PDA

View Full Version : Steel frame vs aluminum frame commander

crabo
10-24-2007, 01:09 AM
The steel framed commander weighs about 6 more ounces than the aluminum one. Anyone carried both and have an opinion on how big a difference the weight makes over a period of hours?

I really wanted my next 1911 to be an STI lightweight commander, but they don't make an aluminum framed gun. The next choice would be a Kimber, but I really want an STI.

Any opinions? I also plan on shooting this gun a lot. I had a Para Ordinance frame built into a IPSC gun, but it is way to heavy, especially when it is loaded with 17 rounds of .45 acp. (14 in mag with a 2 round baseplate)

Thanks,

Crabo

redneckdan
10-24-2007, 10:24 AM
if the gun is going to be fired a lot I would look prefer steel frames. if you just have to have an alloy frame, get a spring-co kit for the gun, it really cuts down on the frame battering..

testhop
10-24-2007, 10:40 AM
ok i may be old fashion but i would take the steel commander
if you need to use it the weight is no importanseand if you need more than 6 rounds you need to work on your shooting skills

shoot em in the left eye it spoils there aim

Lloyd Smale
10-24-2007, 11:47 AM
Ill be a lttle different. I have both and when i grab one to carry its almost allways the alloyed framed one. It does make a difference in comfort to me. As to durablilty my alloy kimber has seen 10s of thousands of rounds and doesnt show wear.

9.3X62AL
10-24-2007, 12:12 PM
This doesn't apply to 1911A1-series pistols directly.........but from what I've seen the wear and tear/battering issue on aluminum or polymer frames on service sidearms is largely mythical, at least as far as SIG-Sauer, S&W, Glock, and H&K pistols are concerned. All will run fine if the frames crack--a thing which is EXTREMELY rare, all will replace the frame at zero cost if the crack occurs. There is a CONSIDERABLE weight and heft difference between a steel and aluminum receiver, and if the sidearm is to be carried all day, it makes quite a difference. My only caution regarding aluminum frame/stainless steel slide interface--they can gall, so use GOOD lubrication on the slide rails. Break-Free CLP is what FBI recommends currently, and if it can be found they (and I) prefer RIG +P, which is specifically designed to address that quirk.

Kraschenbirn
10-24-2007, 01:43 PM
I've owned my Series 70 lightweight Commander (.45 ACP) since around 1975 and have fired several thousand rounds of everything from G.I. hardball to paper-punching loads that barely cycle the slide...all with no apparently significant frame wear. Only modification I might recommend is to install a recoil spring guide if the piece doesn't already have one.

Bill

22cf45
10-24-2007, 03:30 PM
Perhaps I'm old fashioned but I would always go to the steel version particularly since you stated that you intend to fire it a lot and especially if you intend to shoot hot loads. How about an officers model? Wouldn't that save a little weight?

Several others have recommended the alloy frame and since they appear to have shot them considerably also, it might be a choice. If you go the alloy route, I would always make certain that I had the correct weight recoil spring installed so the frame doesn't bang into the frame. I would pass on the recoil spring guide.
Phil

Adam10mm
10-24-2007, 04:01 PM
Come on Dan. My aluminum 10mm Pro Carry is a blast to shoot.:)

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=freakshow10mm

BD
10-24-2007, 05:35 PM
In the circumstances when I can carry a 1911 I'm carrying an alloy framed kimber 4" Kimber Pro-Tactical, ( a pro carry that came with a two tone color scheme and a mag well). I took the mag well off and bobtailed the frame. To me there is a significant comfort difference between the bobbed alloy frame gun and the steel gun I had been carrying. I shoot a match with the 4" gun from time to time and probably have 5,000 - 6,000 rounds through it.

I still put most of the milage on my steel frame gun as springs for it last much longer, and I prefer to keep the carry gun on the lighter side of the round count where you know things are going to wear out and break. The alloy guns are plenty strong and will last your lifetime if treated with respect and the springs are replaced on time. However, if you're going to put a gazillion rounds down range buy a steel frame 5" gun to do it with. The 4" springs last about 800 rounds, have no room for a buffer and go way south fast when they go. The 5" springs can last 3,000 to 4,000 rounds, can be used with a buffer for target shooting, and have a much more gradual decline.
BD

Adam10mm
10-24-2007, 07:07 PM
My Pro Carry 10mm is waiting on a bobtail job.

35remington
10-24-2007, 07:43 PM
Problem I have with alloy frame 1911's is that the frame ramp can be scored by some of the sharper edged hollowpoints, and some brand magazine followers can peck into the frame ramp on the last round from the magazine, causing some divots.

Pick a follower design that doesn't nosedive into the ramp and use smoothly contoured ammo and those complaints go away.

MtGun44
10-25-2007, 12:30 AM
IMHO, you need as light a gun as you can find to avoid the
eventual 'leave it at home'-itis that will set in.

My LTWT stainless Commander is my primary carry gun when
I can dress to cover it. Sometimes this isn't feasible.

Some folks are not too affected by weight, but I think that over
the long haul you will be happy to be shed of the wt and
for a primarily carry gun, any minor wear issues (and I have
never seen any in mine) will not be a real issue.

I also have an LTWT Officers ACP and have competed with both
the Officers and the Commander in IPSC competitions many
times. It is very clear that the LTWT Commander is only slightly
less "shootable" than a full sized 5" steel 1911, but that the
LTWT Officers ACP causes a really substantial loss in performance,
both accuracy and speed. Shot sequences that "just work" with
the steel 5" and the ltwt Commander are challenging with the
ltwt Officers. Hits are harder to make and notable slower.

I really feel like the LTWT Commander is the 'sweet spot' for
a 1911 carry gun.

Bill

BD
10-25-2007, 10:32 AM
MtGun,
I went down a very similar path to arrive at the 4" Bobtail for carry. In the local, (unsanctioned by anyone), action pistol matches in Maine we had a "Snubby" class. To shoot "snubby" you had to be using a barrel 3" or under. The Ultra Carry's would clean up, and I'd shoot my 3" carry gun nearly every match. My scores were always at least 20% worse than my scores with the 5" gun, and on long range stages even worse than that. Once I started shooting the 4" gun I found my scores to be only slightly slower than the 5" scores, and in "up close and personal" stages they were often better. That made the decision clear to me. With the grip bobtailed it hides as well as the 3" gun and has an extra round in the mag.
BD

Char-Gar
10-25-2007, 10:44 AM
I have always liked the notion of a LW Colt Commander and have owned four of them over the past 40 years. The reality has not lived up to the notion. I have yet to own one that was 100% reliable. I also cracked the frame on one.

As much as I like the notion of a LW Commander, I stick with steel frame 1911s. I have one Colt GM and two Norinco 1911A1s. Good pistols all.

THEN... I discovered the Sig P220! It is a light as a LW Commander, accurate as all get out, 100% reliable and has more lives than a cat. It lacks the tradition and panache of a 1911 design, but it is a superior fighting pistol and that is what really counts.

Dale53
10-25-2007, 06:37 PM
I had lightweight commander (an early original Colt) for many years. I had done a trigger job, ambi safety, and a good set of high visibility sights. I also had a couple of tricked out full size 1911's for IPSC use.

Finally, this year I had a good offer to trade the Commander for a Kimber CDP II Ultra Carry (3"). I made the trade and have been VERY happy. I actually shoot the Kimber better than I did the Commander (go figure). 95's slowfire on the 25 yard timed fire target are common. I can also double tap with accuracy at combat ranges.

One sure thing, it carries a heck of a lot better than my full size 1911 (i have about 100,000 hardball equivalent cast loads through that wonderful piece).

I take pains to properly lube my alloy frame autos and have no fears about them failing from wear (heck, if they did, I'd just replace them:mrgreen:).

Alloy frames, carry a lot and shoot a little. Steel frames, carry seldom and shoot a lot...:drinks:

Dale53

9.3X62AL
10-26-2007, 10:02 AM
I guess platform total weight is a relative thing. I remarked last night in the chat room about how heavy the Redhawk 5.5" 44 Magnum is to carry around........but when I used the revo to cover our retreat from the berry patch of an indignant black bear, I didn't really notice the weight.

Funny how that works.

22cf45
10-26-2007, 10:37 AM
Crabo
I think Dale53 said it all when he said "Alloy frames, carry a lot and shoot a little. Steel frames, carry seldom and shoot a lot..." This was also the backbone of my previous post when you stated that you intended to shoot the pistol a lot.
Phil

Adam10mm
10-26-2007, 11:11 AM
I guess platform total weight is a relative thing. I remarked last night in the chat room about how heavy the Redhawk 5.5" 44 Magnum is to carry around........but when I used the revo to cover our retreat from the berry patch of an indignant black bear, I didn't really notice the weight.

Funny how that works.

Yup. Amazing what Pucker Factor can cover up.

Dale53
10-26-2007, 03:25 PM
I have had some bear experience my self a couple of times. One time I got treed by a mother bear and two cubs for six hours (in the top bunk of a three walled shelter). I promised the Man up there that I would NEVER put myself in that position again without a firearm. It has been MANY years since then and I have faithfully kept that promise (regardless of where I am).

Dale53

MtGun44
10-27-2007, 02:04 AM
I spent some time in Alaska many years ago, amongst the big
griz. About the third day of seeing big griz ripping up the ground
digging out ground squirrels or stripping whole blueberry patches
when you are on tussocked tundra with no tree taller than 7 ft
for many miles, you get religion. I realized that the only reason
that the bears were not eating me or my wife or friends was
that THEY didn't choose to. Really didn't like the feeling, AT
ALL ! I wanted to at least have some sort of option.

A week later, backpacking in another area in 10 ft tall super dense
willows that you could see about 6 ft in, we walked right onto
a recent caribou kill. Scared the crap out of me knowing we
may have just scared the bear off of it, and the only way out
at ALL was down this narrow path thru the willows with no
other possible passage, and four people with full packs. Ran
into no bear, but could smell him. Pucker factor of about 9.5
on a scale of 10. :shock:

Then and there I vowed never to be in bear country unarmed
again, PERIOD. That was in '78 and I have kept that vow.
Either my 329 or 629 Mountain Gun are always with me when
hiking in bear country.

Bill