PDA

View Full Version : Marlin 45-70 Guide gun ????

Parson
10-23-2007, 10:07 PM
Am looking for an affordable Marlin in 45-70 and have found a couple of the Guide Guns with short barrels and ported. Question, how objectionable is the noise of these ported Marlins? I hate the average ported high power but have never heard one on a 45-70, thinking it might be quieter

dubber123
10-23-2007, 11:32 PM
I am sure they must be louder than a non-ported version, but my brother has one, and I can't say I have ever heard it make that same ear splitting crack that a ported magnum makes. His load is a 440 cast at 1,800. The lighter 300 grainers might sound different, I don't know. I believe the new Guide Guns are non ported. I imagine most on the used market are the older ported versions though. His shoots cast great by the way.

6pt-sika
10-23-2007, 11:42 PM
I have a 1895G ported and another that isn't ported . The unported one is still new in the box ! So I can't say what the difference might be .

But I also have a 444 and 450 Marlin in the GG configuration that are ported as well . Oh yes and the 336D which is a 35 REM .

I don't find any of them objectionable , but then again I shot trap and skeet for many years with ported barrels [smilie=1:

MtGun44
10-24-2007, 12:13 AM
I worried about the noise, too. I used mine hunting and didn't
even notice the sound. The rifle is very accurate with 57.0
of W748 and either a RCBS 405GC, a Speer J-type 405 or a
Rem j-type 405. Always under 2" at 100 yds with a scope.
This chronos about 1750 from my SS GG, and is in the trapdoor
pressure range (low). A bit of a thumper of a load, but kills
large grass-eaters very well.

Bill

10-24-2007, 12:33 AM
I don't know what limits or base line type noise is OK for you, but I've stood next to those monsters and I think the noise is beyond compare. I have two .45-70's (neither one is ported) and there is a marked difference in ported and non-ported. Without any insight as to why Marlin ported the early ones and the newer ones are not ported, I would hazard a guess that the ported ones were just too much to deal with and sales suffered.

freedom475
10-24-2007, 11:43 AM
My dad has a 45-70 GG, since I do most of his reloading, I have shot this gun a lot...I hate it! He packs it when we go up where the grizzlies live.
1. Those ports seem to make the little gun recoil staight back...HARD...(I shoot a 460wthby) so I know what hard is.
2. The forend is way too big, and the front sight hood has a big hole in it to let in light...And EVERYthing else.
3. The safety> would get you killed in a"hairy" situation< if I had a nickel for eveytime I pulled the trigger and it went...CLICK, that and it doesn't even hold enough ammo to be considered a good back-up gun.

Sorry for the rant, but man I hate that gun!

Marlin does make a good short packable 45-70 in some of there LIMITED runs , you just have to keep your eyes open. Don't settle for the GG.
Browning also makes a great 1886 45-70 carbine if you can find/afford one.

BABore
10-24-2007, 01:39 PM
My dad has a 45-70 GG, since I do most of his reloading, I have shot this gun a lot...I hate it! He packs it when we go up where the grizzlies live.
1. Those ports seem to make the little gun recoil staight back...HARD...(I shoot a 460wthby) so I know what hard is.
2. The forend is way too big, and the front sight hood has a big hole in it to let in light...And EVERYthing else.
3. The safety> would get you killed in a"hairy" situation< if I had a nickel for eveytime I pulled the trigger and it went...CLICK, that and it doesn't even hold enough ammo to be considered a good back-up gun.

Sorry for the rant, but man I hate that gun!

Marlin does make a good short packable 45-70 in some of there LIMITED runs , you just have to keep your eyes open. Don't settle for the GG.
Browning also makes a great 1886 45-70 carbine if you can find/afford one.

Well, I'll have to totally disagree.

I've been shooting a 450 Marlin GG since they first came out. I put 2,500 rounds through its original ported bbl. I later had the bbl replaced with a non-ported version and have over 3,000 rounds through it. Seventy-five percent of those rounds were from the bench and consisted of mostly full power loads. This barrel change was due to a chamber condition and not the ports. I did not notice any difference in felt recoil. Muzzle climb increased slightly in the plain bbl. There was a slight reduction in noise to the shooter. I never had any problem with the ported version when fired in the open outdoors. Inside is a different story.

As far as the hooded front sight, you talk to any dedicated Marlin shooter and that's the first thing that comes off. Want some? Got a drawer full.

Thick forends? Deal with it. They sell rasps and sandpaper at most hardware stores. I personally like them thinner too, but I figure I'm there to shoot it, not mate with it.

The safety? What safety? That's what the hammer is for. The other little button on the side. Disable it with a small o-ring placed on the grooved end when placed in the "fire" position. Don't like the o-ring? Remove the butt stock to access the Loc-tited set screw that maintains the safety's rotational orientation (there's a flat milled into the cylindrical safety, the screw rides against it. Break it loose and turn it in tight against the safety when it's in the off position. Locked in place now.

I don't really find the recoil too much, even from the bench. Mostly each and every week I shoot 30-50 full-house rounds with just the factory pad. The recoil sensitive start out with a Simms pad and progress to a mercury recoil reducer in the butt stock.

As far as capacity for a backup gun, come on! It holds four in the mag and one in the chamber. You think you can get more than five off at a charging grizzly from 50feet. You'd be lunch after 3 well aimed shots cause they are that fast.

Adam10mm
10-24-2007, 01:46 PM
I love my Guide Gun. Mine isn't ported. I replaced my sights with XS ghost ring set (they were on sale for $60) and added a 2x magnified red dot sight on the scout rail. With a stout charge of 47gr IMR4198 behind a 350gr FN, it backs up pretty good, but with a SVL pad it doesn't hurt. I'm 5-10 145# so you can imagine how 40# of recoil treats me.

The safety isn't an issue if you use it properly. There is the halfcock and the crossbolt. I leave mine fully cocked with the crossbolt in place. I need to shoot, I hit the crossbolt and make loud noises. It isn't a design flaw, just a lack of practice. I've been in some hairy situations and never had an issue with the safety.

The forend is larger than normal as to aid in aiming like a shotgun.

I like mine a lot. I'd get rid of my prized AR15 I build before I'd get rid of the Guide Gun. For real.

Adam10mm
10-24-2007, 01:49 PM
Here's my baby:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v239/freakshow10mm/DSC01891.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v239/freakshow10mm/DSC01892.jpg

6pt-sika
10-24-2007, 06:33 PM
Well lets see here's my GG collection .

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f316/6pt-sika/DSCN0117-small.jpg

The top one is a non ported and yet to be fired 1895G in 45-70.
Next is my ported 1895G in 45-70 .
The middle rifle is my first ever Marlin , an 1895M in 450 Marlin also ported.
Next to the bottom is my ported 444P that is in 444 Marlin caliber.
And finally the bottom rifle also ported is a 336D that is in 35 REM .

Get the picture on my thoughts on ported rifles !

6pt-sika
10-24-2007, 06:40 PM
A couple more "ported" rifles .

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f316/6pt-sika/DSCN0116-small-1.jpg

The one on top is not ported but it's a Davidson'd Limited in 45 Long Colt .
Next down is a Marlin 1894P in 44 MAG that IS ported (factory of course).
Next to bottom and also ported is a Marlin 1894CP in 357 MAG .
Bottom rifle is a Marlin 336Y in 30-30 caliber.

Granted I do not believe the 357 , 44 , 35 REM or the 444 require porting . And am not totally convinced that the 45-70 or 450 do either for that matter . But on the other hand I have no problem with them being ported either [smilie=1:

Adam10mm
10-24-2007, 07:06 PM
Some fine looking Marlins there.

6pt-sika
10-24-2007, 08:41 PM
Some fine looking Marlins there.

Thanks !

The game plan is to eventually take the unfired 1895G and have it rebarreled into 50 Alaskan and of course that will be ported . Had that rifle for over a year now and keep procrastinating about the rebarrel job .:roll:

freedom475
10-25-2007, 12:24 AM
Looks like I'm all alone with my opinion of the GG, hope I didn't upset anyone.

Thank you BABore for the info on disabling the safety. Your right, a grizz from 50ft, You'd probably be lunch in less than 3 shots...40mph=almost 60fps.

Those are some nice pics! 6pt-sika your unfired 45-70 is a beauty ,wow that 's nice wood, the 444 ain't to shabby either.

Lloyd Smale
10-25-2007, 06:48 AM
nice guns sika id sure like to find another 35 like you have. I passed on a good deal on one once because cash was short (when isnt it) now the prices have gone through the roof on them if you can even find one. Ive got a 4570 a 444 and a 44p and love them all. The two big ones have been fitted with limbsaver pads. They all have apature sights of some kind and action and trigger jobs done. Ive got to get another one of the fake screw saftey replacement dealies for the the 44p though. Just never seem to get around to it. Out of the three my 444 is by far my favorite. It will kill anything that walks and does it without sending your shoulder back to the county behind you. As to the porting. I think it does make them louder but shooting them side by side with non ported guns i can tell the diffence. Would i rather have them unported? YUP! Another big mistake i made was passing on one of the non ported 44ps. Should have sold something to buy that one.

Adam10mm
10-25-2007, 10:07 AM
Thanks !

The game plan is to eventually take the unfired 1895G and have it rebarreled into 50 Alaskan and of course that will be ported . Had that rifle for over a year now and keep procrastinating about the rebarrel job .:roll:

Tell me about it. My uncle gave me his 1894 in 44 Mag so I could rebarrel it to 50AE. I never went to pick it up. Just waiting for me. I got too many projects all at once. I have to finish up the ones I'm working on now before I delve into that one.

Whit Spurzon
10-28-2007, 11:40 PM
I had both, traded off the ported recently. Very handy size and capable of impressive accuracy. I can't tell the difference in recoil or report. Over the chronograph there was no discernible difference in velocity. Averages all within 10 fps on loads tested.

My 1895GS is probably my favorite rifle to hunt with.

Freightman
11-11-2007, 03:29 PM
WOW! Good looking rifles!

13Echo
11-13-2007, 11:29 AM
I was at the range a couple of years ago shooting my 45-90 Sharps. Another shooter arrived with a ported Marlin Guide Gun and set up at the next table. an interesting looking gun I thought and went back to getting a good sight picture on my target. I was just about to touch it off when what sounded like a 155 howitzer firing a zone 5 charge errupted from the next bench. I'm not certain where my shot went. I hope it didn't go over the berm but it sure didn't hit the target. Then I noticed a stinging in my left arm to go along with the ringing in the ear and noticed I was bleeding from a dozen small points and had small, flecks of black all over the arm and shirt sleeve. The d***n ports had directed a terrific muzzle blast right at me as well as numerous grains of unburned powder that tatooed my arm. Haven't cared for the ported barrel Guide Gun since.

Jerry Liles

6pt-sika
11-13-2007, 12:34 PM
I was at the range a couple of years ago shooting my 45-90 Sharps. Another shooter arrived with a ported Marlin Guide Gun and set up at the next table. an interesting looking gun I thought and went back to getting a good sight picture on my target. I was just about to touch it off when what sounded like a 155 howitzer firing a zone 5 charge errupted from the next bench. I'm not certain where my shot went. I hope it didn't go over the berm but it sure didn't hit the target. Then I noticed a stinging in my left arm to go along with the ringing in the ear and noticed I was bleeding from a dozen small points and had small, flecks of black all over the arm and shirt sleeve. The d***n ports had directed a terrific muzzle blast right at me as well as numerous grains of unburned powder that tatooed my arm. Haven't cared for the ported barrel Guide Gun since.

Jerry Liles

If you think the ports on the Guide Guns are bad , you should shoot at the bench with a couple of my friends on either side of you . It seems they both had to have 338 Ultra Mags when they first came out . And both decided the needed comps on the end of the barrels . They are a PAIN IN THE ASS !!!!!!

I got up from between them and moved to the other end of the range . They asked why and trying to be nice I said that would put me better in line with the berm I was shooting at . And don't ya know they picked up there stuff and BOTH moved down besdie me . Then I told them the truth , left them there and moved back to where I started [smilie=1:
And this is coming from someone who is normally not affected by ported guns :roll:

6pt-sika
11-13-2007, 12:39 PM
Tell me about it. My uncle gave me his 1894 in 44 Mag so I could rebarrel it to 50AE. I never went to pick it up. Just waiting for me. I got too many projects all at once. I have to finish up the ones I'm working on now before I delve into that one.

Actually I have two rifles that were bought expressely for rebarreling .
Of course the 1895G to 50 Alaskan . And a Marlin "Glenfield" 36G that I picked up off auctionarms a year or so ago to rebarrel to 7-30 Waters . And I keep putting off both projects .

At the moment I am waiting on FEDEX to get my 450 Alaskan to me . I live in VA and it was shipped in NC . Left NC and went to MD , left MD and went to AZ . Now not quite sure where it is !!!!!
This one I did not have done , but bought it from another lever nut !!! He had bought it from a local dealer and had never fired it !!!! So I am hoping it will be a keeper [smilie=1:

6pt-sika
11-13-2007, 12:44 PM
Looks like I'm all alone with my opinion of the GG, hope I didn't upset anyone.

Those are some nice pics! 6pt-sika your unfired 45-70 is a beauty ,wow that 's nice wood, the 444 ain't to shabby either.

Freedom , you didn't piss me off by any means ! You have just as much right to your opinions as I do to mine :-D

Thansk the wood in the 1895G helped me decide to purchase it , plus the fact that I bought it new for $450 [smilie=1:

The 1895M in that picture is the first Marlin I ever purchased and the 444P is the third Marlin I ever purchased :drinks:

Coastie
11-14-2007, 02:56 AM
45-70 (Marlin 1895G) non-ported. I think it is a great rifle: easy carry, iron sights and works well in heavy brush and rain. On the range I use ear plugs and muffs, but it's a smart rifle........ when I hunt and shoot elk it doesn't make a sound.