PDA

View Full Version : shot the 03A3 today!!

rmcc
09-09-2013, 12:38 AM
We had our 2nd Service rifle match at the gun club today. Shot the M1 in the first flite and decided to stay for the 2nd flite. Had brought the 03A3 to show a guy so I figured what the heck, may as well try it. I was pleasantly surprised!! I knew it would be accurate but I figured I would get beat to death with recoil. That was definitely not the case. By the time I was all finished I had shot 120+ M2 loads between the 2 rifles (includes sighters) and was not even tired at the end. Hot yes, it was 94 when we were shooting! I am a lefty so the rapid fire is a little difficult with the bolt but I made all 10 in both prone & sitting. Scores we willl not talk about!! But had a ball!!.

rmcc

Char-Gar
09-09-2013, 07:24 AM
I am a Southpaw and have been shooting the 03 and 03A3 for many years. After a while you get the hang of handling the bolt. I do find the stocks to short for my liking and use a slip on rubber recoil pad to add length.

Jack Stanley
09-10-2013, 10:25 AM
Having a ball is the name of the game ain't it ? Well at least it was for me when I tried high power compitition . I used a Garand to get close to the expert level and if I used my M1A I could get into that range . To me though it was way more fun using a rifle that was made before I was and use surplus ammo or components from surplus .

I've practiced a few times with the A3 and haven't been able to master it . Of course me being a leftie doesn't help that either . The O3 is getting harder because my eyes are starting to loose the sights , the A3 isn't so bad ...... yet .

Jack

millerwb
09-16-2013, 10:55 PM
I too was surprised at the perceived lack of recoil with my 03A3. Mine was as clean as could be with little to no muzzle wear and no wear on the Park. Likely a rebuild since the Park finish looked new. But still a great gun.

rondog
09-17-2013, 12:53 AM
I have a nice '43 Remington 03A3 that I traded for, and it shoots a helluva lot better than I was expecting it to! I hesitated to make the trade, I really liked the pistol I traded, but I'm very happy with the rifle I got. It even seems to be reasonably correct, near as I can tell.

marvelshooter
09-17-2013, 07:05 AM
I have a 3.5 million s/n (1944 ?) '03A3 that is one of my favorite fun guns. I shoot a cast 180 grain GC boolit over 16 grains of 2400 with nearly no recoil. I have not tried M2 ball yet.

rmcc
09-17-2013, 02:08 PM
Mine is a '43 too, with a '44 2 groove barrel. I went to the range Sunday, I was the only one there so I set up 2 targets, one for rapid and one for slow (both prone). Well.... I filed too much on the sight blade, shot in the top 8 ring on an SR1 tatget with the rear all the way down!! Got new sight blade Monday so will be going back to the range soon to try again. Went ahead and shot the M1 while I was there, I hated too do it but since I was there......Very relaxing and a lot of FUN!! I too traded a pistol for mine , a SIG 228 I really liked but do not regret it for a minute!!

rmcc

Shooter6br
09-17-2013, 03:08 PM
16 g 2400 with Lyman clone 314299 in an American Enfield with orginal barrel 5 grove

millerwb
09-19-2013, 09:24 PM
Mine is a 9-43 barrel. Serial #4.1 million. Looks to have original hooded sight on the front.