PDA

View Full Version : babbit source

rrob692326
09-07-2013, 01:48 AM
Hello
Does anyone know where I can buy some #15 babbitt? I need a source for arsenic and magnum shot cost too much to ship to Hawaii in sufficient amounts. Also babbitt would solve my antimony shortfall at the same time I need at least 20lbs.
thanks for the help
RR

aspangler
09-07-2013, 10:30 AM
Try Rotometals. Click on their ad at the top of the page. Good people to work with.

JonB_in_Glencoe
09-07-2013, 10:59 AM
what is #15 Babbitt ?

GlocksareGood
09-07-2013, 11:49 AM
Sounds like durite.
http://www.alchemyextrusions.com/babbitt/

rrob692326
09-07-2013, 05:26 PM
Thanks will try alchemyextrusions. rotometals has no alloy with arsenic in it.

GlocksareGood
09-07-2013, 07:22 PM
Let us know what you find out. Ever though about just using COWW for your AS? Would probably be cheaper.

rrob692326
09-07-2013, 09:10 PM
There is no supply I know of anywhere on this or any island that will sell you wheelweights anymore. i tried offering the guys at tire shops 1.25 lb, no takers. I bought some two years ago on ebay but 400lbs doesn't go that far and those prices are long gone. If you know any body selling real clip on wheelweight ingots not range lead please let me know.

GlocksareGood
09-07-2013, 10:58 PM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?63886-Lead-Ingots-For-Sale-Buyer-s-Choice

Got to this thread and drop Kathie a PM. She might be able to help you. She has provided many people here with quality lead.

cwheel
09-07-2013, 11:22 PM
Don't have any idea what grade #15 is, different system of grading babbitt I guess. When I used to cast plain bearings, this I always tried to save the melt out. We used to grade by nickel content, typical grades 3X, and 4X, with 4X having more nickel. Down to my last 100 lbs. of this stuff now, great in the boolit lead mix for a hardening agent. None of the boolit casting lead my family has saved can be identified, all cast into ingots. When I start a alloy run, I'll cast and mix until the alloy matches the listed weight of the mold within 1gr. Babbitt is great for bringing down the weight and hardening the alloy. Doing a water drop with this alloy makes a nice hard cast. I can almost always count on using 5-10% Babbitt in a 50lb. lot. For the most part, plain bearings are not in general use anymore, mostly found on old equipment and machinery. You can buy Babbitt new, but very expensive. Find a maintenance machine shop for old equipment and you might just find some melt out. Getting them to sell it to you will be another matter, most will try to re-mix or reuse because of the high price of new. Good luck,
Chris

jeepyj
09-10-2013, 09:30 PM
I have a line on some tin based Babbitt. I just waiting for the gentleman to finalize pricing. He claims th have two hundred pounds or so that is more than I can use. It has been melted but here's a photo of what it looks like when still in its original form. If it is something you are interested shoot me a pm. If not no harm done.
Jeepyj

rrob692326
09-13-2013, 05:26 AM
yes I would be very interested let me know composition and price thanks RR

jeepyj
09-13-2013, 09:34 PM
I'm going to keep your information I should be in the money round shortly with this Babbitt.
Jeepyj

Lloyd Smale
09-15-2013, 06:56 AM
thats the same babbit it get. High speed babbit from the local paper mill. they used it in the past to pour bearings but for the most part now buy them ready to go. It mostly tin with a trace of copper and a bit of antimony. If i remember right when we tested it it was like 96 percent tin 3 percent antimony and 1 percent copper.
I have a line on some tin based Babbitt. I just waiting for the gentleman to finalize pricing. He claims th have two hundred pounds or so that is more than I can use. It has been melted but here's a photo of what it looks like when still in its original form. If it is something you are interested shoot me a pm. If not no harm done.
Jeepyj

jeepyj
09-16-2013, 07:29 PM
thats the same babbit it get. High speed babbit from the local paper mill. they used it in the past to pour bearings but for the most part now buy them ready to go. It mostly tin with a trace of copper and a bit of antimony. If i remember right when we tested it it was like 96 percent tin 3 percent antimony and 1 percent copper.
Awesome information.Thank you, I was wanting to send out a sample for testing. I use a formula of five pounds of COWW and 1 ounce of this Babbitt for my 9mm, 38/357 and a GC 44mag. So far I have no leading and they seem to group quite well.
Based of the amounts of tin, copper and antimony listed would anyone else care to chime in? I'm always looking to learn a a tip to or two.
Jeepyj

beagle
09-17-2013, 09:16 PM
Somebody around the shipyard at Pearl Harbor ought to be able to come up with some. It was commonly used as bearing material during the war and shortly thereafter./beagle

sundog
09-17-2013, 09:26 PM
Ah, copper babbit. Requires lots of heat to keep from 'sheeting'. Get the melt and mould temp just right and get some awesome boolits when mixed into COWW. Too much copper and too little heat and lots of wrinkles. Felix and I palyed around with it a few years ago and finally had to cut targeted alloy down a bit with WWs to get them pour right. Like I said, gooooooooood boolits.