PDA

View Full Version : Lead electrodes

kenjuudo
09-08-2013, 10:52 AM
Haven't seen any of these in years, used in industrial plating. Friend dropped 'em off in the drive, emailed to say there were about two dozen in an old barn he's helping tear down if I could use them. Dead soft, 11/2" diameter about 48" long 35 pounds or so.

montana_charlie
09-08-2013, 01:18 PM
Dead soft, 11/2" diameter about 48" long 35 pounds or so.
Melting them down without having that oxidation drifting around might be the fun part.
I would probably suspend one over a pot of lead, and lower it at the same rate it melts at.
Fluxing (reducing) periodically should return the oxides to the metal state ... rendering them 'disappeared'.

CM

merlin101
09-08-2013, 01:40 PM
Melting them down without having that oxidation drifting around might be the fun part.
I would probably suspend one over a pot of lead, and lower it at the same rate it melts at.
Fluxing (reducing) periodically should return the oxides to the metal state ... rendering them 'disappeared'.

CM

Learn something new every day! I would've scraped them down a little and then tossed em in and fluxed skimmed fluxed skimmed.......

montana_charlie
09-08-2013, 07:25 PM
Learn something new every day! I would've scraped them down a little and then tossed em in and fluxed skimmed fluxed skimmed.......
I don't think you would want to be breathing in the powder you were scraping off ...

merlin101
09-09-2013, 03:50 AM
I don't think you would want to be breathing in the powder you were scraping off ...

Not to worry, I've been around long enough to when to use PPE and plan to be around alot longer! But thanks for the thought.