PDA

View Full Version : It's chanterelle time again

quilbilly
09-07-2013, 07:29 PM
Winter must be coming early this year. The chanterelles in our area are already full grown. This is a month early. Now I can't wait for the venison steaks to go with them.

Bucking the Tiger
09-07-2013, 07:48 PM
A fine mushroom if you can find them!

dale2242
09-08-2013, 07:55 AM
It was a really bad year for chanterelles here last year.
I am hoping for a better year.
Now I will have to be looking sooner because all wild berries are earlier this year.
Billy, did you get some rain lately to make them pop early?.......dale

quilbilly
09-10-2013, 02:35 PM
The rain was spotty. Some areas got really dumped on while others got next to nothing. We have had about an inch and a half over the last week and two weeks before got 3/4 inch so the conditions for the chanetrelles is about perfect. We picked a few pounds last weekend and will pick a few more this afternoon. There is a pack of ferel pit bull/mastiff crosses running around in the national forest above our property so we will be armed accordingly. The dogs seem from the same litter an must weigh nearly 100#. I have seen the pack twice in areas 3-4 miles apart, no houses anywhere near and unsupervised. The local sheriff deputy said shoot to kill. This pack will get dangerous if it isn't already.
Commercial mushroom pickers out at the other side of the Olympic Pen. have been busy for a couple weeks.
Anybody have a good recipe for chanterelle soup??? Just in case I get tired of sauteeing them and smothering venison steaks.