PDA

View Full Version : Any Recommendations for an M1 Garand Accurizing Class Instructor?

John 242
09-08-2013, 01:15 PM
My gunsmithing instructor, at Murray State Community College in Tishomingo, is looking for someone to teach an M1 Garand accurizing class next summer. The CMP is now offering a M1 Garand class, and they are swamped with applicants. The demand is there, but without a qualified instructor, we will not be able to offer the class. Do you guys know someone that is qualified and might be interested in teaching an accurizing class on the M1 Garand?

The NRA summer gunsmithing program features week long gunsmithing courses on various subjects, including armorer’s courses, mill and lathe operations, refinishing, single-action revolver tuning, etc. The classes are taught by various guest instructors, including in the past; Hamilton Bowen, Jack Rowe, Dean Batchelder (of Brownells), Thomas “Speedy” Gonzalez, Mike Watkins (of Brownells), just to name a few.

Just for the record, I am only a student and have no impact on the decisions to hire a summer gunsmithing instructor. I was simply asked to see if I could get some recommendations or find someone that might be interested teaching this class.

Any suggestions?

If so, you can post or PM me here, or if you are qualified and interested, you can call the school directly at (580) 371-2371 ext. 244 and ask for Chad Mercer.

I’m a member at SurplusRifleForum and may drop a similar post over there. I spend most of my time here, so I figured I’d try here first.

DCM
09-08-2013, 09:23 PM
I used to know guy by the name of Tom lumen(sp) on the west coast that did a really good job on Garands.
Mike Ginger(USMC Ret.) was also great! May he rest in peace.

akajun
09-09-2013, 08:57 AM
I would contact Gus Fisher on the M14 board, or Issac Mckaskill of Cassat Gun Works

John 242
09-09-2013, 09:48 PM
Thanks guys,
I appreciate the replies.

country gent
09-09-2013, 10:07 PM
I believe his name was Clint Fowler. He built some wonderfully accurate reliable match grade Garands and was the go to when I was competing.He had a method of "bolting them into the stock that stayed service rifle legal.

John 242
09-09-2013, 11:17 PM
Tomorrow I'll do a little "googling" and see if I can't track some of these folks down. Thanks.

MtGun44
09-10-2013, 12:52 AM
Tank at Tank's guns or Tank's Rifles, up in Nebraska was pretty good, no contact in
a long time, tho.

Found a site: http://www.tanksrifleshop.com/

Bill

John 242
09-11-2013, 09:37 PM
Thank you, Bill. I appreciate it.

NWFLYJ
09-11-2013, 09:44 PM
Tim at Warbirds is the best I have ever traded with. He did an awesome job on a M1A1 for me and a M1 for my dad. Simply the best. Mark

http://www.warbirdscustomguns.com/M1%20Garand.htm