PDA

View Full Version : Shotgun primers in BPCR cases

Nobade
09-07-2013, 09:36 AM
After noticing yesterday that I can get 5,000 Cheddite shotgun primers from Graf for $109, I was contemplating what would happen if I were to convert some cartridge cases to accept them. I wonder if they are able to stand the pressure of a full 45-70 black powder load? Would they make accurate ammunition? Anybody ever try this? If it worked, it would be easy to make a number of them using my little turret lathe.

-Nobade

John Boy
09-07-2013, 09:56 AM
Nobade - if it produced better accuracy you would have probably read that "serious" BPCR would have done it decades ago to decrease the brisance for better powder charge ignition.
But - you could be the First![smilie=s:

Freightman
09-07-2013, 10:17 AM
let us know :razz:

hiram
09-07-2013, 10:18 AM
Nobade.

I did it. The results were uneventful.

Skunkworks
09-11-2013, 06:16 PM
BP ignites quite easily.
The top BPCR shooters use LP primers because they contain less priming compound than LR.
A 209 Primer holds @ double the amount of priming compound a LR does.
What you would get is a primer that pushes/blasts BP and boolit out of the case before it ignites properly. Higher SD

If it worked they would all use it!

texassako
09-11-2013, 06:57 PM
I am using 209's I had with black powder, but only to use some brass berdan primed Lebel cases I converted to 10.4 Italian(kinda like a .44-60). They don't work any better or worse than regular LR brass in this old carbine. I wouldn't have bothered except to utilize some otherwise useless brass.

Nobade
09-11-2013, 08:45 PM
BP ignites quite easily.
The top BPCR shooters use LP primers because they contain less priming compound than LR.
A 209 Primer holds @ double the amount of priming compound a LR does.
What you would get is a primer that pushes/blasts BP and boolit out of the case before it ignites properly. Higher SD

If it worked they would all use it!

Yes, you are absolutely correct. I know that if I want best performance I should use what is established to work well. But the reason for my question is - if I want to shoot and can't get primers, but I can get 209's and they are cheap, what will happen if I use those instead. Basically it comes down to either getting to shoot something that (hopefully) works reasonably well, or don't shoot at all.

-Nobade