PDA

View Full Version : Converting from 209 to #11 for Traditions Buckstalker inline

44CALinTN
09-09-2013, 01:29 PM
Before asking *** please understand my situation. Due to once being charged with a misdemeanor for arguing in public with my then GF I can not own a modern firearm or the components for loading such as 209 primers. So I am limited to what I can hunt with. I purchased a Traditions Buckstalker before I knew the limitations on using 209 primers so before giving up on the gun which I am happy with I would like to discuss modifying the breech plug to use #11's or something else that I can use in the gun.

Question 1) Can I convert the breech plug on my Traditions Buckstalker from 209 primer to #11 percusion cap? Technically I can modify the breech plug by installing a modified #11 nipple but will the #11 have enough power to ignite the BP through the long breech plug?

Question 2) Winchester Triple Se7en 209's are made specifically for use in black powder riffles and not for use in reloading shot shells. They state this on the package. Doing my homework I found that they use a smaller charge so as to not push the powder when ignited - would these be considered the same as a regular 209 primer in terms of the title #18 GCA? Basically can I use them considering my situation?

Thanks and happy hunting :)

mooman76
09-09-2013, 08:19 PM
It should be doable. You might want to check first and see if they already make a replacement Breach plug for your gun. I bought a CVA a few years ago because it was on clearance. It came with two different breach plugs so it is capable of shooting #11, musket cap or a 209 primer. They make a magnum #11 which might help or even you could go with a musket cap which is hotter. As far as question 2 I am not familiar with title 18 but I wouldn't think it would be considered the same as 209 primers as they are BP subs not made for cartridge guns. They could be used in a cartridge gun but so could real BP.

44CALinTN
09-09-2013, 09:31 PM
Thanks mooman76. I looked around for an existing conversion but all I got was conversions going the opposite direction. If I can't find one I think the best thing to do is buy a replacement breech plug and attempt a conversion. I have the #11 nipples already and a breech plug is less than $20 so no big loss there I guess if it doesn't work out. Anyway just trying to stick to the letter of the law, thanks again.

mooman76
09-09-2013, 10:34 PM
Maybe this http://www.amazon.com/Traditions-Performance-Firearms-Muzzleloader-In-Line/dp/B000N8JV5E/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1378780364&sr=8-2&keywords=traditions+breech+plug

starmac
09-10-2013, 07:44 AM
Are the breechplugs any farthur from the powder than the ones on the TC scout series. The # 11s work fine on them.
No guns for a misdemeanor, whats up with that???

7of7
09-10-2013, 08:24 AM
Are the breechplugs any farthur from the powder than the ones on the TC scout series. The # 11s work fine on them.
No guns for a misdemeanor, whats up with that???

Probably classified as domestic assault..
I would be inclined to petition for reinstatement of my 2nd amendment rights... but, I don't know the history..

44CALinTN
09-10-2013, 12:40 PM
7of7 is correct on the DA, I have inquired about restoration but the wait period is 5 years in TN which is not far off now. No guarranty either - depends on who reviews case and etc. I will attempt anyway. Only incident I have ever had so crossing fingers and hoping for the best. I was informed by the officer on scene that 'we have to arrest one or the other, that's just the way it is once we get a call now-a-days'. So guess who went to the pokey, lol.

mooman76 -> I saw those but was not sure the thread would match up with the Accelerator plugs. I had planned to do a physical check this weekend at the gun shop. I will post result just in case others may want to know.

44CALinTN
09-10-2013, 12:53 PM
Update: Spoke with Traditions on the issue. They said it is do-able by machining a threaded hole into the breech plug to accept the #11 nipple and drilling out the nipple so there is no small hole at the back. HOWEVER, the problem is a possible ignition upon closing the break action back up. The gun could go off = OUCH or HOLLY ****!!! Well darn, hummmmmmmm - now what, lol.

Also - the thread pattern on the breech plug mooman76 referenced is not the same so that's a no go too.