PDA

View Full Version : Sticky lube like Lucas

jonp
09-08-2013, 11:30 AM
We have barrels of lube at our shop for greasing 5th wheels on semi's. When done with the barrel there is always some left on the sides. I saw this so cut an old windshield washer fluid bottle top off, washed it out and scraped the sides with my hands. Filled half of it.

This grease is from Shell and labled "high temp, high pressure grease". It's maroon color like the Lucas SuperTac stuff and is made to stick to fifth wheels.

Think this is pretty much the same stuff and will work for lube?

geargnasher
09-08-2013, 11:46 AM
The sticky/tacky/stringy characteristics are imparted by an additive called polybutene, and some of the adhesive greases can be tough like taffee. Your grease should work fine in boolit lube. See if you can find out the thickener type used.

Gear

jonp
09-08-2013, 11:57 AM
The barrel has it's label on the outside. I'll look on it and look it up if the additives are not on there.

geargnasher
09-08-2013, 12:03 PM
Look up the shell name, go to the shell website and look up the tds on it. The base oil type, thickener type, and other important stuff.

Gear

runfiverun
09-08-2013, 07:19 PM
like the stearate used.

btroj
09-08-2013, 07:43 PM
[smilie=s:Isn't the stearate the thickener?[smilie=s:

I can't believe that Run just explained someone else's post, it is usually the other way around.......

geargnasher
09-08-2013, 07:58 PM
I'm getting enigmatic in my old age. One day I might end up like 45 2.1. [smilie=l:

Gear

btroj
09-08-2013, 08:12 PM
Aaaaahhhhh, you are learning well.

jonp
09-09-2013, 08:11 AM
What am I looking for in stearate type or what should I avoid?

runfiverun
09-09-2013, 09:52 PM
lithium stearate is the most common.
calcium stearate is the one i avoid in large amounts. [it's what is used in alox]
amounts being relative.
it takes about 5-7% stearate to make a normal #2 grease, i use less than 20% total of a calcium grease and 35% or less of a lithium grease in a lube.
in temperatures under 90 and above 25 or so, you'll see no major issues with the lithium beeswax lubes.
the calcium stearate lubes tend to build up along the land and groove interfaces.

geargnasher
09-10-2013, 12:48 AM
Calcium has the advantage of working better in the cold than lithium. Lithium, lithium 12-hydroxystearate, and "complexes" containing a percentage of each tend to clam up and not release oils very well below about 40F. Lithium does have the advantage of being the most "transparent" in boolit lube when compared to some of the other common metallic soap thickeners, meaning it moves along and doesn't leave much fouling behind when toasted up by the burning powder. Sodium and calcium soaps tend to build residues if used in high concentrations and under high pressure, but don't pose too much problem at lower pressures and velocities, especially if there's plenty of wax present.

Gear

runfiverun
09-10-2013, 03:16 PM
and gear "laughed" at my alox additions :lol:

btroj
09-10-2013, 03:44 PM
and gear "laughed" at my alox additions :lol:

You are a cruel, cruel man

I like that

Skunkworks
09-10-2013, 05:20 PM
Replies from "The Three Amigos"

geargnasher
09-10-2013, 06:53 PM
I disliked the effects of calcium as the sole stearate so much that I was disinclined to utilize it in blends, but I may be proven obtuse on this point yet. Right now I'm on the rebound from TnT and seeking a zero-stearate lube. Captain Extreme here.

Gear

btroj
09-10-2013, 07:48 PM
Whoa, zero stearate? Like an anti-TnT lube?

Interesting idea. Lead on Captain.

geargnasher
09-10-2013, 10:16 PM
High-temp microwax and ester oil. I may have mentioned it in PM, it was one of the things I burned with a torch that left next to nothing behind.

I'll "lead on" in the proper thread, I think we hijacked poor JonP's thread enough! :bigsmyl2:

Gear

btroj
09-10-2013, 10:26 PM
Sorry John.

Always look as grease as a mix of oil and a thickener. The oil and thickeners are key. I find myself reading lots of labels on grease at stores.

jonp
09-11-2013, 06:35 PM
Keep rolling along, guys! No worries on the hijack, I don't mind.

Here is what this 5th Wheel Grease is: http://s01.static-shell.com/content/dam/shell/static/usa/downloads/lubricants/cs5861-10-sh-gaduss3v220cflyr.pdf

Shell Gadus S3 V220C 2 It's a high temp, high pressure lithium based grease that our mechanic uses not only for 5th wheels but also for bearings and stuff. He says it cost's better than $300/barrel but is worth it.

So what do you guys think? Will it make good lube or not. Did I mention that I can get as much as I need for free? [smilie=p:

shredder
09-11-2013, 08:15 PM
I used a similar grease from a tub my garage with beeswax to make "lithi bee" and it worked out fine. I bet your grease will serve you equally well! If anything I mix a little more beeswax than the recipie calls for becasue I found my first batch very soft and greasy.

btroj
09-11-2013, 08:36 PM
It would be a decent lube ingredient. Maybe 25 percent grease, the rest a mix of beeswax and microwax. Adjust the grease percentage to get a mix with the physical properties you want. It will be a lube with good low temp properties but may get a bit lose at higher temps, say above 85 degrees. Some purging and wetness but it will still work.

Price is right, that is for certain.

geargnasher
09-11-2013, 09:25 PM
$3/lb is cheap for good grease. That stuff is fine for boolit lube, but it will take several melting/coolings and a lot of stirring to get all the lumps to dissolve in beeswax without scorching the wax. Lithium complex thickeners have a very high dropping point.

Gear

runfiverun
09-11-2013, 09:42 PM
sounds similar to wheel bearing grease.
the drop [melt] point will be about 400/450-f
you could make a lube very similar to bens red by following his directions and adding the other ingredients.
or just mix about 25-30% to some b-wax and maybe throw some jpw in with it.
good lube easy to make.