PDA

View Full Version : 452-255 RNFP -- 424 top punch

james6600
09-08-2013, 10:51 AM
Hi all, I am just getting in to luberisizing with a used LAMII. While cleaning the blue plastic lube out of the LAM and getting it primed with Emmert's then set up for 45 Colt I noticed a ring below the metplat of the setup boolit, after about the 5th pass with the setup bullet the ring became a substantial groove. I think I can either open the punch up with emery cloth or maybe shorten the punch a little till the metplat hits if the ogive is the same, need to investigate more. Now I believe there are three Lyman punches listed for this Lee mold, is one of them correct? I have learned of theprofessor and will probably deal with him in the future as I learned of him from this site and he lives in my state. My question is two fold, what would be the best way to modify my currant punch, and why are "we" (we as a shooting community) listing the RCBS #424 as a proper top punch? My concern is there are a lot of people that need to buy the proper tool the first time. To some I help with this sport that $10 top punch is a major purchase. Maybe along with the top punch chart sticky notes could be added about fitment, like close fit or leaves ring, just a thought.

RobS
09-08-2013, 10:59 AM
Can't help you on the top punch numbers etc. I use a simple flat top punch for all my flat meplat designs; I've even made one in the past with a bolt that I picked out of my bolt bucket. Others as well as myself have taken a top punch and added some epoxy to the inside of it and then put the punch in the ram, lowered it down onto the boolit nose and let it dry. you will need to use something to keep the epoxy from sticking on the nose of the bullet and I used a wax, some have used grease.