PDA

View Full Version : 30-30 Marlin with RCBS 150 boolit today

44man
09-07-2013, 08:11 PM
I am using 18.5 gr of 4759. I sighted at 100 with a 1" group. I went to 50 yards to test lube and primers, easier to see. I shot under 1" with Felix and then tried CR. I got 1/4" for 3 shots. here is the kicker-- I used a Fed 155 LP mag primer. It was amazing how much better it shot.

marvelshooter
09-07-2013, 08:36 PM
I have been using Winchester and now CCI LP primers in my cast .38-55 loads to save my meager supply of LR primers. They shoot the same.

dverna
09-07-2013, 09:46 PM
I would not get too excited with a 3 shot group. Especially just one.

RickinTN
09-07-2013, 10:17 PM
I've had pretty good luck with that bullet as well, but not as good as you are. Is your rifle a micro-groove barrel or one of the older ballard rifled barrels? What alloy were you using? And what diameter did you size to? I don't own that mold. I purchased several bullets from a gentleman who is no longer casting, thus my curiosity.
Thanks,
Rick

44man
09-08-2013, 11:05 AM
It has held up with more groups. Seems the LP mag primer works best with 4759. I measered one 50 yard group at 3/16".
This is a new rifle with Micro groove. I use a .311" Lee die to remove excess lube only. Boolits run .310" and expand with time. My boolits measure .3112" to .3115" after aging. I water drop WW boolits. Carnauba Red is better then Felix in the rifle so I will make some Felix with carnauba. Just need a little stiffer lube.
Old, old Marlins had great rifling but new ones either have micro groove or what they now call Ballard. New Ballard is only .003" deep, same as micro groove. Micro groove actually has more grip then new Ballard.
It has been forever since I used cast in a rifle other then the 45-70. Had a .35 Marlin but never got cast to shoot. Found the mold was casting way too small. The gun shot 1/2" at 100 with Hornady bullets but cast was a spray.
I think it is luck to get a new mold to cast large enough. I feel more lucky then smart.

subsonic
09-08-2013, 12:15 PM
Jim, one of my back burner projects is to get my 94 weened off of jacketed.

You are inspiring me...

Any idea of the velocity of your loads with 4759?

I assume you're using Hornady checks?

nekshot
09-08-2013, 12:19 PM
Thats great! not every rifle and boolit has to be a bear to find the right combination! Enjoy your gun!

detox
09-08-2013, 12:40 PM
That boolit shoots best in my Model 94. For TARGET shooting I use linotype alloy sized to 310., SPG lube, Winchester Large Pistol primers and 8 gr.Trail Boss. 1000fps

44man
09-08-2013, 01:07 PM
Never checked but esimate over 1800 fps. I will get the chrono out.
Yes, Hornady checks.
You know I am a revolver nut but this Marlin is fun.
You will never believe i had an original 1892 Marlin in 25-20 that I shot 3/4" groups at 100 yards with cast and open sights.
The only Marlin I hated was the .44 mag with the 1 in 38" twist.
Nothing wrong with the WW 94 either. Wonderful rifle with tighter dimensions then the marlin. Need to FL cases. I have shot many but never was lucky enough to own one. It is without a doubt the most perfect lever gun. Others are just ugly!
I read about the new Henry 45-70 and was not impressed, I still want a Marlin SS guide gun. I want a 94 too.

DrCaveman
09-08-2013, 01:46 PM
Pistol primers in the 30-30, eh?

Do they seat below flush then? Since you havent reported any misfires, i guess it is working...maybe the rifles have an aggressive enough primer strike that it can fully seat the primer and also set it off at the same time? Guessing

I like the options this opens up...so much easier and simpler to sub components to achieve better accuracy. A LOT easier than buying 4 different molds, lapping/beagling, water dropping, trying twelve-tier ladder tests...etc

I know that hard work and diligence are the most consistent ways to get good results in almost any endeavor, but sometimes the simplest of solutions are very effective.

I think you just gave me another excuse to load up 20 (more) rounds of 30-30 and head to the range!

subsonic
09-08-2013, 03:45 PM
Never checked but esimate over 1800 fps. I will get the chrono out.
Yes, Hornady checks.
You know I am a revolver nut but this Marlin is fun.
You will never believe i had an original 1892 Marlin in 25-20 that I shot 3/4" groups at 100 yards with cast and open sights.
The only Marlin I hated was the .44 mag with the 1 in 38" twist.
Nothing wrong with the WW 94 either. Wonderful rifle with tighter dimensions then the marlin. Need to FL cases. I have shot many but never was lucky enough to own one. It is without a doubt the most perfect lever gun. Others are just ugly!
I read about the new Henry 45-70 and was not impressed, I still want a Marlin SS guide gun. I want a 94 too.

My 94 has been a good one. Myself and my step-son both took our first deer with it. Definitely a keeper!

It's an angle eject and had the stupid rebounding hammer setup (impossible to get a good trigger pull...) until a few months ago when I scored a regular lower tang with old-school hammer and trigger.

That Henry seems decent, but I worry about the magazine. That little tit and tube doesn't look strong enough for .45-70 recoil.

I had a .444P guide gun but sold it to afford my son's Lyman GP rifle.

Shiloh
09-08-2013, 04:44 PM
I have been using Winchester and now CCI LP primers in my cast .38-55 loads to save my meager supply of LR primers. They shoot the same.

I scrounge to maintain my supply of LP primers for pistol. Hopefully it'll loosen up soon. Small rifle and pistol primers are available. SOme large rifle as well. LP is still hit and miss on availability.

Shiloh

44man
09-08-2013, 05:43 PM
Just seat LP mags to the bottom of the pocket, only .010" difference. They will be below flush. All primers MUST be seated fully.
Depends on your powder so some will need the LR.
I use a Fed 155 with 4759 in my 45-70 revolver so I just had to try it in the 30-30. Yeah, my head is still in the clouds! What a great feeling to just load without anymore work.