PDA

View Full Version : decent scope for 10/22

45sixgun
09-06-2013, 09:33 PM
My daughter wants to get a lower end (but decent) scope for her 10/22. She doesn't have a whole lot to spend, and she'll be using it to target shoot and compete in her 4-H club. Any good suggestions from a retailer like say Midway? Thanks!

Lead Fred
09-07-2013, 02:39 AM
Our local gun show sells a 4x mildot for $40 and a 3x9 mil dot for $80.
I have the 4x on a Marlin 60, and the 3x9 on a Win Model 61.
Both work outstanding. Ive sold boat loads of them to my small caliber friends.
I lost the guys card, so I have to wait until the next show to get his card again.
Which isnt until 12-13 Oct :-(

If yer in a hurry, you can buy mine and Ill replace it in Oct

ElDorado
09-07-2013, 05:20 AM
I put this one on a 10/22 that I use for plinking. I just needed a little help because my eyesight is getting too poor to see the iron sights, and I didn't want to spend a lot. It does OK.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/211994/simmons-22-mag-rimfire-rifle-scope-3-9x-32mm-truplex-reticle-matte-with-rings

flounderman
09-07-2013, 07:23 AM
I have a Weaver, K4 Micro trac, made in Japan, I would take 50.00 shipped. Nice K 2.5 Weaver with duplex crosshairs, same price. Got a BSA .22 special for 25.00 shipped, but it's not the scope the weavers are. PM if your interested

winelover
09-07-2013, 07:24 AM
I have an older version of the Simmons 22 Mag. scope that ElDorado recommended. Works just fine. However, the original rings are aluminum and don't tend to hold zero. I replaced them with good quality steel rings. Burris, IIRC. I do this with any scope / red dot that comes equipped with aluminum rings. Cheap insurance, IMO.

Winelover

45sixgun
09-07-2013, 10:56 AM
Thanks for the feedback, guys. I'll research the options you mentioned later today when I get a few minutes. We're off to the kids' airgun meeting right now.

fouronesix
09-07-2013, 11:40 AM
Depends on a couple of things. If the 10-22 is capable of shooting accurately then a better scope is warranted. If not, then I guess anything will work. I'd check around and see what your daughter seems to like and does well with in the way of scopes. Surely there are others in her shooting group who have scopes on 22s so she can kind of compare.

The various dot sights and standard optical types both can work well. She'll probably do better with lower power although the urge amongst the young or inexperienced shooter to to use too much power. If she likes conventional optical scopes and her 10-22 is capable of good accuracy for sure try to get a scope that is parallax zeroed to the ranges she'll be shooting. If varying distances then pick the scope (if possible) that is parallax zeroed to the average distance. Many of the 22 dedicated scopes are parallax zeroed at 50-60 yards. Most "big game" scopes are parallax zeroed to somewhere around 100 yards.

Oh and almost forgot. A year ago I was messing around with a friend's stopper rifle mounted with a very high end reflex sight. I also know that currently some of the reflex sights are very affordable and therefore "seductive" in the market. But, even that high end sight had a very large amount of parallax shift at all ranges. It was a good match for the purpose of the rifle, but there's no way would that be any good for target shooting.

Artful
09-07-2013, 11:40 AM
My daughter wants to get a lower end (but decent) scope for her 10/22. She doesn't have a whole lot to spend, and she'll be using it to target shoot and compete in her 4-H club. Any good suggestions from a retailer like say Midway? Thanks!

I usually say you get what you pay for in scopes - but understand the need for budget
- for target shooting you need to be able to adjust parallax to range so that eye placement isn't causing the groups to open up. Also for smallest groups the more power (up to a point) helps
- I was talking to a friend the other day and he surprised me by saying how happy he was with his two walmart scopes - this as we were looking at my $600 Burris Tactical long range scope I just purchased :shock:

you might want to check it out - his appeared to be decent for 22LR
http://www.walmart.com/ip/CenterPoint-Illuminated-4-16x40mm-Scope/17173797

The CenterPoint Illuminated Scope is a perfect device for your hunting adventure. The objective at the end of the illuminated scope is used to adjust the parallax focus between five yards to infinity, until a clear image is produced. This scope features a red and green dual illuminated Mil-Dot reticle for the ever-changing light conditions from dusk to dawn. The windage and elevation dials provide you with easy adjustment and superb accuracy, and the dial can be reset to zero with ease. The ergonomically designed scope provides superior image quality, quickly. This CenterPoint rifle scope is 100-percent water, fog, and shock proof, and delivers excellent imagery in all conditions.

CenterPoint Illuminated 4-16x40mm Scope:
Adjustable objective from 5 yards to infinity
Red/green dual illuminated Mil-Dot reticle for the ever-changing light conditions from dusk to dawn
Adjustable brightness for red/green illumination
Adjustable windage and elevation dials
Razor shape image quality
Part of the CenterPoint Adventure Class of hunting optics
Offers highly resolved images in all conditions
Delivers superior performance at affordable prices
100 percent waterproof, fog and shock proof

If you can spend more I would look at Nikon, Bushnell and Leupold but I doubt they will be in the price range you have to spend. The other way to economize is to look into used scopes at your local gun shops - many times you will find a higher quality scope at a decent price. And lots of LGS will try to help a new shooter out.

fatnhappy
09-07-2013, 09:37 PM
here's a thread on exactly the same topic

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?168170-Which-Scope-For-A-10-22-Take-Down

W.R.Buchanan
09-07-2013, 10:32 PM
Red Dot!

Bushnell TRS-25, $90 most anywhere.

I have 4 now and have made shots out to 400 yds. and commonly at 200 yds. with my .223's.

Easiest sight for a newbie to hit with there is. No sight alignment needed, put Dot on target,,, pull trigger. Simple as that.

At 3.2 oz. it also keeps the gun light, which is more of a consideration to young shooters than a high power 1 lb. scope you can't really use.

Also no parallax to contend with. There is no parallax in a zero power optic.

Have her look closely at these sights. you really can't go wrong with one. Good quality and excellent service.

Randy

Artful
09-08-2013, 04:17 PM
Randy, I don't think you'd be a competitive shooter with a red-dot

www.uaex.edu/faulkner/4h/shooting_sports_frequent_questions.pdf
"target type .22LR rifle with aperture sights adjustable for windage and elevation"

4-H Team from Georgia Features Female Shooters

Members of the Laurens County Georgia 4-H Club sport their pink shirts. Over 15 members and support staff made the trip to Camp Perry for the National Rimfire Match. The Laurens County Georgia 4-H Club made a colorful entrance to the match dressed in pink. Even coaches Frankie Mathis, 45, and Donnie Upshaw donned the team colors, which Mathis referred to as the “Pepto-Bismol” group.
http://accurateshooter.net/pix/cmprim4h2x600.jpg
Team member Natalie Harper, 16, even sported a pink Ruger 10-22 semiautomatic rifle for the match. Mathis and Upshaw have been coaching the Laurens County team for 15 years, staying with the group even after their own children were graduated from the program. In all, nine members of the team participated in this year’s match.
http://accurateshooter.net/pix/cmprim4hx600.jpg

Finster101
09-08-2013, 04:24 PM
A decent scope is not a bad investment for a 10-22. With a little trigger work or a new trigger group they can be very accurate. Mine will shoot dime size groups a 50 yds with a drop in trigger group.

W.R.Buchanan
09-08-2013, 05:01 PM
art: it does depend on what type of target shooting we are talking about. If it was Bullseye type I could compete, as I can shoot 2" groups at 100 yards with my Kel-Tec. 50 yds with a .22 would be no problem. But I said I could compete, maybe not win. Just due to the size of the dot.

On steel targets like falling plates there is no contest,,, I win.

For plinking,,, again no contest.

With Crosshairs you still have to line them up with the Bullseye . With the dot you just cover it or if the dot is smaller than the BE you center it just like you'd do with a Peep sight.

It was just a thought to try to get others to think outside the normal box for a little while. There should be no argument that Red Dots are by far the easiest sights to use there is. Sometimes getting someone started is better done with a simpler means.

I'm sure you remember when you started how they showed you the sight picture on a card and then you struggled to duplicate that sight picture. They are still teaching this in pistol classes.

They don't teach Dot sights simply because there is nothing to teach. You put the dot where you want the bullet to go and pull the trigger.

Randy

shdwlkr
09-10-2013, 10:38 AM
go to a decent gun shop that has used scopes and see what you can find. I had many a scope that I couldn't afford new that way.

NoZombies
09-10-2013, 01:11 PM
go to a decent gun shop that has used scopes and see what you can find. I had many a scope that I couldn't afford new that way.

I agree with this. I've picked up Leupold scopes for less than $50 used at local gun shops and pawn shops.

Never have found a zeiss there, but you never know.... ;)