PDA

View Full Version : Safe Gun Carry on the Hunt.

303Guy
09-09-2013, 07:44 PM
Leading from the accidental hunting death thread, what is considered the safest gun carry mode?

I carry with the bolt unlocked and a cartridge in the chamber when expecting to come across an animal. Otherwise the chamber is empty and bolt open. This carry mode is quite safe for the Lee Enfield as it cannot get accidentally bumped into cocked and closed. Cock on opening rifles can easily close since they are already cocked.

How do you all carry your rifles?

Safety catches range from downright dangerous to just dodgy. One of the worst is the SMLE and No4 safeties (I use the name 'safety' loosely). They get bumped off just be looking at them. My old MLE has has a nice and reasonably safe 'safety'. I use it for locking the bolt closed on an empty chamber with striker down. Some safeties are ambiguous as to which position is on or off. M14/mini-14/Garand/M1 carbine safeties are pretty good I think. They can be carried on the ready with the trigger finger outside the trigger guard on the safety during the stalk. Modified Mauser safeties to accommodate a scope are often done the wrong way round and default to fire position. Lift up to lock and bump off to fire. Unmodified Mauser safeties are pretty good but are ambiguous. I was nearly killed by one (by an idiot who also got confused with on and off and pointed the damn thing at me saying "should I pull the trigger", may his soul rest in peace). That was boyish foolishness with a gun without proper firearm training! My Anschutz is about right. Depress into the stock for safe and lift to fire.

For me the disadvantage of half open bolt carry is dirt getting in the action. The disadvantage of chamber empty bolt open carry is the chance of losing cartridges. My Anschutz and 22lr's are dodgy with bolt unlocked and chambered round. They can easily be bumped into locked and ready to fire so they get carried with an empty chamber and bolt open.

youngda9
09-09-2013, 08:02 PM
I always have a round in the chamber with the firearm on safe. The most important safety is between your ears. I never point the gun at something I don't want to poke a hole through, and I never touch the trigger until I am ready to fire.

My Ruger Hawkeye has the bolt closed on a loaded chamber and the safety all the way to the rear which blocks the firing pin. My 1894 lever gun gets carried loaded with the hammer at 1/2 cock.

1Shirt
09-09-2013, 08:07 PM
In reality, there is no such thing as a safe gun when it is in someones hand. The gun by itself is a safe item-------until it is in the hand. I carry one in the chamber, safe on when still hunting. When in a stand I have one in the chamber, bolt handle up.
1Shirt!

John Allen
09-09-2013, 08:15 PM
I was always taught to keep the gun pointed down and the opposite direction other persons. I have mine loaded and depending on the gun usually have my hand over the trigger guard when walking through brush.

303Guy
09-09-2013, 08:22 PM
Aah, the hammer at half cock. I like that but don't have a hammer gun.

Something to think about hammer guns is the possibility of it firing if dropped straight back onto its butt onto a hard surface. Same with revolvers, half cock or not. It might seem unlikely but people have been killed by it. It's to do with the weight distribution of the hammer and trigger about the pivot. Both the hammer and trigger can get drawn back from the inertia of impact. (I know of one case in which a revolver wad dropped onto concrete, landing on the butt and firing, killing a family member or friend).

blikseme300
09-09-2013, 11:34 PM
Always point the muzzle away from anything of value or anybody with the finger away from the trigger. I typically use Marlin lever action rifles for hunting and have a round in the chamber with the hammer at half cock. Even if dropped the scope should prevent the hammer from being struck. I get quite nervous around bolt guns with the lax safety discipline of most other hunters. In my experience trained ex infantry are the safest fellow hunters.

waksupi
09-09-2013, 11:59 PM
I carry with one chambered, and safety on. I only have Winchester M 70 type safeties on my hunting rifles, save one, with a standard military safety. Probably the most idiot proof of all.
I carry my flintlocks on half cock. No way are you going to have an accidental discharge with one, without bashing the cock with a hammer, and actually breaking the sear or tumbler.

303Guy
09-10-2013, 06:19 PM
OK now don't y'all get me wrong. I carried hammer guns the same way as you folks - after all, how else are we supposed to carry a gun on the ready? Just trying to explain what I mean by inertia firing, that's all, just an awareness thing and out of interest (assuming that someone might be interested).

See how the pivot is low on the hammer and high on the trigger? If that gun were to be dropped straight back onto the butt, the hammer and trigger will draw back under inertia. That doesn't mean it will fire but something like that could fire.

As has been stated, the best safety is between the ears. Not many of us would drop a rifle. If we fall we hang on to them and keep them out of harms way, even to our own detriment.

But sometimes we are not aware of a particular guns week points. Like the Lee Enfield. I've already said they have c-r-a-p safeties and I wouldn't use it. They have another unexpected safety issue - closing the bolt over a chambered round with the trigger depressed and fire the things! Now I now this for a fact. Never chamber a round, close the bolt then pull the cocking piece onto half-cock. It might be a perfectly safe carry mode requiring only pulling the cocking piece all the way back. The problem is the motion rotating the bolt drops the striker quite fast. Snap the extractor over the rim and simultaneously rotating the bolt will fire it! And that half-cock is not all that safe either - some of them will fire (like one of mine - I tested it). Besides, the striker could easily slip out the fingers and fire it if it hasn't reached the half-cock. That's for Lee Enfields.

Lefty SRH
09-10-2013, 07:30 PM
My No.1 Ruger, is loaded and safety on, my '77 model 336 Marlin there's no button safety so I carry it chambered and 1/2" cock, my Scout rifle (haven't hunted it yet) I'd carry it chambered with safety in third position which locks the bolt closed.

richhodg66
09-10-2013, 07:38 PM
This is one reason I really like Model 70 Winchesters, isn't a better safety out there for me.

I hunted last year with a Savage 99 and always kind of worried a bit about accidentally flipping that trigger safety off but it didn't happen.

For guns with a hammer, I just load it and lower the hammer. Basically, I hunt with a loaded gun and safety on and rely on safe gun handling mostly.

MT Gianni
09-10-2013, 10:37 PM
BLR has one in the chamber and the hammer down. Bolt has one in and the safety on. My first hiuunting experiences were pheasants over dogs and I was taught to always be aware of the muzzle. Yet I have seen far to many folks running with shotguns even with exposed hammers cocked.

TCLouis
09-14-2013, 02:41 PM
I never carry hunting with bolt open as I have dropped a bolt when walking from the house to the range . . .

Don't ask me what/how it happened, I only know the result, walk back and find the bolt lying in the grass..

In response to the original posted question, loaded, safety on, muzzle in a save direction and controllable in a fall!.

barrabruce
09-17-2013, 04:22 AM
Don't believe in safties ..never have.
I grew up with shotguns mostly hunting.
Either its broken with shell in it or not or ready to shoot.

Basically I'm ready to shoot or not.

Pointed in a safe direction in control of the firearm if one trips/ falls .
I don't shoot with people that let a gun wave around ..or can't follow or lead safely or keep a line.

Suppose I'm from the lost generation where we didn't need to think about it much cos' we had some form of awareness and responsibility.

Stephen Cohen
09-17-2013, 05:53 AM
In some ways it depends on the hunt, but where ever possible I carry empty chamber bolt closed, which in some ways was silly when you consider I carried handguns for work it was all chambers loaded or cocked and locked safety on for auto. But they were in good holsters. Should point out handguns were Ruger security 6 and 1911 auto.

09-17-2013, 09:14 AM
For general carry, I carry empty chamber. An AD on my Ruger #1 made me more aware than usual. It was slung over my shoulder, safety on, and bumping and grinding through rough terrain/brush with heavy winter clothing and a back pack, it slipped to safety off. Thrashing through deep cover isn't hunting, it's traveling, albeit slowly. Further jostling and the trigger was tripped. It discharged while slung. Never thought it could have happened, but it did. Rule #1, keep it pointed in a safe direction at all times paid off. There is only one perfect thing in this world, and the various chunks of metal and wood that make up our guns are not it. Any safety can fail due to wear, rust, dirt, inadvertent manipulation, or breakage. Use them but don't rely on them. Only the safety between your ears is truly important. Keep it pointed in a safe direction. Once a "hunting" situation presents, I chamber, place safety on, and proceed. In the stand - chambered / safety / hunt.

NLS1
09-19-2013, 08:50 PM
Safety is between the ears, not on the gun.

All guns are loaded in my mind. Never point it at anything you don't intend to destroy, finger off trigger until ready to fire, beware of what's beyond the target. Those were some incredibly well articulated guidelines. Couldnt have done better myself.

Can't stand trusting a safety on a gun. It is simply a slight deterrent to the gun firing, and can't be trusted in my opinion.

I do tend to like guns with a hammer or some other visible indicator as to whether it is actually ready to fire. But they are always capable of firing in my mind until I have personally unloaded it myself completely. Somebody else saying it is unloaded means nothing to me.

If they are waving it around they get a talkin to.

I had a close call with my oldest this year. For years he has been told the key rules, especially to keep the trigger finger out of the trigger guard and mind the muzzle. He was sitting next to me at our little private place we go to shoot. He went to reach for something and fell out of his chair with his 10/22 in his hand, I looked over and had the muzzle in my face!!!!! His finger was not on the trigger, but the weapon was hot, safety off, between shots. Could have been my last day. Boy did he get a talkin to! I have no idea why the weapon was still in his hands while he was trying to do something else? Anyhow we have had several long talks about that since then.

God's incredible grace sure was evident that day!

Be careful everyone. And don't forget to pound in the safe handling!

Just remember the number one priority on a hunt or while shooting is to go home safely, not just the taking of animals or tight groups! I am just preaching to the choir I know! :)

Dan

DougGuy
09-19-2013, 09:17 PM
Mossberg 500A round in chamber, bail pulled back out of battery an inch or so while walking or moving. In the treestand, it lays across the lap, in battery, safety on.

Ruger M77 round in chamber, bolt swiveled up almost all the way, while walking or moving. In the treestand, it lays across the lap, in battery, safety on.

Ruger SA revolver (transfer bar) in crossdraw holster, hammer down while walking or moving. In the stand or on a swivel stool, hammer cocked, 100% blocked by left or right thumb between hammer and frame, remainder of blocking hand covering trigger guard.

303Guy
09-19-2013, 11:48 PM
Muzzle awareness is so important. In my parts the use of a suppressor broadens the muzzle control because getting dirt or rain in the muzzle is no longer a problem. I'll stick the suppressor onto the ground rather than point it somewhere less safe. Straight up in the brush won't drop debris in the muzzle either. Several of my buddies have had dirt and mud up the muzzle from poking on the ground.

Talking about waiting in ambush - that is a good time to use the safety on my guns. At least the safety is quite to disengage and the gun is not being handles so it can't get bumped off. What I don't like about the Lee Enfield safety is that it locks the bolt. If another hunter comes into view I am not going to slip the safety off so I can make the gun safe by opening the bolt. Mind you, my 1902 MLE has the bolt mounted safety and while it is supposed to lock the bolt it doesn't. Well, it does but not fully so I can still open the bolt. Now I have an excuse to take that rifle out for a hunt. :Fire:

Wadestep
09-20-2013, 02:54 PM
While actively hunting- round chambered, saftey on. The way I figure it, 3 things need to happen before it's a potentially life-threatening situation -1) saftey malfunction or taken off safe 2) muzzle pointed in an unsafe direction 3) trigger depressed by accident. The chances that all 3 of those things happening at the same instant is almost zip. Everything we do in life from getting out of bed, to driving to the store, to sitting on the couch and eating a twinkie is dangerous - mostly more so than hunting safely and cautiously.

If I'm in a definate non-hunting sitation - ie long walks to/from hunting grounds, climbing ladders or fences, sitting around a camp fire, I'll add the 4th 'step' - either bolt open, or closed on an empty chamber. Unless I'm in big bear country...

flipajig
09-24-2013, 01:14 AM
I hunt with Encore and Contenders muzzle in a safe direction and one in the pipe you have to cock them in order for them to go bang.
Flip

IROCZ
09-25-2013, 04:28 AM
The only thing that makes a weapon safe or dangerous is the operator.

303Guy
09-25-2013, 06:53 AM
True that but things do happen like slipping when stepping on something unseen or something that looks sound gives way under ones foot. In my parts a slip or to is going to happen. So yes, it's up to the operator to keep things safe in all eventualities.

Sagebrush7
09-25-2013, 11:37 AM
I found early on not to think a gun with the safety on is safe. I had a Remington 308 Mohawk that was recalled in the 70's. They said to test it unloaded with the safety on , bolt cocked slightly slamming the butt on the ground, barrel pointing away from the body or people. Mine fired the first lick. The blood drained from my head! I never transported or kept a loaded round in any gun after that. Remington did replace the assembly.

N4AUD
09-25-2013, 06:14 PM
Chamber loaded and safety on. What is more important is awareness of where your muzzle is pointed at all times, even if you take a spill, which isn't unheard of walking in the woods. I grew up using a single shot shotgun, and there wasn't any half cock on it, or a safety. We carried them with a shell in the chamber and the hammer down because Mr. Squirrel and his pal Mr. Rabbit could disappear in a split second. I don't know of any other way to carry a single shot break action shotgun unless you carry it open, which we never did. My father was a WWII infantryman and taught us to be safe about where we pointed a firearm.

Lead Fred
09-25-2013, 09:17 PM
levers in left arm, cradled, at half cock, loaded chamber
dont hunt with semis or bolt guns, at the range every firearm is carried unloaded & bolt open.

My buddy blew most of his left forearm off in a hunting mishap years ago. He now only hunts with a lever.
He was crossing some logs when they rolled out from under him. The bolt gun went flying, landed on the butt, broke the stock, fell over and went off.
The safety had been on.

jhalcott
09-25-2013, 09:39 PM
I hunt with many different firearms. With TC Contenders I have a loaded chamber at all times. Gun is in a holster across my chest. With any magazine gun I have an empty chamber with the mag full. A revolver has an empty chamber under the hammer. I try to keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction at all times. I do not "still" hunt like I used to, but sit in a good ground blind to ambush the game.

303Guy
09-26-2013, 02:02 AM
The bolt gun went flying, landed on the butt, broke the stock, fell over and went off.Did anyone figure out the mechanics of what made it go off?

I'd think the Mauser safety can't get knocked off from full lock. Yet, never say never.

LeftyDon
09-26-2013, 02:40 PM
Never trust a safety. When climbing, crossing a fence or taking a pee break - empty chamber. The few critters you can't kill because of empty chamber is nothing compared to having to explain just how you shot someone with a gun on safe.

Lead Fred
09-26-2013, 07:48 PM
Did anyone figure out the mechanics of what made it go off?

The rifle was his Dad's Mossberg 30-06 sold by Sears in the late 50s. The safety was a rocker style like on a Sheridan/Benj air rifle
He now carries the Marlin 336 I sold him. We retired that old Mossy

GabbyM
09-27-2013, 11:23 AM
Once back in the 70's I owned a used push feed Mauser. Maybe an Interarms, can't recall. Previous owner had most probably ground the trigger sear down. When you set the slide type trigger lock safety it bumped the trigger. Then when you slid "safety" to off the pin would drop. Every time. Found this out when playing with the unloaded gun in my home. Obviously I didn't use that safety. Replacing the trigger was cheap enough. Since I was just a youngster at the time I was surprised a man would sell a gun in that condition.

Last two walk about bolt guns I've bought are a Ruger M-77 and Win M-70. One big selling point is there big three position bolt mounted firing pin block safety.