PDA

View Full Version : 22 mag centerfire

oldred
09-08-2013, 02:17 PM
Someone help me out here, there is/was a centerfire version of the 22 mag but the name of that round escapes me at the moment. Anyone remember what it's called and if there is any brass still available for such a round?

oldred
09-08-2013, 02:25 PM
Ok it finally came to me after I posted, it's the 22 Cooper centerfire. Still if anyone has any info on this very interesting round I would appreciate sharing it.

starmac
09-08-2013, 02:47 PM
Get ahold of bullshop, he has two that I would dearly love to have, a cooper bolt and a single six with stag handles he had converted. I think these would be the berries, just couldn't afford them when he decided to sell. I did get to see them and drool a little before he left Alaska.lol

Swamp Man
09-08-2013, 02:53 PM
Older "RMC" may be able to make some brass for them.

starmac
09-08-2013, 03:06 PM
If you have any luck with the search feature, Bullshop has mentioned on here a few times where he got his brass.

oldred
09-08-2013, 03:07 PM
I have been researching this round for the last couple of hours and it would seem maybe I am at least 3 to 4 years too late on this one, evidently the only brass in existence is in the possession of a very few happy owners! I found dies and other items related to this round ($$$$$$!) but no brass and no idea of where to find any, it's a shame really since this seems like such a good idea. But then maybe not because it's appeal must have been very limited and not enough interest was generated to keep the brass available, I sure would like to get my grubby paws on a few hundred rounds however!

oldred
09-08-2013, 03:12 PM
If you have any luck with the search feature,

I have given up on the useless search feature here as there just doesn't seem to be any sense to be made of it, nothing seems in order and try as I might it seems posting dates and other search items do not appear in any particular order. Basically "search" has been simply an exercise in frustration every time I have tried to use it.

starmac
09-08-2013, 03:24 PM
He mentions where he got his brass in this thread.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?12805-Bullshop-22-CCM

As far as I know he didn't sell his pair of guns, and they came with a lot of brass and everything else one would need. He may have taken them off the market though, when he sold enough prized possessions to do what he needed.

dale2242
09-09-2013, 08:13 AM
Try this link http://ammoguide.com/cgi-bin/ai.cgi?sn=fhRIvqmZxI&catid=408.....dale

Baja_Traveler
09-09-2013, 10:16 AM
Try this link http://ammoguide.com/cgi-bin/ai.cgi?sn=fhRIvqmZxI&catid=408.....dale

Link just takes you to an expired login page...

dakotashooter2
09-09-2013, 04:12 PM
Or ahead of the game if the price of .22 doesn't eventually go down............and your cartridge gets reserected...........

oldred
09-09-2013, 04:33 PM
A couple of days ago I remembered this round and got to thinking about just how neat it would be to have a reloadable 22 magnum but after a bit of research I am finding I am a few years too late for this one. This is what I am finding, it seems as if it got off to a very rocky start with lack of case availability and poor quality plus high prices for what was available. By the time decent cases became available apparently the damage was done and with relatively cheap RF ammo out there and a reputation for components being of poor quality and hard to find it would seem interest evaporated and the idea just faded away. As much as I would like to have a 22 CCM set-up with cases almost non-existent and loading dies approaching $200 for a set I am thinking this is an idea best just forgotten.

mroliver77
09-09-2013, 08:01 PM
I tried putting a RF NEF barrel on a CF action. A little tweaking is all it takes. So all I needed was cases. I looked and scrounged but for the price it was not worth it.

There was a company making CF cases for the 5mm Rem(5mm Craig) and I wrote to the guy telling him I wanted some before they were necked down. Well they were outside contour turned on a screw machine and the inside was straight! He thought he had a deal for regular cases set up but it fell through. If I ever get my lathe peculating I will try to make some.

Dies should be straightforward to make or remodel from others.
J

lksmith
09-09-2013, 10:26 PM
22 hornet could be loaded to 22 mag levels and is centerfire

mroliver77
09-10-2013, 09:01 AM
22 hornet could be loaded to 22 mag levels and is centerfire
Sure, and they are a "blast" that way. No excuse for a new gun that way. ;)
J

oldred
09-10-2013, 09:25 AM
If I ever get my lathe peculating I will try to make some.

Dies should be straightforward to make or remodel from others.
J

I could make the cases in that manner I suppose, after all I built the rifle itself from scratch from raw stock, but that's more trouble for brass than I would want to go to besides that's they way the first CCM brass was made and almost all of it split on the first firing. I would think that maybe if the right alloy was used and maybe annealed/tempered properly it might work but again lathe turned brass that had a reputation for splitting may very well have been the major reason this round never caught on in the first place. Like I said it probably could be done but it just seems like way too much trouble for so little gain.

mroliver77
09-10-2013, 08:15 PM
oldred,
Your talking to a guy that would spend 4 hours fixing a $10 toaster! lol
J

MarkP
09-10-2013, 08:52 PM
I think the first 22 CCM's were lathe turned from solid stock and the drawn cases were made by Fiocchi.

What about the 5.7 x 28 or 4.6 x 30 mm necked to .224? I think I saw bolts for the Rem 700 with 5.7 x 28 bolt face at Pacific Tool & Gauge.

mroliver77
09-10-2013, 09:00 PM
I liked the Cooper as I could use the same barrel for rim fire or center fire by putting it on one frame or the other on my H&R/NEF single shot.
J

Oreo
09-11-2013, 12:45 AM
Why not just learn / develop a method to reload the 22wsm rimfire cases? It can be done. There was a good thread a while ago about DIY priming compound with some very successful results. Before center fire cartridges were invented rimfire cases were reloaded. We just need to relearn how.

oldred
09-11-2013, 09:33 AM
I just had the apparently fanciful idea that I could buy cases for this round even if they were a bit expensive and/or hard to find but what I found is that it's far worse than that! It would seem that there is nothing left of the concept but the name and the idea and it would be a "do it from scratch" endeavor, I have no interest in going that far with it and reloading RF cases just wouldn't be the same or at least for me just not worth the trouble.