PDA

View Full Version : help

Forty Rod Ray
09-06-2013, 03:47 PM
I have a piecef trench art, med cal. shell case with what appears to be a smaller rifle case driven into the priming channel. Have not tried to pull hot case out, what can be used to de-activate primer... witch's brew, old bear sweat? Appreciate any aid...

Warmest regards,

FR Ray

aspangler
09-06-2013, 05:07 PM
If there is NO powder or projectile in the larger case AND NO projectile in the smaller case a nail and a hammer will fire the primer very well. Just don't hit it too hard.

MtGun44
09-09-2013, 08:53 PM
What size??? I suspect it is NOT what you think it is.

The 40mm grenade launcher uses a 45ACP case pressed in, and WITH POWDER as the launching
charge, with a small subchamber, and side vents into the main case. This keeps pressures high
enough to burn the powder well, keeps the powder in proximity of the primer, but keeps pressures
low for launching the projectile in the gigantic "main" case. I had an opportunity to load
some ammo similar to this for an experimental non-lethal projectile launcher a few years ago,
and you may be looking at something similar. We had a 3" diam case, made of aluminum and
pressed in a .45 ACP case with about 5 gr of Unique, and a .030 Styrofoam overpowder wad
sealed in with glue.

This is called a "hi-lo" system. Look to see if there is the subchamber with a few side vents
down in the bottom of the case.

Bill

Forty Rod Ray
09-14-2013, 07:36 PM
Much obliged, problem solved...FRR

Lefty SRH
09-15-2013, 01:08 AM
Problem solved? So what did you do, my friend? You know how curious I can be....