PDA

View Full Version : Question about Bear lard from a bear that I shot

fivegunner
09-06-2013, 05:10 PM
I melted down all the fat from a bear That I shot, it made nice white lard, would this by its self make a good patch lube?? or would I have to add something?? also will this bear lard spoil if I kept it out of the refrigerater?? :bigsmyl2:

dondiego
09-06-2013, 06:33 PM
Never actually used bear lard myself but with other animal fats, it will eventually go rancid without refrigeration but it takes awhile. Junior says to just microwave it and kill the Bac-T and you are good to go again. Maybe you could add sone BHT or something antibacterial like soap to slow the deterioration a little.

ballistim
09-06-2013, 06:36 PM
I've used beef, pork, and mutton suet rendered into lard (used to raise my own meat), and all worked well with mutton being the best. All animal fats will go rancid and I kept it in the freezer-still do! I usually pull out some from fall to spring and use bore butter in the warmer months since it smells better. I've always wanted to try bear just because I remember reading about the mountain men & trappers using it. Go for it!

fivegunner
09-06-2013, 06:43 PM
Hi Ballistim, I see you live in south mi. I live in Lowell , if your not to far away I could give you some bear lard.

Junior1942
09-06-2013, 06:44 PM
Never actually used bear lard myself but with other animal fats, it will eventually go rancid without refrigeration but it takes awhile. Junior says to just microwave it and kill the Bac-T and you are good to go again. Maybe you could add sone BHT or something antibacterial like soap to slow the deterioration a little.Don't add anything! Just store it in a refrigerator or a freezer. That's white gold you have there! Use it as-is for patch lube. Well, melt it, or course.

waksupi
09-06-2013, 06:45 PM
Makes a lot better baking oil!

ballistim
09-06-2013, 07:25 PM
Hi Ballistim, I see you live in south mi. I live in Lowell , if your not to far away I could give you some bear lard.

I do get up that way, my kids all live around the Muskegon area so next time I'll be going that way I'll send you a PM. Thanks for the offer, Fivegunner!

mainiac
09-06-2013, 08:05 PM
I melted down all the fat from a bear That I shot, it made nice white lard, would this by its self make a good patch lube?? or would I have to add something?? also will this bear lard spoil if I kept it out of the refrigerater?? :bigsmyl2:
Thats all i use anymore for patch lube, works as good as anything ive used,and the barrell cleans up so nice,when done shooting.Store it in the freezer,and take out a little at a time.
Dont store it in mason jars on a shelf,at room tempiture,DONT!! been there,done that,,,,,PEEEE-YOU!

JonB_in_Glencoe
09-06-2013, 08:56 PM
My first introduction to Bear Grease was an old timer nicknamed "Babe". He was long passed from this earth, but before he left he gave me a ice cream bucket full of bear grease that was at least a decade old, just been sitting in a cool corner of his basement. It didn't smell real bad, but it had a little gamey thing going, I figured a decade in a celler in a plastic bucket, it'd stink to high heaven. I asked why this didn't smell real bad ? he said when he renders it, to cook it long and hard and hot.

He did tell me if I thought it had a bad smell, to just heat it up to 350º and cook some tators in it...the Tators will absorb all the bad odor. Since then I have gotten bear grease from a hunter friend. When I render it, I cook it long and hard and HOT. That also tends to help it separate (clear oil from the white grease) and I do process it into canning jars...some are now a decade old, still sealed and clean looking. Anyway, I don't store the container that is currently open and am using in the frig or freezer...and they smell fine, unrefrigerated for a couple years now.

btw, The clear oil is some great stuff, whether for cooking/baking or leather. I use the white bear grease for ML round ball patches OR I mix it with Beeswax for conicals (typically 50-50 but depends on time of year/temperature while shooting).
Good Luck,
Jon

Baron von Trollwhack
09-06-2013, 09:43 PM
I've long used home rendered bear fat as a ML patch lube and as fine bear oil for lock internals. Starting with fresh non rancid fat, begin rendering by moderately and slowly increasing the frying temperature after you have diced the fat up into 1/2" chunks and they start to render.....NO WATER. You are aiming for a frying temperature that produces a very light fried brown color of residue of chunks. As the chunks are reduced to little more than crisps turn the heat off, scoop out the residues of chunked tissue. Moisture in the fat cooks off slowly. When cooled enough to easily handle, I pour my renderings in an old gallon shortening can with a lid. The oil is the much lesser part of the rendered fat and will rise to the top. The bear lard hardens and looks just like hog lard. The oil is a clear liquid you can pour off the hardened lard. Do not rush and make dark crisps or the fat/oil will have a burned smell. You can save the oil in a plastic container when cooled. I store the lard under the kitchen sink with the lid on. No smell or ruin, lasts for years, even shooting a lot. Harden with beeswax to suit your needs regarding temperature at use.

BTW you can do this same procedure with white coon fat and get grease and oil of an even finer nature. Find a trapper who can save the fat for you frozen and proceed as above with ten pounds or so of fat.

Both work well. BvT

w5pv
09-07-2013, 05:39 AM
To clear fat that has been cooked a little long and scorched add water and bring for a good while,then set aside and let solidify the water with all the dregs will be on the bottom.Good white lard/grease will cake on top when cooled.

Junior1942
09-07-2013, 07:08 AM
Speaking of bear oil, check out this interesting woman. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marie_Th%C3%A9r%C3%A8se_Metoyer Around 1790 she made her fortune killing bears and rendering their fat into oil. She and her sons put the oil in big clay jugs and barged it down Red River to New Orleans. People back then used it for everything we use oil for today, including hair oil, cooking oil and lubricating oil.

Boerrancher
09-07-2013, 10:39 PM
I use bear grease mixed with bees wax for a patch and maxi lube, but I have also been known to use coon grease, possum grease, deer grease, mink oil, and several other non petrol based oils for lube. I use what ever is on hand and try not to get all wrapped around the axle about lubes.

For a PRB it is a grease patch for the first shot while hunting and the follow ups are always a spit patch and I follow up with spit patches. Even in the winter time when it is below freezing I still use a spit patch for follow up shots especially for small game hunting. I have heard the stories about the patch freezing and it doesn't seem to cause problems. Also who cares if it freezes. When you touch the powder charge off it will melt.

Joe

OnHoPr
09-08-2013, 10:56 AM
I cut up all the back haunch fat off the deer I shot a couple of years ago. I proceeded to melt it down slowly in a old frying pan until there were only crispies left. I let it cool a bit then poured it in a plastic peanut butter jar. The deer lard has been sitting on the shelf for a couple of years now and still looks and smells the same. I haven't used for patch lube yet but for lube in the 30-30. A couple of pooches I know love the crispies.

TCLouis
09-08-2013, 11:15 PM
Best leather treatment you have ever had in your hands. Softens rejuvenates!

KCSO
09-09-2013, 09:38 AM
Bear oil was a prefered patch lube in the old days. I find it too runny in hot wether so I mix 3/4 bear lard to 1/4 bees wax. You can use it straight if you don't get migration into the powder. I also cook with it. This is my favorite bullet libe mixed 50 50 with beeswax for my black powder guns.