PDA

View Full Version : Lee Pro 4 20 base dimensions?

kencha
09-06-2013, 05:45 PM
I received all of my PID stuff today, but the Lee hasn't arrived yet.

As a weekend project I was hoping to build a stand for the Lee to enclose the PID, somewhat like el34's design, though not as polished.

I searched here and elsewhere for the Lee's base plate dimensions but came up empty handed.

Anyway, could some kind soul give me the dimensions of the Lee Pro 4 20's base plate?

Thanks.

500MAG
09-06-2013, 05:56 PM
8 & 3/4" x 6& 1/2"

kencha
09-06-2013, 06:15 PM
That was quick. Thanks 500MAG!

el34
09-07-2013, 01:29 PM
I'll be really interested to know how your project comes out, never mind any polish, just the functional things you thought out.

On mine the big things were raising the pour spout to eyelevel, I used to have to duck my head to watch the mold fill. And to recess everything to protect from drips.

I first looked for an aluminum project box from electronics places but struck out so I surrendered to making it from wood.

The paint and everything is just stuff I like to do and sometimes I get a little overboard on it. A few years ago I discovered how easy it is to do a little basic graphics in Excel. I've always lamented the lack of decent front panel labeling on home projects and this method made it really easy and fun to do.

What PID kit did you get? Have you decided on an enclosure yet?

And welcome to the PID club! When I got my Beretta I was told I qualified for Beretta Snob status, maybe there's something similar for PID owners haha. You have to get used to holding your nose a little higher.

kencha
09-07-2013, 03:09 PM
Being a packrat, I had a power supply from an old sun server. The case looks to be just the right size for a stand; just the right height, about an inch bigger in length and width, and plenty sturdy. It comes with a plethora of heatsinks too of which I'll repurpose one or two for the SSR.

For the PID I just ordered the auber 1/16 din with a probe to silver solder into the bottom of the pot, and their SSR.

Everything else is just from stuff I have sitting around.(wiring, terminal strip, fan, etc)

Only thing I haven't scrounged yet are some non-skid feet and a good power switch.

Your's is sweet looking. Mine? Well, it will be functional...

el34
09-07-2013, 04:50 PM
Sounds like you have a plan! Rubber feet and a switch shouldn't be a problem, maybe Home Depot for both.

One possible thing- if the power supply case isn't much bigger than the pot base check to see the pot can't easily slide off. That's the voice of experience talking, 15lb melted lead dumped out on the table. That's one of the reasons I put the tray on mine.

Cutting the square controller hole is kinda tricky because there is so little flange around the front to cover rough edges. I did it with a nibbling tool and hid the roughness with the plastic overlay, hole was easily cut with an exacto and straight edge.

It'll be interesting to see how the bottom-mounted thermocouple works for you. I really like the neatness of it but saw 1 or 2 posts about it leaking. My skill level tops out with JB Weld but it only goes to 500deg.

Please update your thread as you go!

Bill

kencha
11-14-2013, 02:36 PM
Not much of an update, seeing as how it's been operational for a couple of months, and I didn't document the construction or even take photos of the inside, but here it is, in all of its glory.

As mentioned, it is made from the case of an old Sun server PS along with some left over wiring, terminal strips, etc, and the guts of a small wall-wart to power a fan and the LED circuit. The LED's are essentially worthless, since the display is right there, but the supply had 3 LEDs there originally, so I figured why not?

No leaks around the bottom mounted TC after a few casting sessions, although I kind of destroyed the first TC while silver-brazing.

Not a thing of beauty, but it works, and my scrap-pile/hoard just got a little bit smaller. And there's room for a 2nd PID, which I may add someday for controlling the hot plate.

dikman
11-17-2013, 12:42 AM
Not a thing of beauty,

Don't forget that "beauty is in the eye of the beholder". I reckon that looks great, neat and simple.:drinks:.