PDA

View Full Version : I would like a summer home in Maine

Just Duke
09-08-2013, 02:27 PM
Labsta
Only I don't have a big enough kettle.

http://i921.photobucket.com/albums/ad54/LEVERACTIONSHOOTERS/SCABBARDS/0212-GIANT-LOBSTER-MAINE_full_600.jpg~original (http://s921.photobucket.com/user/LEVERACTIONSHOOTERS/media/SCABBARDS/0212-GIANT-LOBSTER-MAINE_full_600.jpg.html)

crowbuster
09-08-2013, 09:16 PM
Wow, I'm headin up there the 14th on a bear hunt and plan to partake in this particular local cuisine

Finster101
09-08-2013, 09:21 PM
Seems a shame to kill a critter that has lived that long. Wouldn't keeping it in the gene pool be better?

rbertalotto
09-08-2013, 09:26 PM
Might as well boil a tire......Those big ones are terrible eating..........You want the nice 1.5 - 2 pounders.

BTW, Summer in Maine is three weeks of bad snowmobiling!...........................[smilie=s:

nhrifle
09-08-2013, 10:36 PM
Actually, correctly said it is "Lohbstah". Either way I don't eat those critters but folks sure do seem to make a fuss about em!

Just Duke
09-08-2013, 11:44 PM
Wow, I'm headin up there the 14th on a bear hunt and plan to partake in this particular local cuisine

$10.00 "Lohbstah" dinah's on the coast of Maine

nhrifle
09-09-2013, 12:25 AM
Once you find your new home, make your way to Newick's Restaurant just over the border in New Hampshire. Order the fisherman's feast. just about 4 pounds of deep fried goodness..........mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm............

waksupi
09-09-2013, 02:34 AM
They don't live forever. I imagine that one is nearing it's final season, one way or the other.

If he hasn't passed on his genes by now, he's a gay lobster!

Just Duke
09-09-2013, 06:20 AM
Actually, correctly said it is "Lohbstah". Either way I don't eat those critters but folks sure do seem to make a fuss about em!

Nuhimpcha! We love the place!
The tax people would love us too. http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/463-Winter-St-Claremont-NH-03743/2125771071_zpid/
96 Acre Tudor home begging to be filled with period furniture I build. And a Moose lottery!!!!
This place we have on our watch list is $11,000 a year in taxes. We don't love the tax man as much as he would love us.
Not real good place for a retired couple like us.
We just go back and look at the pictures. lol
There big rant is "hey it goes to the schools" I have no children.......... I could send my Shih Tzu though.

reloader28
09-09-2013, 09:28 AM
Holy Moly!!!
Thats a big *** crawdad!!

Doc_Stihl
09-09-2013, 09:37 AM
Duke, We have property taxes like that because we don't have sales or wage income taxes.

Just Duke
09-09-2013, 09:45 AM
Duke, We have property taxes like that because we don't have sales or wage income taxes.

Very much aware of that sir. Respectfully, that's great for a working fella and a consumer.
Just about everything we purchase 99.99999 percent comes to the door via UPS or USPS so that would applicable to us.
I still like NH though.

Just Duke
09-09-2013, 09:57 AM
OMG!!! I WAS WRONG ON THE TAXES.
Just for kicks I called the Realtor and they said it was $18,000 A YEAR! OUCH!

That's two house payments if I had to finance something.

Just Duke
09-09-2013, 10:02 AM
So who cooks Lobster here?

Uncle Jim
09-09-2013, 10:15 AM
Once a year I go to Maine to visit my family. When I leave for Home in Minnesota I buy 18-25 live lobsters to take home with me. When I get to Minnesota I go straight to my Nephew's house where we cook them up for a "Lobster feed"!

Doc_Stihl
09-09-2013, 10:34 AM
We have lobster a few times a year. My wife loves em. I'm not a big fan. They go on sale a few times a year and at $3-$4 a pound it's not a bad way to treat ourselves.

nhrifle
09-09-2013, 10:45 AM
There is property available cheeeeeep up north in the Berlin/Gorham area. The paper mills all shut down and most everyone moved away and you can get a nice place for a song. Beautiful country, great moose and deer hunting, and plenty of fishing. Take Route 16 north to Errol and you will find L.L. Cote which used to be a little gun shop. They expanded and it's now a shooter and hunter's paradise. I spend hours just walking around every time I am there. The stuffed polar bear is not to be missed! Great people running the place too.

Just Duke
09-09-2013, 11:22 AM
There is property available cheeeeeep up north in the Berlin/Gorham area. The paper mills all shut down and most everyone moved away and you can get a nice place for a song. Beautiful country, great moose and deer hunting, and plenty of fishing. Take Route 16 north to Errol and you will find L.L. Cote which used to be a little gun shop. They expanded and it's now a shooter and hunter's paradise. I spend hours just walking around every time I am there. The stuffed polar bear is not to be missed! Great people running the place too.

That's really nice up that way. http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/62-Elm-St_Lancaster_NH_03584_M34988-85322?row=6
Only it's a half acre.

Doc_Stihl
09-09-2013, 11:31 AM
Here's one to look into Duke...
http://boston.cbslocal.com/2013/07/20/feds-warn-bidders-of-possible-land-mines-on-nh-property-ahead-of-auction/

Just Duke
09-09-2013, 11:41 AM
Here's one to look into Duke...
http://boston.cbslocal.com/2013/07/20/feds-warn-bidders-of-possible-land-mines-on-nh-property-ahead-of-auction/

That's not the state were looking to live in. ;)

nhrifle
09-10-2013, 01:26 AM
Lancaster is a nice town. Lived about a half hour north of there in Colebrook, about close enough to the border I could have thrown a rock into Canada. Not quite that close, but almost. And just a bit south in Whitefield is another awesome gun shop!

Just Duke
09-10-2013, 01:47 AM
Lancaster is a nice town. Lived about a half hour north of there in Colebrook, about close enough to the border I could have thrown a rock into Canada. Not quite that close, but almost. And just a bit south in Whitefield is another awesome gun shop!

Yea but can I walk to the ocean from there? ;)

Just Duke
09-10-2013, 01:50 AM
The wife just said one could send a whole family to a private school for $18,000 a year.

gandydancer
09-10-2013, 02:08 AM
I believe if you get caught with a LOBSTA that big. the state of Maine will give you a place to stay the year round. and with no cost to you.

Labsta
Only I don't have a big enough kettle.

http://i921.photobucket.com/albums/ad54/LEVERACTIONSHOOTERS/SCABBARDS/0212-GIANT-LOBSTER-MAINE_full_600.jpg~original (http://s921.photobucket.com/user/LEVERACTIONSHOOTERS/media/SCABBARDS/0212-GIANT-LOBSTER-MAINE_full_600.jpg.html)

Just Duke
09-10-2013, 02:29 AM
I believe if you get caught with a LOBSTA that big. the state of Maine will give you a place to stay the year round. and with no cost to you.

Naa......

Swamp Man
09-10-2013, 04:59 AM
I'm with you on that one. I use crawdads for bait not to eat and those suckers are just big saltwater crawdads.

bdicki
09-10-2013, 06:51 AM
Lobster Measurement
Title 12, Section 6431

Fig. 12. Measuring a lobster correctlyLobsters must be measured with a special double-sided gauge to make sure that they are “keepers”. You may purchase a gauge from your local fishing supply store. A legal lobster in the State of Maine has a carapace or body shell length that measures between 3 ¼ inches and 5 inches. The measurement is made between the extreme rear of the eye socket to the end of the carapace.
• Minimum lobster size has a carapace or body shell length of 3 ¼ inches.
• Maximum lobster size has a carapace or body shell length of 5 inches.
• Lobsters are measured from the extreme rear of the eye socket, along a line parallel to the center line of the body shell, to the rear end of the body shell. In order to be a “keeper”, this length must be at least 3 ¼ inches but no longer than 5 inches.

Lobster measurement is determined by the State of Maine's double-sided gauge.

Note: A common error made by novice lobstermen is to measure over the horn or rostrum located above the eye socket. Make certain that your measure is in the extreme rear of the eye socket and below the horn.

Exception: No violation shall occur if the illegal lobster is immediately liberated alive into the coastal waters.

Penalty: For oversized or undersized lobsters a fine of $500 for each violation and, in addition, a fine of $100 for each lobster involved, up to and including the first 5, and a fine of $200 for each lobster in excess of 5, or, if the number of lobsters cannot be determined, a fine of not less than $1,000 or more than $5,000. A court may not suspend a fine imposed under this section.

Mutilation: It shall be unlawful to possess any lobster, or part thereof, which is mutilated in a manner which makes accurate measurement impossible.

nhrifle
09-10-2013, 10:53 AM
Why yes, yes you can! Pack a lunch and something to drink, you will have a nice LONG walk through some great country, and the sea water will feel great on your sore feet when you get there.

Just Duke
09-10-2013, 11:03 AM
Lobster Measurement
Title 12, Section 6431

Fig. 12. Measuring a lobster correctlyLobsters must be measured with a special double-sided gauge to make sure that they are “keepers”. You may purchase a gauge from your local fishing supply store. A legal lobster in the State of Maine has a carapace or body shell length that measures between 3 ¼ inches and 5 inches. The measurement is made between the extreme rear of the eye socket to the end of the carapace.
• Minimum lobster size has a carapace or body shell length of 3 ¼ inches.
• Maximum lobster size has a carapace or body shell length of 5 inches.
• Lobsters are measured from the extreme rear of the eye socket, along a line parallel to the center line of the body shell, to the rear end of the body shell. In order to be a “keeper”, this length must be at least 3 ¼ inches but no longer than 5 inches.

Lobster measurement is determined by the State of Maine's double-sided gauge.

Note: A common error made by novice lobstermen is to measure over the horn or rostrum located above the eye socket. Make certain that your measure is in the extreme rear of the eye socket and below the horn.

Exception: No violation shall occur if the illegal lobster is immediately liberated alive into the coastal waters.

Penalty: For oversized or undersized lobsters a fine of $500 for each violation and, in addition, a fine of $100 for each lobster involved, up to and including the first 5, and a fine of $200 for each lobster in excess of 5, or, if the number of lobsters cannot be determined, a fine of not less than $1,000 or more than $5,000. A court may not suspend a fine imposed under this section.

Mutilation: It shall be unlawful to possess any lobster, or part thereof, which is mutilated in a manner which makes accurate measurement impossible.

That's good to know. Thanks.
Actually I was planning on someone else catching and cooking them and possibly wifey cooking them. ;)
Also patronizing the local labsta restaurants on the coast.

Just Duke
09-10-2013, 11:04 AM
Why yes, yes you can! Pack a lunch and something to drink, you will have a nice LONG walk through some great country, and the sea water will feel great on your sore feet when you get there.

Funny. :bigsmyl2:

Just Duke
09-10-2013, 11:12 AM
nhrifle, having you ever drawn for moose up your way?

nhrifle
09-11-2013, 12:43 AM
Ya know Duke, I have seen plenty of moose in my time here and some are just plain awe inspiring to watch. I've also eaten plenty of them, and that is some of the finest meat that can be taken out of the northeast woods. Call me lazy (I wouldn't blame you if you do!!), but I have never had any great burning desire to haul an animal weighing over 1000 pounds to where I can clean and dress it. I have friends who shoot them and I get to share in their harvest. If you want to hunt them, there are plenty to be taken. The folks who live in the north woods see them as pests, as they damage trees and lay waste to gardens. On any given summer night, take a trip north on Route 3 out of Pittsburg and head toward Canada. It's known as Moose Alley, and a couple dozen sightings inside an hour is easy to come by. Long story short, plenty of hunting opportunity, and you get to do it while enjoying God's finest artwork.

Capt. Methane
10-15-2013, 05:22 AM
If you're serious about summering in ME I know where you might be able to get a place. It's right on the Atlantic Hiway (Rt 1) between Warren and Cushing. You can't walk to the water but it's not far. On about half acre, great basement for a reloading room/workshop...

wch
10-15-2013, 08:55 AM
"Maine State Motto: Cold, But Damp!"