PDA

View Full Version : Why not more brass molds?

jonk
10-24-2007, 09:06 AM
You know, my best two casting molds (or moulds as the parlance goes down under) are from CBE in Australia. They are made of brass and cold or hot, no matter if I flux, don't flux, what the alloy mix is, they drop a perfect bullet every time. There is no galling, no stickiness, nothing. I've never even seen them drop a frosted bullet.

On the other hand, with both steel and aluminum molds, I've had my share of headaches as have most folks now and again. Not that it is a LOT of trouble but they just don't seem to work as effortlessly as the brass.

So.....why not more brass molds?

Bass Ackward
10-24-2007, 09:19 AM
I have several brass molds and love them. Particularly for bullet weights in the 200 to 400 grain range.

Allot lot of old time casters actually liked brass. One big name was Elmer Keith. The down side to brass is that it is heavy and it tends to warp when machining. The stress in brass can be difficult to remove predictibly enough for fine detail like a mold cavity. So reject rates tend to run higher. Higher reject rates can mean higher costs.

ssn vet
10-24-2007, 10:47 AM
according to the ABCs of Reloading....it's simply a cost issue

Brass is great, but manufacturers are cost prohibited

Lloyd Smale
10-24-2007, 11:33 AM
I know that rob applegates brass molds are about the best there is or at least was. They were a little heavy and tended to heat up faster then steel but sure casted beautifuly when the temp was right.

JRR
10-24-2007, 03:50 PM
I have a brass Applegate 45 colt WFN mould that casts approx. 285 gr. It is beautiful and casts perfect bullets after it is warmed up for about 2 casts. Extremely accurate out of my Win 94, 16". Longer than average gas check shank which holds more lube. No leading at over 1600 fps.

I believe that this is one of his last moulds produced and feel privaleged to have it.