PDA

View Full Version : 35 remington wildcat?

nekshot
09-10-2013, 06:20 AM
Ok, I think most of us are seeing the virtue of the 35 cal and cast. With the industry streamling their ideas of what they want us to buy some calibers are disappearing as the 35 rem. I have been toying with the idea of taking a 94 and asking jes to rebore it to 35 remington. Why not 35-30? No dies, brass or loading info available easily. If you take a 303brit and trim the neck back to length of 35 remington, anneal it and gently push thru 35 rem die out comes a very close to tolerance case. Trim a wee bit off the rim and it should be ready to function in the 30-30 gammot of guns. After the first discharge it would be a proper spec 35 rem case. It would head space off the rim so no more misfires from cases ran to far up sizing die. What am I missing in this idea? I am only short the dollars to do it but eventually that will work out and I plan to try it. I made the cases and that works and you might not have to trim the rim any(will depend on each gun). If the 35 rem is obsolete than to me this is a easy fix with plenty of brass available.
nekshot

Dan Cash
09-10-2013, 07:20 AM
I don't follow. .303 is rimmed, .35 Rem is not. The rim case won't function in a standard .35 Rem chamber.

Lefty SRH
09-10-2013, 07:24 AM
I don't follow. .303 is rimmed, .35 Rem is not. The rim case won't function in a standard .35 Rem chamber.

I think what he's saying is re-bore and rechamber a 30-30 rifle barrel to 35 Remmy. Trim and form the cases to 35 Remmy. This way you have the 30-30 bolt head correct and just trim the rim a bit to fit to the bolt head.
Maybe a "dual wildcat".....

nekshot
09-10-2013, 02:28 PM
The gun I want to use is a ae94 and that action will let me take the 35 where I want to go. With the way the suppliers are letting the 35 caliber cartridges shrivel up and dry away, I see this as a win win. Brass for the 35 rimless is not easy to make, and 303 brass is readily available. Also the misfire gremlin would not haunt me with a rimmed case. I have other 35 rem that must stay original and keeping brass for them might become a chore in itself.

cabezaverde
09-10-2013, 02:46 PM
I have a Contender barrel in 35Rem rimmed formed from 30-40 Krag, It shoots well and case life is excellent. I just don't use it much.