PDA

View Full Version : ramrods in bulk

sagamore-one
10-23-2007, 06:33 PM
I was in the bait shop the other day when a tall skinny guy came in and inquired about special pricing for ramrods for his 45 cal muzzle loader by the dozen. He said they were too expensive one at a time. When questioned further he told us that after shooting them several times they were frazzled enough that he needed a new one.

We all tried not to laugh.

Rattus58
10-23-2007, 07:06 PM
Hell he be doing pretty good then... I've never seen one recovered.... :)

Freightman
10-25-2007, 07:58 PM
My son made a mistake and forgot to take his ram-rod from his 58 cal Enfield, when it went off I thought it had exploded. He was pale with pain and we thought he had broken his sholder, turned a dark black then purple and yellow for a month after. He hasn't made that mistake again.
He must have a tough sholder is all I can say.
And we never found the rod for sure.

Rattus58
10-25-2007, 08:23 PM
Hehe.... I'm not admitting anything straightaway here, but I aint never scene one recovered myself.... :)

Aloha.... :) :cool:

Bullshop
10-25-2007, 10:02 PM
Many years ago back in the stoned age I went to visit a friend I hadnt seen in a while. We had a nice visit sitting in his yard under a big pine and enjoying a cool drink. While there I noticed a fire place poker well centered in a pine tree with each end sticking out about 4". The story went that they had picked up this ML rifle cheap and wanted to shoot it but were short a few items, like a ram rod. No problem says they we just unscrew the ends off this here steel poker and it becomes a ram rod, and it did for a fashion. Trouble was it being so heavy it ramed in but not out and it was stuck. Again undaunted they decide it a simple matter to just shoot it out. Just point it at that tree for safty sake. Not wanting to chance strike three they just screwed the ends back on and left it in the tree. Its like some kind of modern art sculpture that has some deep meaning and you dont want to ask because you will feel silly for not knowing.
I had to ask.
BIC/BS

MT Gianni
10-25-2007, 11:29 PM
I saw Kirk Douglas shoot an attacking Indian with his ramrod as a young man. I think the movie was "Drums along the Mohawk or Missisippi". It didn't take much to impress me then but I thought the scene was cool. Gianni

mooman76
10-25-2007, 11:38 PM
Charlton Heston did it in "Mountain Men". Maybe there's something to this we don't know!

Buckshot
10-26-2007, 02:37 AM
..........One of my old shooting buddies, "3 Band Bob" was down the line shooting his M1855 Springfield. Just out of the corner of my eye I saw him as he fired a shot that about lifted him off his feet and set him down a couple yards back. He's not a tall guy. We all heard the whurrra-whurrra- whurrra sound a ramrod makes as it heads downrange :-)

I also saw a guy shoot a ramrod out of one of those inlines and he had it stoked with 150grs of Pyro RS and a slug in a sabot. He did find the ramrod. It was an aluminum shaft with a brass rammer. Hard to believe but that brass rammer head had upset enough to take the rifling! About 6" of that aluminum ramrod ahead of the brass rammer was twisted from the rammer trying to spin in the rifling, and the aluminum shaft trying to NOT turn, ha! Musta been SOME pressure to upset that brass rammer! Rolled him over backwards off his stool.

...............Buckshot

Rattus58
10-26-2007, 03:51 AM
You obviously have no idear what an extra 1200 grains can mean to ones psychology.... :grin:

mooman76
10-26-2007, 10:41 AM
Maybe he wants to start a new modified archery/BP season!

Underclocked
10-26-2007, 12:51 PM
Should have told that bulk buyer to just go to the lumber yard and buy 3/8 dowel. He would have got a kick out of that.

Rattus58
10-26-2007, 02:43 PM
Maybe he wants to start a new modified archery/BP season! you mean a primitive methods seasons..... :grin: