PDA

View Full Version : Mold Handle replacement

jules
09-07-2013, 05:20 AM
The wood on my Lyman handles need to be replaced. I'm sure plenty of you have done this. What type wood and such?
Thanks

Hickory
09-07-2013, 06:20 AM
Hard maple or hickory.
As I give it more thought,
I think hard maple would be best.

Adk Mike
09-08-2013, 07:45 PM
When mine loosen I mix up some JB weld. Seems like they never come loose again.

jules
09-08-2013, 08:12 PM
I used some hi tech glue and it seems to work fine. They are split and burnt and will need replaced at some point.

fryboy
09-09-2013, 05:25 AM
birch is what the factory's seem to be made of , some of the harder woods ( such as hickory or oak ) tend to split more , ash would better than either , walnut works tolerably fair as does IPE ( brazilian walnut ) what you're after is a non-stringy type wood ( hickory is in this category btw great for hammers etc not so much mold handles ) while i havent tried a set made from maple i have made a bunch of tool handles from it ( especially file handles ) straighter grain is best but limited figured wood can be used , just keep the knots and burl away from the attaching end

gwpercle
09-10-2013, 01:25 PM
Low tech .....old mop/broom handle. Not pretty but free and available

country gent
09-10-2013, 01:40 PM
I would also recomend not using an oil finish with the heat. I glue my handles on and pin them As ocassonialy the epoxy breaks down / softens from the heat. I have used oak and maple with good results but also turn a heavy metal ferrule to stregthen the end of the handles.

OuchHot!
09-10-2013, 03:41 PM
I use pieces of a broken rake handle. I think that they are hickory.

Iron Mike Golf
09-14-2013, 01:20 AM
I have been using Gorilla glue on loose Lee 6 cav handles. I run the corner of a triangle file to make some "teeth" in the metal. They've held up for over a year now. Heat doesn't seem to bother the glue. It's not brittle like JB Weld, so it won't crack.