PDA

View Full Version : Ideal Holster/Detachable Buttstock

smokeywolf
09-07-2013, 09:11 PM
Anyone familiar with this piece of equipment? Manufactured I believe between 1900 and 1925. It functioned as both holster and detachable buttstock. They were made for both revolvers and the Colt model of 1902.

http://www.rockislandauction.com/viewitem/aid/54/lid/1434

I have a friend that has a holster/saddlery business that he works part time to supplement his retirement. He has suggested that if I am willing to do the sheetmetal/machining work, he might like to produce one.
Would those of you more savvy and up to date on the ATFE regs regarding detachable buttstocks for "curio & relic pistols" know if manufacturing one of these is in compliance to the regs?

smokeywolf

Artful
09-08-2013, 04:25 PM
Q: If a person has a pistol and an attachable shoulder stock, does this constitute possession of an NFA firearm?

Yes, unless the barrel of the pistol is at least 16 inches in length (and the overall length of the firearm with stock attached is at least 26 inches). However, certain stocked handguns, such as original semiautomatic Mauser “Broomhandles” and Lugers, have been removed from the purview of the NFA as collectors’ items.
[26 U.S.C. 5845, 27 CFR 479.11]

Either get a ruling as to your handgun being C&R exempt (from Technology in D.C.)
or pay the $200 SBR tax.

And watch out for altering the pistol to take the stock
- years ago they sold 1911A1 Mainspring housings that had a slot milled to take a removeable stock, the ATF ruled having that part that was NOT original was making a SBR, even if you didn't have a stock!

(sort of like drilling an additional whole in my AR15 even if you didn't have M16 parts)

ironhead7544
09-08-2013, 07:14 PM
I have handled an original. Few were made. For actual use, I didnt think much of it. Making a replica for a collection might be worth it. NFA rules apply. You will have to register the pistol before you put a stock on it. Call BATF for more info.

smokeywolf
09-08-2013, 07:23 PM
Thanks for that response Artful. The model 1902 in question is an original and was sold with the Ideal detachable stock/holster. It came from the factory with the slots in the grip to mount the buttstock. No modification of any kind need be made to the pistol.

This holster/buttstock would be fabricated to replace the original that came with the gun and was lost many, many years ago.

NoZombies
09-09-2013, 07:19 AM
Thanks for that response Artful. The model 1902 in question is an original and was sold with the Ideal detachable stock/holster. It came from the factory with the slots in the grip to mount the buttstock. No modification of any kind need be made to the pistol.

This holster/buttstock would be fabricated to replace the original that came with the gun and was lost many, many years ago.

Unfortunately, without a ruling from the ATF technology branch saying that it was exempted, it would still fall under the perview of the NFA. With a properly written letter, the exemption would most likely be granted, but I would wait for the outcome before proceeding with the making of the stock.