PDA

View Full Version : MVA scopes

country gent
09-10-2013, 01:30 PM
I am considering a MVA malcom style scope and long range mounts for a rifle and would like any input thoughts, Ideas, experiences with these scopes and mounts. Rifle is going to be a 40-65 win CPA with 30" barrel. I need to get to 600 yds reliably with BP loads. Any and all info will be greatly appreciated. Thank-you all in advace

Don McDowell
09-10-2013, 01:52 PM
The 23 inch scope with the sillouette mounts should serve just fine. Or go with the creedmoor mounts if you think at some point you'll want to stretch things out a bit.

roachcreek
09-10-2013, 08:06 PM
I bought this one about 10 years ago.

I used it on two different 45 2.6's I had, one a Shiloh Sharps and the other the rifle shown in the picture, a 1878 Borschardt. I had both rilfles drilled and taped so I only had to unscrew the bases and switch them and then dial in the adjustments for that particular rifle.

It was my first mildot scope and I loved it and used it in our local 1000 yard gong shoot in Burns Oregon.

It belongs to my son now, I gave it to him when he returned home from Iraq as a USMC veteran.

Great scope, but it was not gas filled thus only waterproofed by the orings.

http://i1022.photobucket.com/albums/af343/chbartlemay/DSC06861.jpg (http://s1022.photobucket.com/user/chbartlemay/media/DSC06861.jpg.html)

Jon K
09-10-2013, 09:22 PM
It's like Ford or Chevy...pick the one you like. They will all work.

Here's my CPA...
http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l101/Jon_K_2006/CPA.jpg (http://s94.photobucket.com/user/Jon_K_2006/media/CPA.jpg.html)

Dragoon 45
09-10-2013, 11:18 PM
I was going to buy one last spring. But was told by MVA it would be at minimum two months wait to get the scope and would probably be more like four or more months due to their large backorder. As I needed the scope for this year's competition I went with the DZA scope rings and scope package from Buffalo Arms as I could get that much sooner. The MVA folks were very pleasant and above board on the wait time, so I in no way hold that against them, if I could have afforded to wait for the scope I would have ordered it from them. Everyone I know that has one recommends the 28" scope with the Silhouette rear mount.

I was very impressed with MVA's honesty, knowledge, and their courtesy when I talked to them.

I am considering a MVA malcom style scope and long range mounts for a rifle and would like any input thoughts, Ideas, experiences with these scopes and mounts. Rifle is going to be a 40-65 win CPA with 30" barrel. I need to get to 600 yds reliably with BP loads. Any and all info will be greatly appreciated. Thank-you all in advace

Boz330
09-11-2013, 07:42 AM
Another + for MVA. I got the Mil dot scope and have been really happy with it. Mine is on a 40-65 Ballard and a Highwall. When the eyes get to the point that you can't pick up the silhouettes anymore, missing is only fun for a short period of time.

Bob

gmsharps
09-11-2013, 07:56 AM
I would go with the 23in MVA

gmsharps

Baja_Traveler
09-11-2013, 10:38 AM
I got lucky - JonK (4 posts up) found me a 28" with the Creedmoor mounts for a good price. And he drilled and tapped my Sharps to mount it.

Once I get used to using it I'm going to really like it. Shot it for the first time last weekend at our BPCR match and I'm still not used to pulling the scope back after every shot, but I'll get there. Sure is nice being able to perfectly see the target for once!

country gent
09-11-2013, 02:09 PM
I see the reticles for the MVA scopes are also sold seperatly One comes with the scope but are they easily interchanged?

Jon K
09-11-2013, 11:36 PM
Yes, easy swap, but not in the B-5 scope.

Jon

jlmurphy
09-12-2013, 01:54 PM
I bought the MVA B5 recently and am really happy with it so far. My shooting partner lent me a MVA 30" with the Malcolm style mounts, and even though the optics are great and the mounts well made, I couldn't get used to the Malcolm mounts. The B5 has Unertl style mounts and, at least for me, are much easier to use, in addition the centerline of the B5 is almost 1/2" lower than the Malcolm style scopes, and at 16" versus 30", plus the extra weight at the end of the barrel, the B5 was my choice. I asked if it was possible to buy the 23" MVA scope with the Unertl mounts, but it was a no go.

Don McDowell
09-12-2013, 02:13 PM
While it is in fact an added expense it is not an unheard of thing to replace the MVA rear mount with the DZ Arms Unertl mount.

Kenny Wasserburger
09-12-2013, 04:00 PM
How very odd, I just picked up my MVA 23 inch scope at Big Whiskey at the Shiloh Match Sunday with Unertl mounts installed on it and 4 special blocks one for Silhouette Distances, and 1 for 800 yards, 1 for 900 yards and 1 for 1000 yards. These blocks will allow the tube to be more centered in the mount while shooting.

KW
The Lunger

Don McDowell
09-12-2013, 04:49 PM
I wish MVA would update their web site to at least include the Winchester scope.

Kenny Wasserburger
09-12-2013, 05:54 PM
I know Don,

He is a busy guy though thats for sure, I love those Unertl mounts and with no clicks they be legal for Silhouette and Long Range woot woot! Just wish I had more time to wring em out so I could use em next weekend at Raton.

KW
The Lunger

Lead pot
09-12-2013, 06:57 PM
I have a MVA 28" scope. I have had it now for six years?? Really forgot when I did get it and it is a very good scope but it's the Creedmoor mounts I have a problem with. For fine adjustments it just plain sucks! I cannot see the hash marks and at long range if I don't use a magnifying glass and feel the backlash take up it's hard for me to make a fine adjustment without going off the edge of a 4' wide target frame at long range. I been fighting switching over to a scope from the tang sights because my eyes are failing but if you can’t see the graduations on the sight mounts what good is the scope. I only use the scope set for one range for developing loads. For using it in a Match it's useless for me.
When I ask other users how they get along with these mounts most say by feel; I can’t see the adjustments either and it costs me a lot of bad shots.
The DZ mounts I think would a big plus with this scope.

Don McDowell
09-12-2013, 07:12 PM
Kenny I like those MVA Unertl mounts that came with the B5. Altho I'm not convinced they work for the long range stuff without a bit of poking around with the bases? But as is on the 22 Carol is really glad we picked that thing up. Using the 7.2 centers on the bases those marks on are just exactly 1 minute with the SK 22 ammo.

Don McDowell
09-12-2013, 07:15 PM
Kurt I believe Micheal Jackson is running the DZ mounts on his MVA, and doing quite well with the set up on both the 22 and the creedmoor guns.

Kenny Wasserburger
09-12-2013, 08:10 PM
I have progressive lens in my glasses, been shooting the scope since 2005 in competition, I have no problem staying on target or dialing in. Though in fast changing conditions the use fo the mil-dots have been invaluable.

Elevation is easy with the 23 inch scope and my Creedmoor Mounts, 3 tick marks is a MOA, same for elevation and Windage. For back lash I go up past a couple and return back. Much the same as I would with Irons.

KW
The Lunger

Lead pot
09-12-2013, 08:31 PM
Don,

I had a chance to handle a scope with the DZ mounts and I will get a set ordered when I get back from my hunt.
This winter I will make use of my Whittington range membership and get my settings worked out the two or three week stay I will be there.

Don McDowell
09-12-2013, 11:34 PM
Kurt I sure like these DZ mounts I have, and I'm a betting that once you get that scope mounted in those you're going to be shooting that combo for a long time. That will likely make you and that big 44 a really serious threat on the long lines.

Lead pot
09-13-2013, 11:11 AM
I'm going to research them a lot more to see if they will work at long range using the 28" MVA scope.
If they work as well as the unertl scope I had it would make it top notch.

:) The 100 did pretty well at Lodi despite the two cross fires and two complete misses because I couls not see the target and number boards right :oops:

Don McDowell
09-13-2013, 12:11 PM
Kurt I could send you these mounts and you could run them a bit before you bought some. Won't be needing them till next spring.

Lead pot
09-13-2013, 12:26 PM
That's kind of you Don. But no don't send them. Things get lost in the mail sometimes.
I will ask guys like you that use them on what the short fall is using them from close range to at least 1200 that they will get used at.

Don McDowell
09-13-2013, 12:53 PM
You might call DZ and visit with them a bit. I've only used them with the 18 inch scope and 7.5 inch centers.
I'll ask Micheal what distance centers he's using with those (we're slated to shoot part of the midrange matches together next week) , but I think his scope is a 23 inch. I do know he had no trouble whackin the 10 ring at 1k with his 38-70.

Lead pot
09-13-2013, 02:08 PM
Pick his brain a little when your together if you have time to do so.
I can always change the blocks if needed to go close and for the Creedmoor ranges that would not be a problem with the 28" scope.

Don McDowell
09-13-2013, 02:36 PM
What spacing are your blocks right now?

Lead pot
09-13-2013, 03:52 PM
It's 17"

Don McDowell
09-13-2013, 06:40 PM
According to the info on DZ's chart with an 18 inch scope that would give you 80 minutes of elevation.

Lead pot
09-13-2013, 08:06 PM
Don.

18" scope or 18" spacing of the blocks?
My scope setting with the 17" block spacing is 75 @ 1000yds at Lodi and 72 at the Alliance 1000. the setting for 100 yards is 2. So it should work unless the adjustment is different on the AZ mounts and I'm missing something.

Don McDowell
09-13-2013, 08:53 PM
Kurt that's for an 18 inch scope on 17 inch center blocks with the DZ mounts.
Put a bit taller rear block than than the front and I'm thinking it'll make the distance.

Kermit1945
09-14-2013, 12:57 AM
With any externally adjustable mounts--Unertl, Fecker, DZ, et. al.--it's the distance between mounts that is important, not the scope length, IIRC. I shoot a 36" tube sight, and the adjustments mirror my scope adjustments. True, the ends of the scope or tube move farther per click as the scope/tube increases, but it's about the angle of the sight/scope that does the trick. I suppose you could mount MVA's longest scope in DZ mounts, and then the short HiLux Malcolm, and the point of impact would move the same on target per click. Angles. Geometry. Longer block spacing decreases the angle change per click. So, by increasing the block spacing, you effectively decrease the range of adjustment at the target your mounts will give you because it takes more clicks to accomplish the same angle change. With longer block spacing you may need to have rear blocks of differing heights to get on at a variety of ranges.

Gunlaker
09-14-2013, 10:48 AM
Does anyone know when the original Unertl style mounts were first made? Were they available before the Sharps company shut it's doors? I have been thinking of a set of those DZ mounts, maybe for one of my highwalls though.

Thanks,

Chris.

Don McDowell
09-14-2013, 11:49 AM
If you go look at Cornell publishings web site you can find reprints of catalogs, so that might be about as good of a way to date the Unertl. I don't believe they started until after the turn of the century, but stil plenty "authentic" enough to mount on an 85.

Lead pot
09-14-2013, 02:37 PM
Unertl has only been around since the mid 30's the Fecker scope has been around longer.
Both are top notch scops and mounts. I have used both on bench rifles.

Kermit1945
09-14-2013, 04:04 PM
Unertl worked for Fecker before going on his own. Other manufacturers made various externally adjustable mounts before Unertl too.

Griz
03-07-2017, 07:20 PM
Bought a old Navy Arms brass scope 3/4"x 32" optics are clear. I would like to mount it on my Hepburn 45-70 for silhouette matches but need mounts. Anyone have a set of mounts they are willing to sale?