PDA

View Full Version : 45 acp Bullet ???

Muskrat Mike
10-23-2007, 05:53 PM
Since I caught this disease ( bullet casting) a couple of years ago I also have started collecting old molds, Anyway I decided to try some of the ones I got for the 45acp. I never bothered to load much for the 45 being a very casual pistol shooter. I now have the Lyman #'s 452389, 452460, & 452488. Does anyone out there have any experience with any of these. Do they function smoothly? Are there any hints as to seating depth? Any hints as to good practice loads?
Thanks ahead of time!
Mike

PPpastordon
10-23-2007, 07:36 PM
My only experience of those is with the 452460; and that was from many years ago. Back then I loaded it to much higher levels than I would ever recommend - or do - today. However, it fed slick and was as accurate as I could have ever desired.
I do not remember things like the seating depth (the OAL) I would have used. But I do remember I used Unique powder to move the boolit down range at - well, what many would call excessive speed.

don45
10-23-2007, 10:48 PM
I had a four-cavity 452488 for years and cast thousands of boolits. The mold looked almost rusty, but cast perfect boolits. I used ww and alox lube. We used to load a ton of these and take a 3-lb coffee can full's out to shoot. The seating depth was about half way on the last band. I loaded bullseye, unique and 230. I remember the unique loads were hot, probably about max or one grain off from the lyman manual. The feeding was excellent and the accuracy great. Probably the easiest load combination I ever used. I misplaced the mold when I moved but would grab another in a second.

22cf45
10-24-2007, 09:16 AM
I have shot many thousands of the 452460 200 gr bullets cast with WW in bullseye competition. It is a fine accurate bullet. In general, but depending on your pistol, loads of Bullseye in the 3.5-4.0 grs will produce a mild, accurate load. As I am sure you know, you should proceed with caution when working up new loads and start generally at lesser loads and work upward. The 45acp headspaces on the case mouth and the seating depth of the bullet should leave about a thumbnail's worth of bullet shoulder showing. If you leave an excess of shoulder showing, it could interfere with the ability of the headspacing on the case mouth. To check, take your barrel out of your .45 and drop a round into the chamber. The case head should not extend back further than the barrel hood.
Phil

felix
10-24-2007, 12:00 PM
It should be equal to the barrel hood. ... felix

Muskrat Mike
10-24-2007, 05:30 PM
Thanks guys! That's some good information. You've probably saved me from learning some of it the hard way! Mike