another case of J-word technology not transitioning to CB's.

TCTex
09-29-2013, 09:41 PM
Looking good!!!

Like others have said, the bug has bit...

I have had good luck with Red Dot and Blue Dot with plunking loads in my short barrel TCs FWIW.