PDA

View Full Version : New Source for 170 gr .267" Lee projectiles

Dutchman
10-23-2007, 07:02 PM
Some/many of you are aware of this Lee custom mold 170gr flat nose gas check .267" that was produced as a result of a group buy some years ago. The mold itself is available from Midsouth Shooters Supply.

For those of us that don't handcast bullets (anymore) we've been left out in the cold... until now.

Today I took delivery of 500 of these wunderslugs for the 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser. They're awsum. 1.267" long. One of the longest cast bullets I've ever seen. I know Buckshot has one of these molds as he posted some valuable information over at gunboards.com in the Swedish forum.

I have no connection with this vendor except I've been a customer since 1999 and know his quality is as good as any. His prices are much better than most.

http://gardnerscache.com/index.html
Gardner's Cache in Illinois. I've purchased from him in person when I was resident in northwest Indiana for 10 yrs. $45 per 500 + USPS shipping.

Couple months ago I purchased 3,000 other cast bullets from him including:
.311" 190 gr RN
.309" 210 gr RN Lyman 311284
.323" 170 gr flat nose for the 8x57 Mauser (and hopefully 8x58R Danish)
.452" 230 gr RN for the .45 acp
.357" 158 gr SWC for the .38 Special

The two .30 caliber rifle bullets did very well in the M1903 Springfield & M1917 rifle. Intital loads with the .323" 170 gr in the 8x57 Persian Mauser and K98k proved it to be a viable choise. It did much better in my nearly cherry Persian 98/29 mainly because it has a Dayton trigger (I did the dirty deed).

Many decades ago, in the far distant past I use to cast my own. I liked it alot but gave it up when I retired and moved cross country in 1996. Since then I've bought from Wayne Doudna in Wisconsin and Gardner's Cache in Illinois. I've been very pleased with Doudna's rifle bullets, especially 311299 as it shot some extroidinary groups from my Finn m/1891 Mosin-Nagant B-barrel & 1891 Argentine Mauser. I found it very strange that those two rifles shot as well as they did but the Finn Belgian barrel Mosin had a previously unfired barrel and its beautiful inside, smooth and shiney. Doudna's prices have risen way too much for me to be buying from him regularly as I use to. Gardner's prices are among the lowest anywhere that I found on the web.

But the 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser in the m/1896 rifle wouldn't shoot fer sh*t with the 160 gr Loverin cast bullet from Doudna. Some of you know this already:???:. I was slow getting into cast bullets in the 6.5x55. Recently a shooting friend in northwest Indiana spoke with Jim Gardner in Valparasio, Indiana at a gunshow and Gardner mentioned he had this Lee custom mold that he bought for a customer but the fellow never bought the 1,000 bullets that he cast with it. My friend snapped up 500 of them and I just received the other 500 but he will cast and sell these same as his other bullets but its not cataloged into his website.
Tell him Dutch sent you and maybe he'll smile at me sometime:drinks:.

Dutchman
Siskiyou County, Calif

Buckshot
10-24-2007, 12:04 AM
..............Dutchman, you don't cast!!!!!????? Egads don't tell me, you sit in front of the TV instead? :-)

................Buckshot

JeffinNZ
10-24-2007, 03:38 AM
Doesn't cast!!!!

### Jeff faints ###

Dutchman
10-24-2007, 03:39 AM
<hanging my head in shame>

no.. not any more. Started in about 1969 and did it up into the mid-1990s.

I miss it, too. Its a strangely satisfying pursuit, as you well know. I think what changed things is I got more into collecting for the last 11 years. For the last 5 years I've been shooting cast bullets in rifles almost exclusively and enjoying it greatly. I just have too much going on to get back into casting at the moment. I think about it..

Dutchman

jtaylor1960
10-24-2007, 11:36 AM
I cast most of my own but have bought some so I could try out a different bullet or two.I bought from Gardners Cache and found his prices very reasonable.

looseprojectile
10-24-2007, 12:39 PM
Have cast and sized them. Have not loaded and shot them.
Other things keep getting in the way,such as the Savage sporter in 25 20, the Marlin 1894s .44 Mag. and the Cimarron high wall 40 65 and the S&W model 14-4 that I traded for yesterday.:-D

I have two Swede 96s and a very nice 94 14 carbine. It seems that it is more fun to acquire more new projects than finish, or work on the ones that I already have.
Most of my cronies do the same.
I cast my own and can load 25 20s for about five cents each, when factory loads are more than a dollar each. That's economy. I'm not cheap, just income challenged.

As I get older, [ 69 in a couple of months] it becomes more difficult to find the ambition and motivation to complete these projects.

I hope this happens to all of you the same as as it has to me.

I don't know anything that I would want to change. I am enjoying retirement more than I ever dreamed I would.

Dutchman sounds like my kind of people. ha ha!!!!!!!