PDA

View Full Version : Roundball recipe

Flinchrock
10-24-2007, 04:16 AM
Does anyone have a recipe for a 12 guage roundball load using a .690 ball and AA hulls?

TIA.

singleshotbuff
10-24-2007, 08:27 PM
Flinch,

I just use 1 1/8 shot data specific to the wad and primer on hand. For example, I use AA hulls, W209 primers and WAA12 wads, then just use a recipe that calls for 1 1/8oz of shot with that combo. The .690RB weighs less than 1 1/8oz, so using this method has worked safely for me. YMMV.

SSB

longbow
10-24-2007, 11:03 PM
From the Lyman Shotshell Reloading Handbook 3rd edition:

For Winchester Compression formed plastic cases only - 2 3/4"

powder = SR 47565 @ 37.0 grs.
primer = Winchester 209
wad = Winchester #WAA12 with petals removed: 2 Butler .125" cards
slug = .690" ball
roll crimp
pressure = 10,400 LUP

powder = SR 4756 @ 32.5 grs.
primer = Winchester 209
wad = Winchester #WAA12 with petals removed: 2 Butler .125" cards
slug = .690" ball
fold crimp
pressure = 10,100 LUP

Do not substitute components!

I have .690" ball loads from Ballistic Products for other hulls and the Lyman manual lists .690" ball and .662" ball loads for other hulls but no others for Winchester.

It is best to get yourself a good loading manual or two. The current Lyman I have (4th ed.) doesn't list the round balls but has lots of other slug info, Reloading for Shotgunners has slug loading info but again no round ball loads, Ballistic Products Shotgun Slug Loading & Field Application manual has round .690" ball loads for Federal Gold Medal and .715" round ball loads for Fiocchi and they also publish a 1 page data sheet for .690" round ball loads for Fiocchi, Cheddite and Activ.

Again, I can't stress it enough - don't substitute components! If you are loading with black powder or Pyrodex I think about any load you can fit in the hull is safe but not so with smokeless.

Lots of people use a shot load recipe with the same weight as the slug they want to load which may be "safe" as long as the pressure is low but most slug loads I have recipes for are rather high pressure and it is dangerous to change any components.

Lyman uses an example of a primer change raising pressure by 3000 PSI and a wad change rasing pressure by 1,500 PSI with no other changes of components.

So far in my experience "slugs" of various sorts are considerably more accurate than round balls ~ at least out of a smoothbore.

Have fun and shoot safe.

Longbow

JMax
10-31-2007, 01:41 PM
I cast a .678" round ball. Place 2 1/8" 20 gage nitro cardboard wads in the bottom of a WW 1oz wad that has been loaded on top of a 1oz field load. I still have some WW473 but it is no longer available. The round ball is inserted in the cup with the spru up. Then crimped as a normal load. I also make sure that I have a choke tube no tighter than IC. I have shot hundreds of these loads through my Rem 870 and they beat steel plated very well. I used to load these for Second Chance where we would shoot the BCBC (Banzi Charge Bang & Clang) course with knock down tank targets out to 100 yds. I had young kids and little money so I cast these pumkin balls and my own buckshot to save money for entry fees. I could put big dents in the armor plate with these babies.

Flinchrock
10-31-2007, 10:15 PM
I do appreciate the help, thanks again!:-D

freedom475
10-31-2007, 11:16 PM
I am NOT suggesting this, just telling what I have done.
For just a pumkin ball load I've taken the shot out of a 2 3/4 #2shot high brass shell and found it weighed more than may cast .715 RB so I just put the ball back into the case in place of the shot. The loads are fun to shoot out of my Win. 1300 defender. Do not shoot a ball this big out of anything but a CYLINDER bore!

By removeing and weighing the shot and as long as the ball does not weigh more than the removed shot it should be safe to do.

Have fun and be safe!

the sentinel
05-06-2008, 04:20 PM
I'm new to shotshell reloading, so please forgive the stupid question, but what's a compression formed plastic shell? Would that be a AA? What are the ones you get at walmart in the '100rd value packs'?

secondly, where do you get butler cards?

I'm new to this whole shotshell reloading thing, and would like to start, but would like to learn some about it before I jump into it. Thanks!