PDA

View Full Version : 35 Remington 336

DeanWinchester
09-08-2013, 01:40 PM
I've been wanting a 35 cal something for a while now. I've got dies and brass for 357 Herrett and .358 Winchester in anticipation of actually owning one. Well,I happened upon a nice clean Marlin 336 in 35 Remington and it followed me home. I traded for it and I figure I got about $300 in it at the most. It's VERY clean with about 95% blueing. The serial number starts with a K and I understand tht means its around 1953. Ballard rifling too, which is NICE. Don't wanna fight micro groove.

You can't make 35 brass from 308 like a 358 so I'm a little bummed about that but I don't see any MAJOR difference in cast load performance between the two. Reckon I did alright? I'm going to have to trade for a set of dies and an Mdie but at least I already have three different molds for it. A 200g Rn and a pair of 200g RNFP. Not to mention the 38 cal molds I have for handgun that would make great plinker boolits.

I'll post up a trade in the classifieds soon as I work up so e trade goods but if anyone has an extra set of dies and a neck expander, pm me please.

Any thoughts on the rifle welcome. I'll get some pics up soon.

DeanWinchester
09-08-2013, 02:47 PM
http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd371/Reloadingfool/DSC03089_zps5628f927.jpg

Fit and finish on this is as good as any Marlin Ive seen. All the Marlins Ive seen haven't had very good fitting at all but this is particularly good.

Bore sparkles with sharp rifling. THe guy I got it from said it isn't totally original as the sling swivels are aftermarket and the rear sight is Marble buckhorn. Who cares, I shoot, I dont collect. I really like the wide beaver tail shape of the fore arm. Why dont they do that anymore?

starmac
09-08-2013, 02:49 PM
In my way of thinking, that is what it was built for. Nice gun by the way.

TXGunNut
09-08-2013, 03:23 PM
You did well, IMHO. Fine looking rifle, obviously well taken care of. I lucked into a nice later production 336 awhile back and am very pleased with it. 358 may be easier to find/make brass for but I'd rather have the 336 in 35 Rem. Brass is available from Winchester but if you find some RP that's what I prefer, WW is plenty good, tho.
I used the expander from a 38-357 die set until I got a suitable M-type expander made, die was a little short but it worked. Good luck on the die quest.

Salmoneye
09-08-2013, 04:49 PM
You can't make 35 brass from 308 like a 358 so I'm a little bummed

Yes you can...

It's just a little more work...

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?23516-35-Remington-brass-buy-or-re-form&p=320637&viewfull=1#post320637

smkummer
09-08-2013, 06:18 PM
That is one sweet rifle and do it right by finding the correct marked brass, it may take a little effort right now but you will enjoy it better not having to make the other brass work. About the time you get the modified brass to work, you will stumble on some correct factory brass. Or just sell the rifle to me for what you paid for it!

DeanWinchester
09-08-2013, 06:51 PM
I hope this thing shoots. I've been molesting it all afternoon. It's balanced well.
I've had several '94's but this is my first marlin. I've been hesitant to try a marlin because almost all the ones I've seen around here were late model and micro groove. They sure weren't fitted as well as this one. That's why I jumped on it even though I wasn't planning on gettin into 35 Remington.

I've found some factory brass for sale in a few places. I've got a box of factory ammo. I'm going to just use those twenty pcs to develop a load and see how we get along.
I've got 3lbs of AA2015 and that's what I'm going to run with. I've got good data for it and its recently became my new do-all rifle powder.

I have an RCBS 200g flat point gc mold, a Lyman 358413 200g rngc, a couple of Keith style plain base 158g, RCBS 158g pbrn, and a Lee flat point gc 158g
I'll start with the RCBS flat point, it's the coolest looking boolit, LOL.

All I've read says these guys are very cast friendly. Anything I should know about them before I dive in?

nekshot
09-08-2013, 06:55 PM
Yes, that gun does the same as good pipe tobacco in a room, it smells good. Nice gun. When I was soul searching if to ream a barrel with a 35 remmy or a 358 I ran across a thread from a fellow who had a marlin guide gun in 35 remmy and took to elk with it. He was using rcbs200 cast hard and was pushing the envelope a little on the load but the one was ar around 235 yards and the other 250. They used a range finder and both shots were pass thru's with a dead elk. It was his only high power and he knew his gun and practiced alot. I for one respect the 35 remington.

starmac
09-08-2013, 07:02 PM
Beware the man with one gun, is an old saying, and it doesn't really matter what gun it is. lol
I didn't realize marlin mad a 35 rem guide gun.

Lefty SRH
09-08-2013, 08:17 PM
WOW, nice score DW! I really enjoy my 35 Remmy 336, mine is a 77 model. I'd like to find another one. They are fun to shoot and load for. I plan to try some 358311's in mine soon along with some Trail Boss for plinkin and fun.
Dean, keep checking Buffalo Arms Company for Remington stamped brass. They will eventually get it back in stock. Then again, you can always use Winchester brass also. The cool/good thing is .35 Remmy is low pressure cartridge so the brass last a LONG time. I have yet to split one of mine yet and I can't tell you how many times I've loaded the same box of 50.

TXGunNut
09-08-2013, 08:50 PM
Beware the man with one gun, is an old saying, and it doesn't really matter what gun it is. lol
I didn't realize marlin mad a 35 rem guide gun.

Yes, I think there was another chambering as well. 45-70, 450 Marlin, 35 Rem...can't recall the other but a member here had a pic of it along with a 45/70 and the 35 Rem, IIRC.

thebigmac
09-08-2013, 08:53 PM
Yes, I think there was another chambering as well. 45-70, 450 Marlin, 35 Rem...can't recall the other but a member here had a pic of it along with a 45/70 and the 35 Rem, IIRC.

Dean; Check your PM's.

Mk42gunner
09-08-2013, 09:28 PM

They made one in .444 Marlin also. I don't think they called them all guide guns, but they were all on the same principal-- short barrels and at least the first ones were ported.

The one that I had my hands on in the local gun shop had a forearm that felt like a 2x4, it made the 1950's perch belly forearms feel like a splinter.

To Dean, I think you did well in this day and age to get that carbine for $300.00, trading or not. I have a 1950 336A that makes all the new ones I see feel like they are full of sand.

Robert

DeanWinchester
09-08-2013, 09:36 PM
I understand the sand comment. I've seen several that,dang near grind open and close.
This one awfully smooth. Not perfect but nice. Opening it and looking in, I see a little crud. I'm betting a full tear down, through enema, and a good grease/oiling would make it even better. Sure wont hurt anything.

AnnieOakley
09-08-2013, 10:08 PM
Hey DeanWinchester, last year we were in Nashville and headed west and stopped at all the gun stores we could find. We could not find one .35 Remington lever in middle TN. Almost a year later we found a Savage 99 in Clarksville, my husband was quite thrilled. That was his Christmas present last year.

We were curious about where you found your Marlin? We saw some 30/30's in White Bluff, TN on our journey. We are from Western Kentucky, by the way. We like to look at gun stores anytime we travel to Nashville or the surrounding area (or anywhere for that matter).

C. Latch
09-08-2013, 10:18 PM
That is a beautiful rifle and $300 is a steal.

Congratulations.

C. Latch
09-08-2013, 10:20 PM
Annie Oakley,

You'll notice that I live in Mississippi but have ties to middle TN. There's a place between Columbia and I-65 exit 46 called Steve's, they used to have a lot of stuff. Haven't had time to stop in there lately; every time I go by there I'm in a hurry.

TXGunNut
09-08-2013, 11:34 PM
I understand the sand comment. I've seen several that,dang near grind open and close.
This one awfully smooth. Not perfect but nice. Opening it and looking in, I see a little crud. I'm betting a full tear down, through enema, and a good grease/oiling would make it even better. Sure wont hurt anything.

The 2008 vintage 30-30 I lucked into yesterday is smooth and tight, am very pleased with it. Last 336 was very similar, a little shooting and it was very smooth and the action lightened up a bit.
I suspect a 60 yr old gun just needs some old oil washed out and some fresh oil applied. Then you'll understand that they just don't build them that way any more, never did. Good leverguns just get better with age.

old beekeeper
09-09-2013, 12:15 AM
You are going to love the 35 remington. My 336 shoots everything from the Lee 125 gr rnfp and Lee's 158 gr RNFP, but it loves the Ranchdog 175 grain TL bullet. I shoot it without gas checks at low velocity and it is very accurate, easy on the shoulder. Next to my Marlin 1894 .357 mag, this is my favorite gun. Brass can be a bit hard to find but it is available, Remington still makes it as well as Winchester, they are just not making it now. I went to Lynchburg, VA this weekend to visit my son and today I visited a flea market, found a guy with a plastic bin full of .35's, gave him $15 and when I got home and counted it, there were over 400 pieces of brass, some of it looked new, most was probably only once fired, so I now have an inventory of about 2000 cases. Couldn't get over the luck. You might try some of the yard sales and flea markets, maybe lady luck will smile on you. Told a buddy about it and he suggested I buy a bunch of lottery tickets while my luck was still hot. Wish you luck in finding some brass, but don't let it discourage you. Just keep looking.

Beekeeper

wrench man
09-09-2013, 12:57 AM
Fit and finish on this is as good as any Marlin Ive seen. All the Marlins Ive seen haven't had very good fitting at all but this is particularly good.

You must have been looking at the recently manufactured Remlins!??
35 Remington brass is available, Cabela's had it hanging on the rack up until about a week ago?, the LGS has several hundred on the shelf, it was/is all Remington, I prefer the WW myself.
I have never given one thought to running a Pb Boolit down the tube?, mines a '50 (G) 336A, a full charge of H335 pushing a 200grn Core-Lokt hits like Thor's Hammer!, the last 5 shot group I did was just over an inch off the hood of my Jeep, good nuf for a hunt'n gun!

DeanWinchester
09-09-2013, 11:22 AM
My biggest beef with this rifle is not being able to mount an optic on it. My eyes suck and irons are only good out to 50 yards. Past that and I'm fairly well screwed.
I sure hate the idea of drilling and tapping this rifle.

357Mag
09-09-2013, 12:56 PM
Dean, Lefty -

.35 Remington is a " low pressure " cartridge.... if you load it that way.

With regards,
357Mag

DeanWinchester
09-09-2013, 02:40 PM
Receiver sight, got it. That's a great idea. Reckon midway will have that....

Djones
09-09-2013, 03:09 PM
Congrats. The older Marlins have great wood. I have a 1990 336 in 35 rem and love it. I dont have as nice of wood as yours though.

Lefty SRH
09-09-2013, 06:20 PM

I put a Williams top mounting receiver sight on mine and I really like it. I went with the target knob version. Brownells has them, go ahead and get a couple different size apertures while you are at it.

tawastom
09-09-2013, 07:15 PM
My 1953 model 336 in 35 is my ONE gun i use, I trust it to drop a Black bear, coyote, wolf or any other odds and ends that may interrupt my trapping duties. Its also my deer rifle. I have many guns but my 35 and my 44 Magnum SBH are my go tos I use a 210 gr. 358 TC bullet with 4895 for dropping power,

TXGunNut
09-09-2013, 08:39 PM

Take a look at the Marble Bullseye rear sight. Replaces the rear sight with an aperture and doesn't clutter up the receiver. Lower cost as well.

oscarflytyer
09-09-2013, 10:32 PM
Jump over to Marlin owner's forum. Tons of info on the 336. Also, check out Skinner Sights for peep options.

Clay M
09-13-2013, 02:21 PM
Very nice rifle and a good find indeed. I still have my grandfathers Marlin 336 from the late 60's and a Remington model 81.I may take the 81 deer hunting this year.

missionary5155
09-14-2013, 08:59 AM
Good morning
One nice rifle ! You will not be dissapointed if you use the right diameter cast boolits.
Cannot say much more about the 35 Rem. except it works ! Only thing better (to me) are 38's.
Mike in Peru

DeanWinchester
09-14-2013, 12:05 PM
I'm pretty excited. I've slowly started working up some brass inventory.
MAN! The possibilities when loading this caliber is really extensive!
There's SOOOO much I can do and try.

I've been looking at Hornadys ftx bullet they make for 357 mag. 140g flex tip. I bet a modest powder charge and this thing would be SCREAMING out the barrel.
For fun and plinking there's just so many options. I've got a sack full of molds for 38 spl and 356 mag. All should work fine. I slugged the bore and it's a little difficult to measure with an odd number of grooves but it measures right on .358. Most of my molds fall .359-.360 so they'll be good as cast.

JesterGrin_1
09-14-2013, 03:21 PM
I would size them at .360 and go from there.

john hayslip
09-15-2013, 11:59 AM
There's a post today entitled just "dies" has 35 rem john I don't have

john hayslip
09-15-2013, 12:00 PM
excuse me " dies fs"

35remington
09-15-2013, 12:58 PM
FWIW......I have never, ever "fought" microgroove rifling in a 35 Remington 336 and I've shot more than a few with cast bullets. This is more a problem with mindset than rifling type. If you never looked down the barrel, and simply shot the rifle, I doubt much difference can be found given the right bullet is used.

What "fights" on occasion is the short and abrupt throating of these rifles, and old ones as well as new ones are afflicted with this. This throating is often not cast bullet friendly with some cast bullet designs regardless of rifling style.

DeanWinchester
09-16-2013, 09:26 AM
I found a good trick this morning. I need a way to expand the case mouth for cast and the brass won't fit inside my 38/357 Lee expander so I took the expander piece out of the 38/357 die and dropped it I to my 45 colt expander. Viola!! Worked perfect! Play with the adjustment just a tad and I get a perfect tiny little bell that'll guide the boolit right on in there.

Saved me a few bucks!

Lefty SRH
09-16-2013, 10:33 AM
FWIW......I have never, ever "fought" microgroove rifling in a 35 Remington 336 and I've shot more than a few with cast bullets. This is more a problem with mindset than rifling type. If you never looked down the barrel, and simply shot the rifle, I doubt much difference can be found given the right bullet is used.

What "fights" on occasion is the short and abrupt throating of these rifles, and old ones as well as new ones are afflicted with this. This throating is often not cast bullet friendly with some cast bullet designs regardless of rifling style.

I had a small battle with mine and the short throat issue. Ended up having to trim my cases .015" shorter. In order to shoot cast. But it now shoots pretty well.

27judge
09-16-2013, 12:32 PM
Hears one I had completely refinished by Virgin Valley custom guns . Buffed, polished, blued, and a new walnut high grad stock fitted along with leupold mount and rings. They did a real fine job . I never use it considering selling it tks ken

Lefty SRH
09-16-2013, 01:24 PM
Beautiful!

blikseme300
09-18-2013, 09:50 PM
Drat, I just bought a 35 to compliment my other Marlins and here I go again to get brass. My previous purchase was a JM stamped 336 in 308MX and it took me 3 months to find brass. The kicker is that a week later I happened to ask at the LGS if they had any ammo for it and it turned out it was on sale as they had not moved any in 2 years! So many guns, so little time or money.

TXGunNut
09-18-2013, 10:02 PM
I found a good trick this morning. I need a way to expand the case mouth for cast and the brass won't fit inside my 38/357 Lee expander so I took the expander piece out of the 38/357 die and dropped it I to my 45 colt expander. Viola!! Worked perfect! Play with the adjustment just a tad and I get a perfect tiny little bell that'll guide the boolit right on in there.

Saved me a few bucks!

Good job! My 38/357 die set is RCBS, if the body had been a little longer I wouldn't have bothered with the M-type. OTOH I've got a growing assortment of custom expanders for my Lyman M-type so I guess it was worthwhile. I like the expander die that comes with RCBS's Cowboy dies, ordered an extra expander to use one body for 30-30 and 32 WS. "Replacement" expander was only about $7. Didn't think about putting my 38/357 expander in there. :redneck:

DeanWinchester
09-20-2013, 08:29 AM
Man this sucker has a short throat compared to rifles I've been loading for.

I loaded my first few cartridges this morning and test chambered them. I've got everything worked out but it seems the rifling engages about .050 from the case mouth.
I've got a good feeling though, I seated a 158g RCBS RN plain base with the base of the boolit at the bottom of the neck. No exposed boolit in the case, and the rifling engraves on the boolit, but only mild pressure is needed to close the bolt and extraction was smooth and did not disturb the boolit. I'm inclined to think that that will shoot quite well. We'll find out!

MtGun44
09-21-2013, 10:23 PM
Mine gives me trouble with factory Rem ammo! Near zero throat.

Bill

DeanWinchester
09-22-2013, 02:13 PM
Okay,it is entirely possible that I have just found the rifle I have spent years searching for.

Went to the range today. The other night I removed the buckhorn rear sight and installed a Williams receiver sight. Got to the range today with 20 factory 150g Remingtons I wanted to shoot up for the brass and 50 rounds I loaded myself. I shot three rounds and had the sights dead on at 25 yards. I shot the rest of the box and made a nasty ragged hole out of the x ring. The 50 rounds I loaded consisted of 200g corelokt over 32.0g of AA2015 which shot half a hair low at 25. I won't be shooting these much, if at all.
My next load was meant for fun and nothing else. It was a 158g RCBS plain base round nose over 9.5g of Unique. It was dead on at 25 and the clay targets set on the berms exploded like a nuke! Easy shooter, low noise and scary how accurate them little boogers were.
Last load is going to be my workhorse load. It's an RCBS 200g flat point that when lubed and checked weighs in at 209-210g cast from air cooled wheel weights, lubed with Bens Red and sized .359. That's the same sizer I use for my 38 spl so I gave it whirl. Loaded over 30.0g of AA2015 should be close to 1750fps
It shot dead nutz at 25 yards. Recoil was stiff but not abusive. You know you fired a good load but it wasn't punishing. So, moved out to 100 yards. My self imposed ceiling for this rifle (iron sights & crappy eyes) shooting off a folded blanket at clay targets. My first shot was dead on elevation, about two inches left. Using a 3'oclock hold I proceeded bust clay after clay after clay. I was VERY surprised that elevation was the same point of aim at 100 as it was at 25. Confused but VERY happy.

No way I could stand to shoot more than 30-40 rounds of the 200g flat point in one outing but I could shoot the 158's all day long.

Funniest thing. Out of ten shot string from two rifles, I hit more clays with the iron sight Marlin than I did with a scoped .308!!!

The way I figure it, i will never drill and tap,this rifle so it'll never see a scope. Therefore, I don't see a need to play with powder charges for these particular boolits.

Happy, happy, happy!!

DeanWinchester
09-22-2013, 02:24 PM
I've got to try out a couple more boolits next. A plain base Keith 158g and a swc gas check 158g.
I bet I could drive the tar out of that gas check swc!

...oh yeah, icing on the cake! The bore had a few little freckles in grooves when I got it that i didnt notice at first and wouldn't wipe out with a patch. I opted not to use a brush and just shoot it. They're gone, the bore sparkles after a couple dry patches and I challenge you to find ANY leading.

I can see dust collecting on my other rifles for a while.
THIS is what I've been looking for! The slight obscurity of brass is meaningless after a performance like today.

digger44
09-22-2013, 02:46 PM
Nice looking rifle. 35 Rem is such a cool round. I have a 1981 336 / 35 and love mine.

jonp
09-22-2013, 08:17 PM
I found one a number of years ago with a cracked stock. Got the gun for about $200 because of that and spent some time on the porch with a file and sandpaper working on an unfinished one I got from either Brownells or Numrich, I can't remember which. Oiled the walnut when I got it to fit and used the rifle to take several nice deer and a bear. Great caliber for woods hunting and about all you need for the North Eastern US.

TXGunNut
09-22-2013, 11:31 PM
There's something about the 35 Rem! If you think it's impressive at the range wait until you take it to the field, your 336 is one awesome hunting rifle.

La Dano
02-25-2015, 09:15 PM
Old post but I just traded for a Marlin 336 35Rem. No ammo locally much less brass, I can't even enjoy this ole girl.

TXGunNut
02-25-2015, 11:48 PM
Congrats! I think loaded ammo is currently available from Remington and as I think was posted above and/or elsewhere the brass seems to hold up well for several firings. What boolit are you going to try?

La Dano
02-26-2015, 01:04 AM
I traded for a newer 35rem with Saftey a month ago, very clean Marlin but I wanted a older model. This one is a '75 JM stamped, a little rough. Sat in a attic for 20yrs, nice freckles all over. I've got 150gr core locs to load and a good handful of 190gr Ranchdogs. I'm hoping the Ranchdogs work out. I made 50pcs brass from 308, I'll try them out soon as the weather clears up. I'd still like to pick up factory brass. Anyone else using the Ranchdog?

northmn
02-26-2015, 07:41 PM
I have an old waffle top Marlin that came drilled and tapped (not factory) for a scope. Mine has the 24" barrel and has proven effective on deer. The Hornady FTX 200 grain is an excellent round for the rifle and currently all I can find. Otherwise I handload it as I have built up a brass collection over the years. Lever powder works quite well in the rifle and should work with either cast or jacketed. Like another poster stated the Remington Corelok has been an old standby for this caliber. I see no reason to use lighter weight bullets except for plinking.

DP

richhodg66
02-26-2015, 08:27 PM
I have that same 24" barreled variant waffle top. It shot well with the bulk Remington core lokts and IMR 3031. Lately have started messing with a Remington 141 and the NOE clone of the RCBS 200 grain FP which shoots well.

The .35 Remington is a better killer than its "paper ballistics" would lead a guy to believe. There was someone with some brass for sale on the swapping and selling forum a few days ago. Keep your eyes open, it's not that rare.

Bodydoc447
02-27-2015, 03:40 PM
Check the vendor sponsor section. Grumpa makes .35 Remington brass from .308 cases for a very reasonable cost. I have bought from him before and have been extremely pleased with the results.

Doc

TXGunNut
02-27-2015, 04:34 PM
Anyone else using the Ranchdog? -La Dano

Yes, awesome boolit. The Remington 35-200 may be better but I've had excellent luck with that bullet as long as Scopekiller (my 336) wasn't living up to her name. Good record of DRT's while hunting, even broke both shoulders on a big hog last time out.

358 Win
03-03-2015, 09:52 AM
I've got four 35 Remingtons, a 1938 Rem 141 pump, a 2003 limited run 7600 Rem pump, and two Marlins ( a 1963 336RC and a 1979 336C). The old 35 Remington is my second favorite cartridge following the .358 Win. All wear scopes (except the Rem 141 pump) due to my diabetic failing eyes. The Marlins chop one big hole at fifty yards if I do my part. I load +P level pressures due to factory loads being loaded anemically in defference to some of the older .35's out there. With 200 grain jacketed bullets my 336SC does 2250fps, the 336C does 2300fps, and the 7600 does 2400fps, all with identical RL-12 powder charges. If I can't harvest whatever I'm hunting with any of the above listed loads, I'm staying home and playing Yahtzee with my wife of 43 years. My cast boolit of choice is the RCBS 35-200 on top of a medium charge of 2400 @ 1700fps.

358 Win

357Mag
03-03-2015, 01:46 PM
DeanW -

Howdy !

If you can't find any .35 Rem brass, I believe 6.5 Arisaka brass will serve, in a pinch. Not a lot of brass re-work required.

With regards,
357Mag