PDA

View Full Version : Got one of the brand new lee 2 cav molds, WOW!

Raven_Darkcloud
09-10-2013, 05:17 AM
The Lee molds are in stock again and I got one. Ordered a 401-175-tc 2 cav mold from midway. when I pulled it from the box I was in total shock. It was beautifully machined with steel alignment pins. no more ugly lee half a$$ job. The pot is heating up and soon I will have some 40cal boolits.

Raven_Darkcloud
09-10-2013, 05:40 AM
Well I gota scrub it down a bit better as one cav is wrinkly but it makes nice boolits and works great on alignment. with my 20:1 they drop at about 180-181gr. So I will scrub it down again to get what I missed but I am happy with the new style and I hope all the 2 cav are this way now.

gwpercle
09-10-2013, 01:17 PM
Also pleased with the "new" Lee 2-cavity design. Got a 41 magnum pistol and 303 british rifle moulds from Midway. Scrubbed with acetone and cast a few, let cool . Needed more cleaning. Scrubbed again with acetone for session #2 , when moulds got to temperature the slugs filled out and dropped on the towel just like a good mould should do it. I'm happy with them , the cavities seem smoother and the cast boolits look better. no fill out or releasing problems...$20.00 well spent.
Gary

bangerjim
09-10-2013, 02:04 PM
I have acquired 6 of these in the past several months because I could not find the 6 bangers.

I have had no problems at all with the design. Cavs are polished and smooth. Pins align perfectly.

I do very little cleaning, just a quick wipe with acetone and swab out the cavs with a Q-tip and acetone. That's it. I have NEVER had to do all the scrubbing and cleaning and scrubbing and cleaning that is so elaborately described on this site and in many net videos.

And.........hold on to your ACETONE...........

I even use my 38's and 45's to cast hot melt glue slugs. That entails spraying them with Pam (grease.....OMG!) and coating the cavs with Pam during the injecting of HMG. And.....(I know this is scary for you mold cleaning gurus out there) I keep the mold COLD by rubbing an ice cube on the bottom of the mold after the HMG is injected. Turns out PERFECT plastic boolits. I even put a 1/4" steel slingshot ball in the nose of the 38's and a 32 cal lead ball I cast in the nose of the 45's! They fly real nice with only about 1.5gn or so of ANY shotshell powder (use what you can easily find!) Very quite...you can shoot them inside. Pam and water will NOT ruin a mold, as some have lamented about on this site. I do NOT drill out the flash hole. And I swap between lead and HMG with only the minimum cleaning I described above with absolutely NO sticking/wrinkling problems in the lead.

The Lee 2 bangers are perfect for HMG and real lead slugs also. And, being only about $20, they allow you to have several styles/weights for very little $$ investment!

Lots-o-fun.

bangerjim:guntootsmiley:

Shooter6br
09-10-2013, 02:25 PM
Had one for my 380 Bersa Thunder since Jan. BIG IMPROVEMENT . Mold aligns perfectly. I would only by the"New " Lee

DLCTEX
09-10-2013, 10:27 PM
The one new style I have had burrs on the sprue plate and the top of the mould was scratched right out of the box. A little attention with abrasive cloth on the edges took care of that.

gdpudge
09-10-2013, 10:58 PM
I have 2 lee molds. One Is a older 9 mm and the other is a fairly new one sized in .358. The new one seems to be real sloppy and its a bear to get the pins lined up at times. I have cast approximately 300 bullets with it and after it closes the seams are nonexistent on the bullet

Tim357
09-10-2013, 11:22 PM
Not a fan of the new Lee molds. While they cast decent boolits, it takes too much fiddlng to close them without boogering them up. Never had a problem with any of the old style. These new ones are sloppy. But, as long as they cast decent boolits, I'll use what I have. Otherwise, I'm on the hunt for old style molds.

IROCZ
09-11-2013, 12:35 PM
I got a new 312-185 Lee about a week ago. Cleaned it with Brakecleen and lubed with anti seize and started casting. It works great. I just ordered another for .451 RB.

bangerjim
09-11-2013, 12:59 PM
Well, now that it has quit raining here in the desert, I was able to do some casting.

Worked with three 2 banger Lee molds last evening, 105g 38, 120g 30, and 300g 45.

They turn out nice slugs and at a pretty good rate if you pre-heat your mold.

Now to sort and size them before ES gun powder coating them.

bangerjim

41 mag fan
09-12-2013, 07:24 PM
Still a ugly half a*s job.....only thing they did was add the alignment pins. Otherwise, the bottom 1/2 of mold will cool quicker, causing wrinkles prematurely.
Alignment still sucks, all the new ones I bought so far still need to be closed on a board or flat surface.
All mine needed QC'd...leemented and deburred before use.
I'd rather they kept the pins and did a better job on the cavities.

TheGrimReaper
09-15-2013, 03:40 PM
I too really like the new improved molds from Lee!!!