PDA

View Full Version : Anyone in the Rogers/St. Micheal Minnesota area?

LEADHOPPER
09-07-2013, 07:48 AM
Hey fella's

I have to head up to the Rogers/St. Micheal Minnesota area way next week for a training class at Jet Edge and was wondering if anyone up that way knew of a couple good places to wet a line. From what I can tell there are lots of lakes and at least one river in the area. Just trying to figure out that type of fish there are to catch. Better yet maybe we can get together fish and have a few beers.

Thanks
LH

41 mag fan
09-07-2013, 08:45 AM
Dont live there, but all my inlaws do (not in that area though where you're going)....Walleye, Northern Pike are the 2 biggies. Muskies are up there.
Sept and Oct the Walleye and northern ramp up feeding for winter.
Seems like you can walk a ten mile radius from one spot and hit a lake anywhere in MN.
Reason why they call it the Land of 10,000 lakes

JonB_in_Glencoe
09-07-2013, 10:07 AM
Without a boat, lake fishing isn't much more than sunfish from a public dock with a bunch of kids running around, tangling your line and jumping in the water causing a ruckus ;) But if you are into sunfish, I guess the kids will be in school if you fish during the day.

I would head 8 miles north of Rogers to the city of Elk River. Look for the Elk River Dam, it's just a short distance from where [the River] Elk River empties into the Mississippi river. We are in a drought, so water is low, means easier fishing. Small mouth Bass should be biting hard...But there are special limits on them if you are going to keep them, get a rule book or look online. OR, if you want some easy angling, Carp are always biting and are fun to catch...but Late season Carp aren't really good eating.
There is also everything else [fishwise] in the Mississippi, so you could catch anything, even sturgeon. Years agoMy daughter and I got a 36lb flathead catfish.

I grew up Near Elk River, but now I live 50+ miles away, I doubt I can get up there to visit/fish with you.
Good luck,
Jon

41 mag fan
09-07-2013, 12:33 PM
OK now I know where Rogers is...just North of Maple Grove. Jon when you mentioned Elk River it jogged my memory.

MaryB
09-07-2013, 10:46 PM
If you don't mind a little drive head up to Mille lacs and go on one of the charter boats. West there is the chain of lakes by Annandale but need a boat for that.