PDA

View Full Version : Alternative lube idea....

Deep Six
09-08-2013, 11:12 AM
I just had an idea - given all the talk and excitement about powder coating bullets lately, it got me thinking of other alternative methods of lubricating bullets. What about the aerosol silicone spray lubricant? It dries to a non-sticky, very slick surface, and stays on the surface a long time. I've used the stuff for various purposes around my home, shop, and vehicles with impressive results. I wonder how well it would work on bullets....? I may have to try it on a batch of 45s. If it works, it'll be even faster than tumble lubing in Alox!

Has anyone tried this yet or could think of a reason not to?

longbow
09-08-2013, 11:19 AM
No reason not to try it. The worst that will happen is lead in the bore.

My suspicion is that it will not work because there will not be enough lube to carry to the muzzle. While it might be a good lubricant, I think it will simply wipe off in the first bit of bore then you will have an unlubed bullet... that is if this silicone lube is the kind I am thinking of which leaves just a film with no build up.

Speculation on my part. Maybe someone who has tried it or something similar will post.

Longbow

btroj
09-08-2013, 08:13 PM
A lube does much more than lubricate. It helps keep the bore sealed against gas blow by. Silicone sprays isn't going to do that. It will help you learn how to clean a leaded bore.

Low speed handgun rounds might work but even that is pushing it.

bangerjim
09-08-2013, 08:26 PM
A lube does much more than lubricate. It helps keep the bore sealed against gas blow by. Silicone sprays isn't going to do that. It will help you learn how to clean a leaded bore.

Low speed handgun rounds might work but even that is pushing it.

Agree. On a microscopic level, a lube forms a sealing layer, be it grease, wax, or powder coating. Spray silicone will be only microns thick where standard or powder lube can be up to a couple thousands thick. You need "stuff" that does more than just act as a lubricant.

Advise the best method you come up with to remove the massive amounts of lead that will be in your barrel. HA......ha! [smilie=p:

bangerjim

Deep Six
09-25-2013, 09:57 PM
So I loaded 18 rounds of 45 ACP lubed with silicone spray. The bullet was the 45-225E from Accurate molds (my design BTW). I sprayed 2 heavy coats of silicone and then let them dry for a day. Once dry, the things were so slippery I had a hard time picking them up to set them in the case mouth. I fired them out of my Colt XSE 1911, which had a spotless barrel prior to the test. After 18 rounds there was just a little bit of leading in the first 1" of barrel past the chamber. This gun usually does 100s of rounds of 60/40 paraffin/vasoline lubed boolits without any leading at all, so I am calling the test a failure. However, the leading was very minor and I could have kept going if I had more rounds loaded. I may try a batch of 50 and put 3 coats of silicone on them just to be sure it ain't going to work!

Accuracy during the test was very good, as is usually the case with this gun regardless of what I'm shooting out of it. I got a 3" group at 12 yards offhand without really trying hard.

gwpercle
09-26-2013, 12:43 PM
Great post, will be interested to see how it works out with 3 coats and 50 rounds.

Gary

stinjie
09-27-2013, 09:16 PM
Silicone can tolerate high heat pretty well.This silicone idea has me interested in trying a silicone paste.I'll get some from work and give it a try this weekend and report back.It will be with 38/357 revolver.

375RUGER
09-28-2013, 12:38 AM
So I loaded 18 rounds of 45 ACP lubed with silicone spray. The bullet was the 45-225E from Accurate molds (my design BTW). I sprayed 2 heavy coats of silicone and then let them dry for a day. Once dry, the things were so slippery I had a hard time picking them up to set them in the case mouth. I fired them out of my Colt XSE 1911, which had a spotless barrel prior to the test. After 18 rounds there was just a little bit of leading in the first 1" of barrel past the chamber. This gun usually does 100s of rounds of 60/40 paraffin/vasoline lubed boolits without any leading at all, so I am calling the test a failure. However, the leading was very minor and I could have kept going if I had more rounds loaded. I may try a batch of 50 and put 3 coats of silicone on them just to be sure it ain't going to work!

Accuracy during the test was very good, as is usually the case with this gun regardless of what I'm shooting out of it. I got a 3" group at 12 yards offhand without really trying hard.

Your test wasn't a failure. You got results.